Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not impressed by Starship Troopers, looked like they had fun making the movie though.
Maybe the book is better?

N.

Depends. It starts extremely cool - the cinema in your head will really make the whole movie look boring. Really boring. Heinlein really manages to make you grok what an orbital combat drop with power armor is like. Despite getting on the edge to powergaming, the technology never feels unrealistic or even worse: clownish.

And sadly it then turns into "Professor Heinleins introduction into republican political sciences".

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Libertarian political science. ;)

But the book is miles better than the movie.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Libertarian political science. ;)

Not sure about this one (It isn't really libertarian in its core), but Heinleins other books had been clearly libertarian until it hurts.

Now to something completely different: Is life too short to read the Wheel Of Time series?

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm surprised its just working the hot-plate. Couldn't it do the buns and sauce as well?
Looks under worked.

N.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yay, finally got power back after the storm on Friday. Reported for faculty orientation today and found that it was cancelled due to a broken water pipe in the building, which flooded half of my office.

More wind and rain/snow coming Wednesday. Weee!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now to something completely different: Is life too short to read the Wheel Of Time series?

Read the first book, didn't really grip me, decided to let it be at that...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yay, finally got power back after the storm on Friday. Reported for faculty orientation today and found that it was cancelled due to a broken water pipe in the building, which flooded half of my office.

More wind and rain/snow coming Wednesday. Weee!

Sounds like a great example why mondays should be banned.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Read the first book, didn't really grip me, decided to let it be at that...

For be it's generally been read a bit, get hooked by plot, chew through filler waiting for plot to advance, skip filler, plot advances, realize I need to read back through the filler to understand everything, skip back, get sidetracked by other interests, come back to the series, realize I don't remember which parts of which books I have/haven't read, give up on coming back for the moment, get sidetracked by other interests, come back to the series, actually get started again, lather, rinse, repeat.

It's got just enough quality to keep me theoretically interested in finishing the series in the long term, and little enough quality, and enough creepy pagan metaphysics, that it's somewhat of a guilty pleasure, and is taking me forever to get through. With better quality literature, I could be done with a series of that size well within in a year.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and enough creepy pagan metaphysics

While I appreciate the detail the author has gone to with his magic system, I found I just vastly prefer "rare, fuzzy magic" fairytale style. If I read fantasy, I want something that feels like myth, and a hard, almost scientifically explored magic system just has too many implications on the worldbuilding for it to still feel terrestrial. If I want completely foreign worlds, I prefer them to be located somewhere in space...

Are you really so keen on completely destroying tuesday?

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Monday was great - got my power and heat back and I didn't have to listen to administrators spin lies all morning. Got a lot done.

Shivering my butt off all weekend...not so much.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While I appreciate the detail the author has gone to with his magic system, I found I just vastly prefer "rare, fuzzy magic" fairytale style. If I read fantasy, I want something that feels like myth, and a hard, almost scientifically explored magic system just has too many implications on the worldbuilding for it to still feel terrestrial. If I want completely foreign worlds, I prefer them to be located somewhere in space...

iu

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Monday was great - got my power and heat back and I didn't have to listen to administrators spin lies all morning. Got a lot done.

Shivering my butt off all weekend...not so much.

Well, my monday was sitting around at work for 10 minutes of real work and in summary one hour of assisting coworkers. It was warm, I had power. And I was bored. Its really a big change compared to past 3 years of riding the red line.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A friend of mine was watching the Oscars the other night and discovered that composer Johann Johannsson has died unexpectedly on February 9th. This is quite a shock and very sad news. Although he's mostly known for his movie soundtracks, I first heard of him when I saw him live in Philadelphia several years ago at an electronic music concert, which led to me later buying several of his albums. Mixing synthesizers with strings and creating powerful soundscapes, he created several concept albums which left the details of the "story" up to the listener's imagination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jóhann_Jóhannsson

This track is one of my favorites, from the Fordlandia album, the album I saw him perform live in Philly with just a synth and small string section. I am picturing a scientist/engineer building a fantastic spacecraft alone in his workshop late at night, and it never fails to make my hair stand on end:

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The essential difference of diagnostic methods between a doctor and an ergotherapist:

Ergotherapist:
does this hurt? -no. -Now? -no. -What about now? -hmmm, tingles a bit. -Ok, now? -Yeah, getting uncomfortable now.

Doctor:
does this hurt? -AAAAAARGHYESOHMYGODOUTCH!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The essential difference of diagnostic methods between a doctor and an ergotherapist:

Ergotherapist:
does this hurt? -no. -Now? -no. -What about now? -hmmm, tingles a bit. -Ok, now? -Yeah, getting uncomfortable now.

Doctor:
does this hurt? -AAAAAARGHYESOHMYGODOUTCH!

Nurse: "This won't hurt." = It absolutely will.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
A few years ago I'd needed to get a swab for the flu and another for strep throat. The nurse comes in and straight up admits that this'll be uncomfortable.

Me being the "smart" guy I am say "I'm married with a teenage daughter, you got nothing"

Afterwards after she scraped the one swab around the back of my throat, and push the other one up into my brain via the nasal cavities...

Me (holding back tears); "Wow, I guess you did bring something new to the table"

Good times, good times...