Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well, I'm sure we have others here into building scale models so I thought I'd start a discussion thread for sharing pics, tips, and just general discussions about this hobby.

Below are just 2 projects I've done. I'll post more pictures later as I get some time. Don't be shy, let's see what you've been up to!

U.S. Navy - DD445 Fletcher Class Destroyer:
DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1180.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

DSCN1186.jpg

DD4451.jpg

DD4454.jpg

FW-190
DSCN1300.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

DSCN1303.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

DSCN1322.jpg

DSCN1340.jpg

DSCN1346.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

mrspacely

Reaction score
nice work. not into models personally, i dont have the discipline! but it sure is cool to see such beautiful reproduction of amazing machines! how many hours did the DD445 take u?

Moe

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good work Tex. I´m also into building scale models for the last 32 years (I´m 38 years old). These are my last birds. One FW 190D and a Spitfire in 1/24 scale (Trumpeter).

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

fw3.jpg

fw4.jpg

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks MrSpacely. :) TBH I didn't keep close track of the hours, but I'd guess somewhere around 40-50 hours, maybe..

Wow, very nice models Moe! :speakcool:

I just started the hobby about 2 years ago. The destroyer and the fw190 were my 4th and 5th projects, so I could definately learn from your experience. I love the weathering you did on both planes, very realistic! Thats the area I need to imrove on the most for sure. I use Future floor wax to seal the paint before weathering effects, you do the same?

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Those are some excellent (textured) models, Moe/Tex!
Here is my 1:96 Ariane 5, it isn't even near the quality of your models... Sorry, it is quite messy, but I did it years ago and it may have been broken several times :)

attachment.php

I still have a new Revell Space Shuttle Discovery 1:144 in the box, maybe I should take some time to build that one too...

This is a serious problem when you have so many hobbys, what to do if you like computer programming, flying glider planes, piano, sailing, photography, astronomy, spaceflight, RC planes/helicopters/rockets, static models, aah.....

regards,
mcduck

Attachments

• DSC_9887_small.jpg
    DSC_9887_small.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 65

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This is a serious problem when you have so many hobbys, what to do if you like computer programming, flying glider planes, piano, sailing, photography, astronomy, spaceflight, RC planes/helicopters/rockets, static models, aah.....

regards,
mcduck

hahahaha I can totally relate! I love taking on new hobbies all the time. I figure you only live this life once and theres so many things I wanna do in it! Great model though Mcduck! I need to get me some sort of spacecraft to build. :)

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Yea .. I thought it was only me. My interests keep jumping around. Programing, Web development, Orbiter, Astronomy, Electronics ( havent gone much far there practically), Robotics ( same here too ), Gaming , R/C ( only in dreaming stage so far )

Now my latest thing is telescope making. Haven't started grinding the mirror yet . But I am determined to finish it once I start.

The odd thing is .. I have absolutely nothing I feel like doing when I have ALL the time in the world. When I have loads of responsibilities and high priority stuff coming up (like exams), I suddenly find a lot of things which I feel like doing..

Edit: BTW, that Spitfire model looks really cool

~Thomas

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The odd thing is .. I have absolutely nothing I feel like doing when I have ALL the time in the world. When I have loads of responsibilities and high priority stuff coming up (like exams), I suddenly find a lot of things which I feel like doing..

~Thomas

Isn't that always the truth! I can totally relate! :lol:

Moe

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Tex:

Weathering war aircrafts is very easy:

1.- Apply gloss barnish overall (not to transparent parts, of course). This
is good to apply markings after. Transfers looks really authentic over gloss
barnish (applied with microset and microsol). I only paint with Tamiya colors. The gloss barnish is Tamiya reduced with Tamiya thinner.

2.- Then you must have two oil paints and a bottle of trementina : One black and one brown. The oil paint thinned with trementina fills panel lines and give shadows zones to the model. You can wipe the excess of oil paint CAREFULLY with a soft cloth.

In this point your model looks a bit dirty, but we need more hard-use signs.

3.- Then you apply a bit of Tamiya mate base to the gloss barnish thinned. and spray the gloss zones of the model and over the transfers. In this step the model looks metalic, not only glossy.

4.- Then you can airbrush the smoke, oil and dust effects (this effects are really matt, so you will see the contrast whit the metal semigloss finish).

5.- At last, you can paint scratches and other effects whit a thin brush.

And that´s all!!

Try it. Sure you like the finished model.

Regards. Moe.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Lovely pictures, and terrific models.
I probably kept the Airfix Model Company (and KielKraft)in business during the 1960's!
Very tempted to get back into it, the Tamiya line is quite amazing.

N.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for the tips moe.

I usually dont airbrush weather effects, I find it easier to use oil and do a wash effect for shadows and do dry brushing for the highlights. I always use Tamyia paints, they are the best to work with for sure. I airbrush then apply Future floor wax for protection and then do the weathering.

I have so many kits that need to be built, just need to find the time. I will probobly do some again this fall when its cooler and dryer outside for painting.

Moe

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can choose the ugliest model you have and try on it every tip you like. once, twice,... till the model goes useless. No fear. This is my way to improve skills. And it works. Belive me. ;)

P.D. Yes. I´m a neanderthal modeler. I know it.