Scott Manley (finally) plays Orbiter !

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
Indeed, I am jealous of them haha, maybe one day I will work in the space industry (anyone from SpaceX is hiring here?) and be a kerbal engineer :lol: . Except I won't wake stuff explode... well, I guess... :uhh:

Unstung

Reaction score
Honestly, I am moderately irritated by the KSP fandom especially when it leaks into things that are not actually related to it. It's similar to why I used to consider myself a brony but now I cannot stand the show or references to it. I'd go to a place to see X and I don't want to see Y, especially when everybody already knows about Y.

There are plenty of things I find irritating are on Reddit, including fans of KSP sometimes. For example, when any relatively famous group or person that's somehow related to spaceflight on Reddit answers questions, there's the inevitable thread or three about the Kerbal Space Program. I get it. Some people with a certain level of interest in space exploration like KSP. Ask them something interesting.

This video of his in particular does not serve well as a tutorial or an advertisement, so I don't consider it good to advertise Orbiter. It's just a "Let's Play" video and has little to redeem itself for people who do not follow Scott Manley's videos or want him to play Orbiter. There are some interesting facts in the video, but much of it is not very helpful when playing Orbiter.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It is good if you think of it as a Let's Play.

He read the manual this time:

And he apparently saw a thread on O-F (16:02).
He may have never seen this thread, but I'm disappointed to see all the negativity towards him. Would you call the above video bad publicity?

What if he tried to join the forum and everyone treated him like crud?

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
That new video is a much better display of orbiter, It shows what some one who has a good understanding of orbital mechanics can do for a first flight after reading some of the manual. Once he has read the rest of the manuals/readme's and got his hands on some of the "tools of the trade" (TransX/IMFD and all the rest of them) he will be off around the system with the rest of us.

Pablo49

Reaction score
He may have never seen this thread, but I'm disappointed to see all the negativity towards him. Would you call the above video bad publicity?

I don't think anyone said anything personally about him. Just the first video he did was a not serious run at a serious simulator. If any existing user posted a low quality video, would you have praised it as good publicity? I haven't watched all of this yet, but he's noted his viewers want more of this content, he's taken the time to read some manuals, check out some threads, and took steps towards making a more solid representation of Orbiter. If he joined today, I don't see him getting 'treated like crud'. And I imagine after seeing how Orbiter really is when you begin to understand it, he'd agree with our original complaints.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I'm neutral towards his feelings and about what would happen.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Nobody would treat anybody like crud. This is just being blown way out of proportion. This isn't even that negative of an thread. I hope he does join orbiter forum so he can learn how to press 'h' any get the orbit HUD and find this awkward conversation about him and say, 'dude, i m right here, I can hear you'. :lol:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
"Not reading the manual will incur the wrath of those who know what they do" - He definitely had read this thread :lol:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that. Actually pretty funny. Also the knockoff shuttle doors that confuse laymen into thinking they ate broken

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A short exchange on the comments section of this video

Wakeupcalldeadend: "Orbiter 2010 is a million times more realistic than this. Amazingly Orbiter 2010 is barely known while this game is succeeding. I guess the crowd finds Orbiter 2010 too difficult so they prefer a dumbed down version."

Scott Manley: "I guess this is why some orbiter fans were mad when my first Orbiter video was me flying the space shuttle into orbit, Manually, on my first attempt, without reading the manual. (which prompted lots of comments about how terrible the orbit was)
Seriously, making disparaging remarks driven by jealousy isn't how you spread the word and recruit fans. KSP has helped bring a lot more players to orbiter, you should welcome them rather than acting like you're better than them."

separationofmind: "There's a lot of nicer people on the Orbiter Forum than this. I originally started with Orbiter and got caught up in KSP. KSP and Orbiter serve two different needs and two different experiences, they both have their merits and both have their downsides. I'd hardly call KSP a "dumbed down" version of Orbiter."

Elitism and condescension aren't good.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Of course we are something better... have some respect of the Elders! :probe:

(Looks that no MSSS players are around)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Elitism and condescension aren't good.

I wouldn't take random YouTube commenters for representatives of the Orbiter community. If you make this mistake, you are vulnerable to all kinds of troll attacks there.

I don't even read comments there, because the quality of them is so beyond every discussion that they are not worth reading. Yes, you may say this is condescension, but IMHO YouTube comments deserve it.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Re-reading the quote from HarvesteR kinda brought back my "project" of making a tutorial series for KSP players that tries to build a "inter-simulations" bridge for people to actually discover and enjoy Orbiter. I even asked the question on how will it be received if I made this series and the results were quite positive !
The thing with Orbiter is that KSP players (well, most of them) think of Orbiter that it is hard sim for the biggest space nerds and that it only covers the "spaceflight" with the DG. So I wanted to make these tuts to make them discover the community and all the add-ons behind it.

I know about blixel's tutorials, but honestly I didn't knew about them by that time (and I should feel ashamed !)

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
"I know they look small, but you have to realize that those SRBs are packed with, you know, solid, high density fuel. The main tank is bigger!" You cannot look me in the eye and tell me that doesn't sound dirty.

Proximus

Reaction score
Most of my knowledge of space flight has come from orbiter as well as this forum and it's members.

I found venturing into the world of KSP surprisingly difficult :huh:

No useful MFD's like Trans x or a docking HUD.
Even when aligning planes I feel I'm just sort of winging it really.

I guess it comes down to what you are familiar with and transferring from KSP to orbiter must be fairly tough.

Both give me a different but equally enjoyable experience.
If I need help with KSP though my first port of call is the OF :cheers:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
One of my friends described the attempted transition from KSP to Orbiter as "Getting hit in the chest with a sledgehammer and seeing if you are standing up afterwards." The learning curve is vertical to begin with for most people.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I like KSP more than Orbiter these days.
It is more of a challenge, since you can make your own ship.
It is more of a reward, since there is terrain at your destinations.
It is a game, while Orbiter is a simulator.

But i agree - without Orbiter background KSP would have been undecipherable and much less fun, so there is that.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The learning curve is vertical to begin with for most people.
I remember reading threads at O-F where people replied that Orbiter has a steep learning curve. Recently I've read a few discussions at KSP Steam Hub where people replied exactly the same thing about the Kerbal Space Program. They are probably steep in different directions if getting from KSP to Orbiter seems vertical. :p

MattBaker

Reaction score
It always depends on what level of knowledge you begin. I remember myself launching Orbiter for the first time and being like "So, if I thrust towards the ISS I'll dock, right?". Then again there is a Scott Manley who studied this kind of stuff and makes rescue missions in KSP seem like pancakes.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It always depends on what level of knowledge you begin. I remember myself launching Orbiter for the first time and being like "So, if I thrust towards the ISS I'll dock, right?". Then again there is a Scott Manley who studied this kind of stuff and makes rescue missions in KSP seem like pancakes.

I wonder how hard KSP would be if I hadn't been using Orbiter for so long. I'm guessing that it would be quite a bit easier to start out on, mainly because of the huge margins of error in KSP compared to Orbiter. In KSP you can see the effects of small burns, while you mainly have to rely on read-outs in Orbiter. (That's why I always tell beginners to start orbiting around Mars)
I find planning burns extremely easy in KSP, but that's likely because I've spent countless hours tweaking maneuvers in TransX.

As for Mr. Manley being a KSP Wiz remember that his vids are edited and post-commentated. Check out the Wiz spending almost 1½ hour getting into orbit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6xjCKsIMk

He never realized that trying to fly faster than terminal velocity is just wasting fuel. But I like watching his channel. It's not always that accurate, but usually quite entertaining.

Arguing which game/sim is better is pointless. They are just different.

Status
Not open for further replies.