General Question Returning to Orbiter after 2 years. What have changed?

Jet Black

Reaction score
Dear beloved friends

After a 2 year hiatus, I am took a important decision in my life. I decided to return to Orbiter.

I used to play Orbiter massively since 2006. By 2014, I had a huge moon base, a full fleet of DGIV, XR2 and XR5 (and a beloved ArrowFreighter). All these in service at my fictional space liner "AndaSpace". I had excel files with flight logs, fictional costs anda everything (I live alone since I was 17 and don't have a girlfriend for a long long time, so I got a lot of time). I was happy!!!

But after buying a new PC in 2014, I decided to take a chance to other games including KSP. As a engineer, I liked KSP because I could build my ideias and stuff... But.... I was not happy with KSP. Something was wrong... I missed my MFD's... the reentry anxiety, the flying dynamics... the feeling of being in a XR5 cockpit, the ambiance sounds... I missed all.. I tried to dismiss these feelings... I wasn't happy. I started to desire a social life, a girlfriend, sunday movies... No! No! I wasn't happy at all.... During this period, I tried to convince myself that Orbiter was dead. Orbiter was the past... The future is greenish funny creatures driving crazy ships to space... All in vain. When I managed to start reading O-F again.... I felt the true happiness shining on my heart again... So I take the decision to return to Orbiter....

So, can you tell me if there were any new "fantastic mod" like MMU, DGIV and XR during these last 2 years? Do you recommend any new mods for my old Orbiter 2010 instalation?

P.S: I do like KSP, but for me, KSP is a hobby. Orbiter is my real job :cool:

P.S.2: Sorry my awful english. Not my native language...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So you haven't heard of Orbiter 2016 ?

Marg

Reaction score
If you left before April 2014, then be prepared for jaw-dropping views in Orbiter BETA 2016, especially in d3d9 client - terrain, water "shaders", moon's real terrain with closeup microtextures etc...
For example right at the bottom of the:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431&page=235
But it seems there is another leap in process... judging by activities in d3d9 client thread.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbiter 2016 is still in beta, even though it's coming to an end apparently. Orbiter 2010 is still the latest stable release here.

But yeah, over on the beta, the D3D9 Client is redefining the beauty of the sim there, and I am happy to be taking even a very small part in it. :)

Hope you'll find your true happiness here, and apparently you're already on the way there!

ejen341

Reaction score
Orbiter 2016 is still in beta, even though it's coming to an end apparently. Orbiter 2010 is still the latest stable release here.

Solar is there any indication of a release time for v2016? as in what quarter etc etc Just learning 2010 now I hope this new version does not switch gears to much

:)