Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thought so... :facepalm:

Sadly, even programming in C11 is no protection against differences between Windows and Linux.

And classic linux server programming with classic linux process management is one level harder, if you come from Windows and Java.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Given "somebody" with decent experience in various programming languages (C++, C#, Java) that has never even used another system than windows, but suddenly and unexpectedly finds himself in the awkward situation of having to develop a complex application involving communication with USB devices and a server communicating in MQTT for Linux (Raspbian to be specific) because Windows 10 core IoT turned out to be useless, where would you tell him to start learning? :shifty:

Been there, done that. IMHO the correct way is to do the system in Python (or at least large parts thereof).

Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss in depth.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Same here, but I feel it was pointless.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It kind of seems to apply to thschool I'm currently visiting... :shifty:

How is it always that instead of teaching you what you really desperately need to know, they seem to be wasting your time by forcing you to learn stuff you really don't?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How is it always that instead of teaching you what you really desperately need to know, they seem to be wasting your time by forcing you to learn stuff you really don't?

Reminds me on my old university. It was less about knowledge than about just making it hard to graduate, so you spend more time there and pay more money.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
As a filthy American who's looking at about 100k to round out his higher education, I thought that the norm across Europe was free College/University, or is it more of a 'get what you pay for' where the free schools are alright, but in order to get a decent education, you have to pay more for it.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score

Ah, the kinds of stuff I'm having right now and I'm hating it so much that sometimes I'm just too lazy to attend the subject (the name of which is mostly Basement material so it'll stay there for good). It has nothing to do with programming and my parents are paying around an extra $250 for a subject that teaches stuff that isn't related to my course.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As a filthy American who's looking at about 100k to round out his higher education, I thought that the norm across Europe was free College/University, or is it more of a 'get what you pay for' where the free schools are alright, but in order to get a decent education, you have to pay more for it.

That depends on the state. When tuition fees became legal as long as they are "socially acceptable", many states instantly decided to take the €500 per semester, except those states, that badly needed the students (for example in the east). Now, that is not really what you compare to a US university or a private university in Germany, but then, you have to include that about €300 had been previously paid for each semester as administrative fee and for supporting the general students committee (and its various dubious sub-organisations, in a pretty corrupt way). That money was not included in the €500, but added.

And now, before you still complain about Germany having a cheap education with around ~1600€ per year: Only 2% here get a stipendiary and affordable loans for university are still missing badly. But if you want to work to afford your studies, you are again limited - the salaries at university are kept artificially low, working too many hours per month results in tax penalties and if you work outside university, you have it much harder to find places for your thesis. Also, often you need to do your practical semesters at university, which again means problems getting money.

And if you hope that this changes after graduation: Wrong. As employee at university, you will often get shoved from 2-year contract to 2-year contract, while wasting your time in internal committees and strange task groups.

Generally, unless you plan going to a more prestigious university in the USA, Germany and the USA are not that far away in the relative costs for your education. Also in terms of quality of education. A good university in Germany must not always be an expensive one, especially if you have very special desires (for example underground engineering). Or get more expansive for popular desires (Beer brewing in Bavaria for example)

On the other hand: If you study only a few kilometers further east from here, you have much better equipment and teachers at the universities and pay only €450 per year... Since many people have already left for the west, attracting students and start up companies at all costs has become a hail mary maneuver there.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Suddenly, RANDOM!

bdn3gbm.gif

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As a filthy American who's looking at about 100k to round out his higher education, I thought that the norm across Europe was free College/University

Not if you already have a primary education it isn't...
Also, just because the colledge is free for you to attend doesn't mean they don't get money for you while you're there... :p

Reminds me on my old university. It was less about knowledge than about just making it hard to graduate, so you spend more time there and pay more money.

They don't really do that, they just start at level -1. I kind of expected that a re-schooling program for people that already have an education would be targeted at people that already have some kind of experience in the field, but it turns out we're getting the exact same schooling program like the normal apprentices that enter at 16, only that they shovel through the program in half the time. They're supposed to make software developers out of us in two years, and the first exam we'll be taking is on bloody microsoft excel.
I was also kind of shocked by how many people shelf out 30'000 bucks to change their profession with no clue whatsoever what their new profession will really be about. The really sad thing is, if they wouldn't start at level -1, 80% of the class wouldn't have a chance to keep up. And there I sit, reading up about composition vs. inheritance architectures while the rest of the class analises the auto-generated hello-world in C trying to figure out what's what, and plotting out the database structure I'll need for that new application my Boss needs while listening to a teacher explaining basic data structuring in excel, trying to get us all fired up with "if you're fast, we might be able to progress to access"... it's infuriating. Not really the schools fault, but infuriating none the less.

Last edited: