Readme names simple suggestion

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Mostly every add-on comes with its nice readme.txt file in the root folder, and that's 100% ok.
Now, nearly everytime I add...an add-on :) to my Orbiter install, this generic readme obviously overwrites another generic readme (originally the very same Orbiter readme!).

I know it's a very minor problem, and maybe veteran Orbinauts have already discussed on this, but it could be nice if OH could "enforce" in some way, some naming policies when uploading, or just update the "terms of service"....Maybe those readmes could have the add-on names (and version number, too), something like "Readme_AeroBrake0961.txt".

So we could all have a very precise collection of uniquely named readmes and drool at them!

Otherwise, never mind!

:cheers:
:hail::probe:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Or you could create a documents folder and rename the readme yourself.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If we can by default design our addons to use the 'standard' where your addon unzips to the Orbiter folder and maintains folder structure, why not also make it 'standard' for the author to place any documents related to the addon in, of all places, the "addon docs" folder?

Of course, this may introduce another debate - do you use Add-on Doc, addon-docs, or Doc?

My 2 cents.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or you could create a documents folder and rename the readme yourself.

Sure you can, but I am with ripley on this one. It really isn't much to ask from addon-devs to at least name their readme in accordance with their add-on. It doesn't take the dev 5 seconds, which usually is pretty much nothing compared to what he has invested to create the ad-on. For me as a "developer" (I'm stretching the term a bit here, considering my rather basic abilities), good documentation is kind of a question of honor, but even if someone only documents the bare bones you should at least expect him to name his file in a sensible way.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
you guys are starting to convince me. I think having an addondocs/[addon name]/addonname.pdf or .txt wouldn't be a bad idea at all. It's sorta how I've started to arrange them on my install but if the addon devs did it for me... :hmm:

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the idea. That way if you have multiple documents (NASSP, SSU, Shuttle Fleet etc.) They're still all together in their own folder and won't get lost or require a press of ctrl+f.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Plus it provides a nice troubleshooting route. "Have you looked in orbiterdir/addondocs/addon name/...pdf

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Already doing that. Once I get further than a single readme file, will use a subfolder.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
you guys are starting to convince me. I think having an addondocs/[addon name]/addonname.pdf or .txt wouldn't be a bad idea at all. It's sorta how I've started to arrange them on my install but if the addon devs did it for me... :hmm:

What about
Code:
$orbiterdir/Doc/Addons/<addon-name>/<documentation files>
which would avoid the additional entry in the orbiter root directory, or alternatively
Code:
$orbiterdir/Addons/<addon-name>/Doc/<documentation files>
although the latter would only make sense if there was anything other than the Doc folder to put into addon directories.

In case of addons with multiple versions maybe
Code:
$orbiterdir/Doc/Addons/<addon-name>/<version>/<documentation files>

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
TBH, most addons I use already have readme files named so that they don't overwrite each other. Most developers are pretty considerate in this regard, but I agree a consensus standard scheme would be an improvement.

I currently use...
Code:
$orbiterdir/Doc/<addon-name>/<documentation files>
...for my addons. But I quite like this...
Code:
$orbiterdir/Doc/Addons/<addon-name>/<documentation files>