Recon photos of Apollo landing sites

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I understand the issues relating to resolution at a distance that prevent earthbound telescopes and even the Hubble from photographing details of the Apollo landing sites, but now the Japanese have a lunar orbiter called Kaguya with super-high res cameras. I've been very impressed by their HD pictures of the lunar surface.

Couldn't they just take a few pics of the Apollo sites, confirm what we already know anyway, and help to silence the conspiranoids?

It's just that I'm completely sick and tired of the growing Apollo-Hoax bandwagon, and I would like to see it halted right now. I suppose nothing could really silence the hard-core wackos, but it would help convince poor ignorant people who get taken in by their nonsense to see the truth about mankind's greatest exploration adventure to date.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
A few pictures for only some people? They would want to take pictures for science purposes, a million dollar telescope is not worth to take pictures of a descent stage.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi mate...

It's already there, it wouldn't cost much to point it where the sites are. And I really think it's important, I dunno how many Apollo-Hoax wackos you have down under, but where I live there are probably more disbelievers than believers in Apollo. I'd like them to shut up and since they won't listen to reason, a 2008 photo would do pretty nicely.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even the Japanese probe does not make photos which will help you. I think you will need at least 2.5m accuracy to be able to tell that there is a LM. This probe has far lower resolution.

For getting a good enough image, you would need to get something like Hubble in lunar orbit.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We could solve all these problems by just going back, Even if Apollo was fake America would still be the 1st man on the moon

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We all know that the first man on the moon was an American. We even know his name.

CHUCK NORRIS!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
We all know that the first man on the moon was an American. We even know his name.

CHUCK NORRIS!

It was also CHUCK NORRIS who roundhouse kicked all the craters in the moon!

Reaction score
he made a roundhouse kick to the ground and that launched him to the moon

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
We could lock Bart Sibrel in a capsule and shoot him there. We wouldn't even have the trouble of getting him back, because we would leave him there, marooned for eternity in the center of a dead planet, buried alive. Buried alive.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
We could lock Bart Sibrel in a capsule and shoot him there. We wouldn't even have the trouble of getting him back, because we would leave him there, marooned for eternity in the center of a dead planet, buried alive. Buried alive.

I always loved your sig... but... DUDE!
Please call your therapist right away!

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

Revenge is a meal best served cold...

I'll still think it would be an incredible waste of resources to send that idiot to the Moon, even a 1 way trip...

Dogsbd

Reaction score
Website
members.tripod.com
Just for the fun of it let's just say that Kaguya takes excellent, highly detailed overhead pictures of all the Apollo landing sites tomorrow. They're published all over the world.

Why would the Moon hoaxer morons believe these pictures when the don't believe the "excellent, highly detailed" pictures taken from the surface of the moon almost 40 years ago?

It's a lost cause, some people just insist on being idiots and you can't change that with any amount of hard evidence that counters their idiotic notions.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The good thing is: It is possible to reveal manipulations in many bitmaps, if you have the skills and software. The bad news:

There is no skill or software available for making people believe the truth and not what they want to believe...might be the price of freedom.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I realize I missed the boat on the Chuck Norris discussion, but I can't resist:

Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer...

Too bad he's never cried

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Back to the OP, the LRO should be able to do the job. Latest estimates of a launch date are mid to late November 2008. From the Wikipedia article:
LROC — The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) has been designed to address the measurement requirements of landing site certification and polar illumination. LROC comprises a pair of narrow-angle cameras (NAC) and a single wide-angle camera (WAC). LROC will fly several times over the historic Apollo lunar landing sites, with the camera's high resolution, the lunar rovers and Lunar Module descent stages and their respective shadows will be clearly visible. It is expected that this photography will boost public acknowledgement of the validity of the landings, and discredit the Apollo conspiracy theories.