News S. Korean Navy frees hijacked cargo ship, kills Somali pirates

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Looking at rate at which the Somalians capture peaceful cargo ships in thier waters, I think they guys have performed cool.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2011/01/21/67/0301000000AEN20110121005900315F.HTML

SEOUL, Jan. 21 (Yonhap) -- South Korean naval special forces successfully rescued 21 seamen and their South Korean-operated cargo ship that was hijacked last week by Somali pirates in an operation that left eight Somali pirates dead, Seoul's military officials said Friday.

"Our special forces stormed the hijacked Samho Jewelry earlier today and freed all hostages," said Col. Lee Bung-woo, a spokesman at South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff.

"During the operation, our forces killed some Somali pirates and all of the hostages were confirmed alive," Lee told reporters.

The South Korean skipper of the ship suffered a gunshot wound to his stomach during the operation, but his condition is not life-threatening, Lee said.

The unprecedented rescue operation by the South Korean Navy SEAL forces, which had been top secret since it started early this week, ended a seven-day ordeal for the crew of the 11,500-ton Samho Jewelry, which was hijacked last Saturday in the Arabian Sea when it was en route to Sri Lanka from the United Arab Emirates.

The rescue operation took place in high seas about 1,300 kilometers off northeast Somalia, Lee said.

Friday's rescue operation came after a brief gun battle on Tuesday when the South Korean destroyer Choi Young, pursuing the Samho Jewelry, detected Somali pirates who apparently got off the vessel to hijack a Mongolian vessel nearby.

The South Korean special forces aboard a fast-sailing navy boat and a Lynx helicopter were dispatched to rescue the Mongolian vessel, sparking the gun battle.

Tuesday's firefight left several pirates missing, and they are believed to have been killed, but their bodies have not been found, the official said. Three South Korean soldiers suffered minor injuries and were sent to a hospital in Oman.

"Three of our soldiers suffered light scratches on their bodies as they were fired upon by pirates on Tuesday," Lee said. "Our Lynx helicopter immediately returned fire and several pirates fell into the waters. We believe they are dead."

Since Tuesday, a standoff between the South Korean destroyer and the Somali pirates had continued. An Omanese navy ship arrived at the scene of confrontation to support the rescue operation.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good. It's great to see action against this growing problem.

I do wonder about the Mongolian vessel though... Mongolia is a landlocked country... :uhh:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good. It's great to see action against this growing problem.

I do wonder about the Mongolian vessel though... Mongolia is a landlocked country... :uhh:

Not so astonishing, switzerland has some commercial ships too. You can own an oceangoing vessel even if your nation doesn't border to any sea.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Of course, but it still does sound a bit strange.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Switzerland have access to the sea via the Danube river?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Danube doesn't flow through switzerland, but I think it is possible to reach it by some river junctions. Still, this is limited to river ships, which would fare pretty bad in the open ocean. And it is about the most uneconomical way to get to switzerland from the sea.

The rhine flowing into the north sea works better for that, but you can't navigate it with a big ship either. There's some cargo shipping done by dedicated river freighters, though.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I've been posting in a certain maritime forum that swift decisive offensive and defensive action is what's needed to curb piracy and discourage such. The lawyers and governments who try and bring forth the point "pirates have human rights" should be tried for treason.

Thus, three cheers for the SK Navy!