Problem Reentry and landing fail

Fritz1965

Reaction score
I am using Orbiter 2016, GlideslopeMFD, and BasesyncMFD. Trying for 2 days straight to land my XR2 at KSC and I just can't figure it out. Watched numerous YouTube videos, read all the documentation and after many hours of try and fail, mostly burning up on reentry or skipping across the upper atmosphere, or losing too much velocity.... Are there any specific settings for reentry that work best with the XR2? The numbers as given in the BaseSyncMFD tutorial do not work. I have tried using the XR2's AOA autopilot, and the AP in the GlideSlopeMFD is completely and totally useless.

Last edited:

Fritz1965

Reaction score
No replies at all? Another two days completely wasted so while I do enjoy Orbiter 2016, I will never again attempt to re-enter and land. Too much time wasted in game and on YouTube. A total of four days and more than 24 hours of my time.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
No replies at all? Another two days completely wasted so while I do enjoy Orbiter 2016, I will never again attempt to re-enter and land. Too much time wasted in game and on YouTube. A total of four days and more than 24 hours of my time.
Hey, remember what you're trying to do is actually quite hard, and will take some practice. Just because you didn't successfully land, doesn't mean the time was wasted.

Could you maybe post a scenario that you're working from?

The XR2's attitude hold autopilot is quite sufficient for pretty much any reentry.

Have you tried using Aerobrake MFD? Have you seen this tutorial

It's been a very long time since I used Glideslope MFD, but do you have the right glideslope profile selected?

There are a lot of interrelated things that you need to manage. Could you maybe talk through the technique you're using, or post a short video?

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Wow. :(
This forum is helpful and really friendly, but when people take this attitude we get a bit peeved.

Anyway, now that I have that out of the way:
The XR vessels are, in my opinion notoriously hard to reenter with. If you want to see how a full reentry is done, check out my DarkEnergy addon. It has a reentry autopilot that will automatically take you from orbit down to subsonic over your target base. Once you see how a good reentry looks, try the same technique in the XR fleet.
That's just my two cents. Above all, please don't give up, the learning curve for almost everything in Orbiter is steep, but well worth it! ;)

Fritz1965

Reaction score
Hey, remember what you're trying to do is actually quite hard, and will take some practice. Just because you didn't successfully land, doesn't mean the time was wasted.

Could you maybe post a scenario that you're working from?

The XR2's attitude hold autopilot is quite sufficient for pretty much any reentry.

Have you tried using Aerobrake MFD? Have you seen this tutorial

It's been a very long time since I used Glideslope MFD, but do you have the right glideslope profile selected?

There are a lot of interrelated things that you need to manage. Could you maybe talk through the technique you're using, or post a short vide

Fritz1965

Reaction score
Hi Max-Q, since I'm using the X2 Ravenstar almost exclusively I have made sure that the XR-series "ships" are selected. I have also tried to change the reentry altitude to ~108km, reentry angle to 0.8, and have adjusted those numbers up and down. I have also used the Glideslope's autopilot and when that didn't work so well I used the XR2's attitude hold function in the AOA mode. I have also used that BaseSyncMFD's deorbit mode (manually or using BurnTimeMFD). It seems that I am either arriving at the reentry interface too fast or too high, or both (according to the GlidSlopeMFD display). Another problem is that I am using only the keyboard- I need to find my joystick which is in a box somewhere...
Attached is the scenario that I saved for those repeated attempts.
I looked at the Aerobrake MFD and noticed that the latest version was for Orbiter 2010... will it work just as well in the 2016 "flavor"? I'll take a look at the DarkEnergy addon.

Attachments

• XR2 De-orbit KSC.scn
    5.8 KB · Views: 3

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Hi Max-Q, since I'm using the X2 Ravenstar almost exclusively I have made sure that the XR-series "ships" are selected. I have also tried to change the reentry altitude to ~108km, reentry angle to 0.8, and have adjusted those numbers up and down. I have also used the Glideslope's autopilot and when that didn't work so well I used the XR2's attitude hold function in the AOA mode. I have also used that BaseSyncMFD's deorbit mode (manually or using BurnTimeMFD). It seems that I am either arriving at the reentry interface too fast or too high, or both (according to the GlidSlopeMFD display). Another problem is that I am using only the keyboard- I need to find my joystick which is in a box somewhere...
Attached is the scenario that I saved for those repeated attempts.
I looked at the Aerobrake MFD and noticed that the latest version was for Orbiter 2010... will it work just as well in the 2016 "flavor"? I'll take a look at the DarkEnergy addon.
I have actually never succeeded in landing the XR-2 in Orbiter 2016, so I'm not the one to ask. I have burned up a few XR-2s though... 😬
BaseSync works well, but I'm not really familiar with the others. That said, typically MFDs for Orbiter 2010 should work fine in 2016... most of the time...

Sorry I can't be of more help!