Science Sci-Fi Anti-G suit(20-50Gs+) design?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
But remember, what we humans like to do is to un-do limits. What we have done in many aspects of our history, airplanes, space craft, space stations, even light-bulbs were at one time considered sci-fi and before that they would be fantasy.
I don't want to start an argument, my post before was more of a joke than anything, and as such, wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey, all science fiction writers (and a good deal of scientists) wish they could un-do limits... :dry:

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like what we really needs is computers capable of holding human brains and emotions.

Edit:Ahh, but that's no fun...

This is really necessary for traveling at light and in excess of light speeds. At my calculations, it would take around a third of a year to accelerate to the speed of light at 3gs of acceleration; and of course comparable to slow down; and we would have to go much faster for interstellar cruise ships to Betelgeuse, right? They've got to be home for work after the weekend...hah; I'm kidding on that part; I would never build interstellar cruise ships in my mind, only interplanetary/translunar ones.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can always immerse the crew in an incompressable liquid, and perhaps incorperate liquid breathing.

With only the fluid, you'd not really help it much. Sure, it can absorb short shocks, but not prolongued acceleration. The only way out of that problem is to counter the force of body weight by a force from inside the body. Don't ask me how that's supposed to work, I suck at medicine, but it would be the only way I can conceive to prevent the body from getting mashed...

At my calculations, it would take around a third of a year to accelerate to the speed of light at 3gs of acceleration; and of course comparable to slow down;

Just keep the acceleration at one G and use the whole year, then. When you travel at sub-light speeds, those additional few months don't really matter that much.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I was once contemplating a vessel that would be capable of accelerating to five nines and back, making a trip to Alpha Centauri in minutes of subjective time, and going so fast would be needed for "locking in the pattern perpendicular to space-time"-part of an FTL drive.
Obviously, the inventor of the ship won't survive waiting 8 years for the unmanned thing to return, so he's going on board.

The ship have a mass of a small moon, powered by total conversion of most of it's mass, and carry a sphere of neutronium at it's nose.
As the acceleration grows, the crew capsule is brought closer and closer to the neutronium, allowing it's millions of Gs of gravity to counter the millions of Gs of thrust.

Haven't figured what to do about tides, but that could be handwaved away as a special shape for neutronium to be in.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
going so fast would be needed for "locking in the pattern perpendicular to space-time"-part of an FTL drive.

Muahaha, as far as Techno-babble goes this certainly is on the cool side :lol:

The neutronium thingy is a nice Idea, but I'd guess it would rather lead to a man being torn in two...

Turbinator

Reaction score
With only the fluid, you'd not really help it much. Sure, it can absorb short shocks, but not prolongued acceleration. The only way out of that problem is to counter the force of body weight by a force from inside the body. Don't ask me how that's supposed to work, I suck at medicine, but it would be the only way I can conceive to prevent the body from getting mashed...

Actually, liquid immersion provides a way to reduce the physical stress of G forces. Forces applied to fluids are distributed as omnidirectional pressures. Because liquids cannot be practically compressed, they do not change density under high acceleration such as performed in aerial maneuvers or space travel. A person immersed in liquid of the same density as tissue has acceleration forces distributed around the body, rather than applied at a single point such as a seat or harness straps. This principle is used in a new type of G-suit called the Libelle G-suit, which allows aircraft pilots to remain conscious and functioning at more than 10 G acceleration by surrounding them with water in a rigid suit.

Acceleration protection by liquid immersion is limited by the differential density of body tissues and immersion fluid, limiting the utility of this method to about 15 to 20 G. Extending acceleration protection beyond 20 G requires filling the lungs with fluid of density similar to water. An astronaut totally immersed in liquid, with liquid inside all body cavities, will feel little effect from extreme G forces because the forces on a liquid are distributed equally, and in all directions simultaneously. However effects will be felt because of density differences between different body tissues, so an upper acceleration limit still exists.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I was once contemplating a vessel that would be capable of accelerating to five nines and back, making a trip to Alpha Centauri in minutes of subjective time.

Nope. The gamma factor at 0.99999c is 223.607, so the tau for the trip would still be over a week.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Nope. The gamma factor at 0.99999c is 223.607, so the tau for the trip would still be over a week.
I meant 99.99999% of c.
We have ~29 seconds of cruise time and 65 seconds of accelerating one way (at two million g, taking 0.0015 le 0.0007le, or 44AU), or total trip time of about 160 seconds.
Just under 3 minutes.

Last edited:

xlns

Reaction score
I once had an idea that astronauts could be carefully electrically isolated, charged up and placed in a homogeneous electric field so there would feel essentially no effects of acceleration. Too bad humans are conductors ... ;)

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I meant 99.99999% of c.
We have ~29 seconds of cruise time and 65 seconds of accelerating one way (at two million g, taking 0.0015 le 0.0007le, or 44AU), or total trip time of about 160 seconds.
Just under 3 minutes.

Well that would be seven nines then, wouldn't it?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
True... but if you haven't noticed, i breathe the air now ;)

However, you can still be made to breathe fluid. If it can suppy oxygen to your lungs, it will do. But it will still be horribly uncomfortable unless done under anesthesia because it will feel like drowning (you will try not to inhale the fluid - it's a wired bodily response) and the laryngospasm that comes with fluid entering the airways is no barrels of fun, either. The whole process would be quite traumatic and actually in The Abyss two of the most harrowing scenes to watch through are related to drowning.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
However, you can still be made to breathe fluid. If it can suppy oxygen to your lungs, it will do. But it will still be horribly uncomfortable unless done under anesthesia because it will feel like drowning (you will try not to inhale the fluid - it's a wired bodily response) and the laryngospasm that comes with fluid entering the airways is no barrels of fun, either. The whole process would be quite traumatic and actually in The Abyss two of the most harrowing scenes to watch through are related to drowning.
And yet they made rats (5 IIRC) breathe that red transparent thingy. They were conscious all the time. Of course, they kept them there until right before the drowning, where you've got a reflex that makes you breathe anything in... and no one asked them how they felt... but they did breathe it...

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
and no one asked them how they felt... but they did breathe it...

That's the catch, until we can ask the rats for a report on the whole experiment, complete with their thoughts about what they would like to do to the lab staff given half an hour in a dark room and lots of industrial-grade tools, I think we're safe thinking that it's not going to be a fun ride.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I know that. I was kinda just saying that i'd rather breathe air. As i'm sure most of us would.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
Indycar driver Kenny Brack survived an accident at Texas with G-forces peaking at 240G's! His spine and ankles were shattered, it took him 18 months to recover. And after all that, he raced at the 2005 Indy 500.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
And yet they made rats (5 IIRC) breathe that red transparent thingy. They were conscious all the time. Of course, they kept them there until right before the drowning, where you've got a reflex that makes you breathe anything in... and no one asked them how they felt... but they did breathe it...

:blink:

Anesthesia sounds good...

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Indycar driver Kenny Brack survived an accident at Texas with G-forces peaking at 240G's!

Yes, for a miniscule fraction of a second. 2400g is 2.35 kilometres per square second, so even if he crashed at 100 m/s, the deceleration only took 63.6 milliseconds. We're talking about subjecting humans to a constant acceleration.