OHM SeasonalTexture Orbiter Launcher

Interceptor

Reaction score
Can you please list the files,and textures, where,and they go so I can try to get back the original textures please.Thanks

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
OK, are the textures suppose to look blocky?,or am I doing something wrong?
No, they're not supposed to be blocky, they're supposed to look gorgeous!

I only installed a winter month, I guess it was January (no seasonal installer), and here's how my textures look from 5.000km Alt.

PVfDik0.png

Interceptor

Reaction score
No, they're not supposed to be blocky, they're supposed to look gorgeous!

I only installed a winter month, I guess it was January (no seasonal installer), and here's how my textures look from 5.000km Alt.

PVfDik0.png

But,do the textures look blocky when you zoom in?

Interceptor

Reaction score
I think it's kind of strange that the BMNG textures work fine if I add them manualy,but when I use your seasonal texture changer there all messed up,and also,if I tell it to use the default graphics client,and it always uses the D3d9 client,so I think there are still some bugs.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sure there still is! The textures works fine for me using my launcher. But that's indeed weird ... maybe it is caused by tue CopyFileEx function, in this case it will be resolved with the symbolic link integration.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Without really knowing the insides of the SeasonalLauncher.exe I can think of some other reasons, why this might fail on Interceptor;'s side:

• Spaces in Filenames / Paths
    These sometimes make copy operations fail if not handled (quoted) correctly
  • User Account Control
    Does the Application (SeasonalLauncher.exe) have the right to copy files into the destination folder?
  • File System limits
    Does the file system support files larger than 4GB for example?
    I don't kow what size each texture has, but a FAT32 Filesystem might not be able to handle those.
The latter two points can / must be checked by you Interceptor; the first one can only be fixed by Solarliner; but one can try moving the complete Orbiter Install Folder to a "no-space" folder (C:\orbiter\)

/Kuddel

---edit---
P.S.: Solarliner; , feel free to take input from my "Junction" source, used in D3D9Client when implementing junctions (a.k.a Symbolic links)
(http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#Orbitersdk/D3D9Client/Junction.h & http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#Orbitersdk/D3D9Client/Junction.cpp)

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi kuddel,

For the spaces in filename it's okay, I tested that in the early process of using CopyFileEx, because the conversion from C# string into windows' char[] can do bizzare things sometimes.
Damnit UAC, having it deactivated on my computer I didn't thought about that. And it doesn't returns exceptions on errors, it just goes to the next file.
So Intercept, next time you try, please run it as admin (by right-clicking and selecting the option in the context menu) and see if that helps. If so, I'll be raising the UAC requests for the application.
As for the File System, it has very little chance to happen as individual files are ~1 Gb each and 99% of Orbiter installations are in NTFS format (very accurate poll brought to you by the wonders of my imagination).

Thanks for the links to the Sym links snippets, but being on C#.NET I imported kernel32.dll and used CreateSymbolicLink. The only thing is that target must not exist, so I need to delete them, so here comes the backup point. Will be using the good ol' CopyFileEx and do that on demand.

So, UAC level and backup, along with the symlink. Soon(tm) !

Interceptor

Reaction score
No problem SolarLiner,I will test it out for you.:)

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Hello SolarLiner,I ran it under admin,and it worked a few times,and then blocky textures again,and also it will never change from the D3d9 client to the default graphics client even when I set it to use the Default client.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and also it will never change from the D3d9 client to the default graphics client even when I set it to use the Default client.

This is definitely not due to UAC ! Surely a mistake in the coding there.
Huge thanks for the testing Interceptor !:tiphat:

Interceptor

Reaction score
No problem,anytime,I hope you get this resolved,because it's such a nice asset to have.:tiphat:

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Hey SolarLiner,can you please show how you have your folders for this set up maybe that would resolve some problems,and make it clearer on how to get this addon to work properly.Thanks:cheers:

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello SolarLiner;

another thing that came to my mind was this:
Absolute path vs. relative paths. How does your application handle that?
I mean, what if SeasonalLauncher.exe was started from an unexpected working directory?
For example when one made a Desktop-Link to SeasonalLauncher.exe and started it from there?
Maybe this isn't how the application should be installed, but who knows ;)

Those little exceptional situations are the ones that I spend 90% of my programming time at... :p
/Kuddel

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only times where we have to worry about relatives is when the scenarios are passed to Orbiter. Here, the property that handles the Scenario path is not accessible directly; when you change the value, it pases by the Path.GetAbsolutePath() which will return the absolute path based on the current working directory.

But, for "safety" reasons, if the whole installation folder is moved, the absolute path of the texture folders is absolute, too.