General Question Running more than one Orbiter

gsalinas

Reaction score
Hi

Is there a way to run more than one instance of Orbiter 2016 in the same PC withoun virtual machines?

I tried a module but only works on 2010 versions

Thanks in advance

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

Yes, you absolutely can install and run multiple copies of Orbiter, including Orbiter 2016. :) You can simply extract the Orbiter zip file to a directory of your choice and then configure and run Orbiter as normal: settings are saved in .cfg files under the installation folder, not in the Windows registry, so each Orbiter instance is completely separate from the others.

If you want to save disk space, you can even set up a symbolic link to a shared folder containing your Orbiter texture files so you don't need to have multiple (large!) copies of that identical content between identical Orbiter versions (e.g., two or more Orbiter 2016 instances, or two or more Orbiter 2010 instances) -- check out this thread for details. :thumbup:

gsalinas

Reaction score
Thanks by the help.

But i want to run more than one instance of Orbiter at the same time and get the error showed in the attachment.

How can get rid of it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 14

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That error is expected in that case: you can't run two Orbiter instances at the same time; you will need to run them one-at-a-time.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to run both instances at the same time? It's not like you can easily fly two vessels in two windows at once, and even if Orbiter allowed running multiple simultaneous instances, it would certainly adversely affect the frame rate of both instances. :)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You can run one Orbiter with inline client, and one Orbiter with OVP client (e.g. D3D9Client) at the same time. I do that all the time to develop and test multiplayer.

I think you could even run multiple OVPs, if the underlying technology is not forbidding multi-instancing.

gasalinasv

Reaction score
That error is expected in that case: you can't run two Orbiter instances at the same time; you will need to run them one-at-a-time.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to run both instances at the same time? It's not like you can easily fly two vessels in two windows at once, and even if Orbiter allowed running multiple simultaneous instances, it would certainly adversely affect the frame rate of both instances. :)

I wart to use the following addon:
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=b51698c5-3754-40da-9440-4f6d6ac27987