SC3 animation query

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm attempting to get the Tortoise's solar panels working, and find my "hit and miss" approach to animation isn't getting me very far.

After the panel assembly folds itself out away from its storage position, I want the panels to unfold. This is the position of the assembly when I'd like this to happen.
panelan2nd8.jpg

My question is do I define the rotation point for the solar panels at position #1 or #2 in the following pic?

panelan1db0.jpg

Also, from looking at Vinka's platform example, it seems that I could have the assembly fold down, and then have the panels unfold. Is this a function of the "Range" definition?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1. You would define the solar panels at position 1, then include the parent definition so they assume the state of the assembly they fold out from.

2. Yes, the simplest way to do that is define both animations for a single sequence. Then, when you define the anim_comp for each both would use that sequence. However, you would make RANGE=0.0,0.5 for the cover, then RANGE=0.5,1.0 for the panels.
Example:
Code:
[ANIM_SEQ_0] ;The sequence for everything.
KEY=K ;Key used to activate animation
Duration=40 ;Time in seconds the animation is supposed to take

[ANIM_COMP_0]     ;First animation, solar panel cover in your case
SEQ=0                  ;Which animation sequence it is
GROUPS=1,2          ;The mesh groups animated
RANGE=(0.0,0.5)     ;This animation will go for 20 seconds*
ROT_PNT=(-1.0,2.0,0.0)   ;The point where the solar cover rotates around
ROT_AXIS=(1,0,0)     ;The axis it rotates around
ANGLE=115               ;How far you want it to rotate (may have to experiment a little)

[ANIM_COMP_1]     ;First animation, solar panel cover in your case
SEQ=0                  ;Same sequence
GROUPS=3,4          ;The mesh groups animated
RANGE=(0.5,1.0)     ;This animation will go for 20 seconds*
ROT_PNT=(-1.0,2.0,0.0)   ;The point where the solar panels would rotate around if the cover wasn't extended
ROT_AXIS=(1,0,0)     ;The axis it rotates around
ANGLE=90               ;How far you want it to rotate (may have to experiment a little)
PARENT=0               ;The solar cover so the panels don't rotate around the initial point
*NOTE: When you're running an animation sequence for 40 seconds and define the range, the amount of time each animation takes is half the time defined in the sequence definition in this case. If comp_0 had range from 0 to .75, then it'd take 30 seconds instead of 20.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks Zatnikitelman,

You've help me to keep from second guessing myself, so I'll give it a try and see what I can do. Your tip on "Range" is particularly helpful as SC3 documentation is rather lacking here, and the API docs aren't terribly helpful either.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Comrade Nomad, let me suggest you look at the animation sequence for the rear ladder on the passenger module of the lander addon I just released. I think if you use that code and tweak it, you'll be good to go.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Greg,

I'll do just that. Funny thing is the last time I logged on I looked at your LSTSR thread and told myself I'd download it as a reward for partial success on my end. Your project's looking really, really good!

Next stop - OH and the latest Burchismo addon. Thanks guys!