Science Sci-Fi Anti-G suit(20-50Gs+) design?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess the debate over whether liquid breathing is comfortable enough to survive will only be solved when someone actually breathes liquid.

Any takers? :hmm:

With only the fluid, you'd not really help it much. Sure, it can absorb short shocks, but not prolongued acceleration. The only way out of that problem is to counter the force of body weight by a force from inside the body. Don't ask me how that's supposed to work, I suck at medicine, but it would be the only way I can conceive to prevent the body from getting mashed...

As far as I understand it, the way such immersion works is, by immersing the subject in a non-compressable fluid, distributing the force over the entire body. To prevent the lungs, for example, from collapsing, they too are filled with fluid.

I'm not entirely sure of how it's supposed to work, but I have a feeling it's at least vaguely comparable to how whales and other such large aquatic creatures can attain huge bulk in the oceans, whereas they would crush themselves on land.

selden

Reaction score
Website
www.lepp.cornell.edu
Don't forget you'd have to fill all the air-filled cavities in the body with supporting fluid, not just the lungs. E.g. sinuses, eustachian tubes, inner ears, etc.

The environment would be much like deep-sea scuba diving to the extent that the body would be subject to very high pressure. My understanding is that cavities in teeth sometimes can be, umm, problematic.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
i would think you could make a gravity bubble and although the bubble would be subject to extreme forces the lab rat would feel slight, if any acceleration

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually an alcubierre-type metric is an interesting idea for achieving high accelerations without destroying the crew/ship. The "spacetime bubble" is moving through space, but in a local sense, the spacecraft is stationary. There would be sharp gradients at the edge of the bubble, but in the middle things would be very slight, and space flat (or almost flat), so the occupants of a ship would experience only microgravity.

In addition, such a system does not need reaction mass, as it is not a reaction drive. It could reach 0.5c or 0.8c or 0.9999999c with ease, and could theoretically achieve superluminal velocities, if it wasn't for problems such as everything inside the bubble turning to quark-gluon plasma.

Of course, even a subluminal bubble has problems. For example, we have no idea of how such a bubble could be created, entered, exited, or destroyed. Add to that the fact that such a bubble would not only require entirely theoretical negative matter and require it to be formed into extremely thin shapes, but it would require a large amount of matter- perhaps on the order of planetary masses- to make it work (even if the negative mass-energy stuff was only needed on the order of a few grams).

In short, if it is possible at all, it'd be very difficult to achieve, and it probably wouldn't be able to go at superluminal velocities, which IMO is the advantage of the whole concept.

At least if you get up to ultrarelativistic velocities normally, you have time dilation, which cuts down trip time dramatically even if your journey takes decades centuries or millenia from the point of view of everyone else. This drive doesn't do that.

Maybe a better option would be to have a ship that rides on the 'outside' of such a bubble- somehow- though that would probably still subject the crew and spacecraft to the high accelerations needed to reach such high velocities.

Last edited: