Humor Random Comments Thread

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm so my I got my computer running for the first time in several days... Decided to delete a whole bunch of crap and defrag my hard drive. 12 hours later, I wiggled my mouse, the CPU usage shot up then the fan turned on, then it died in the middle of the defrag process. Pretty much any activity causes the cpu to overload and crash.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I would have expected it to go "Boeing Update, do you want to restart now?" mid-flight.

"No, No, NO! Schedule for later!"

Except you were in a full screen app for the last fifteen minutes and didn't notice the restart later window pop up :p

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So it happens there's a second UK royal baby now ... okay. I didn't even know she was pregnant ...

And I don't care, but shhhhh ...

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So it happens there's a second UK royal baby now ... okay. I didn't even know she was pregnant ...

And I don't care, but shhhhh ...

I can't really see how people care about that stuff... The birth of the new child is just as newsworthy as the erotic affairs of the Essex county comptroller.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm so my I got my computer running for the first time in several days... Decided to delete a whole bunch of crap and defrag my hard drive. 12 hours later, I wiggled my mouse, the CPU usage shot up then the fan turned on, then it died in the middle of the defrag process. Pretty much any activity causes the cpu to overload and crash.

Maybe it needs to be reseated with new thermal paste.
Or else, format and reinstall Windows. :p

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
If it's an older laptop it might be clogged with dust. A friend's laptop looked like this (in addition to sounding like a jet plane):
Z223A8b.jpg

Now he can use it in a library without getting beaten to death, which is nice.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I need to figure out how to open my laptop and clean out the dust. I don't suppose anyone is an expert at this?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I need to figure out how to open my laptop and clean out the dust. I don't suppose anyone is an expert at this?

Not really... I opened already all the usual access plates from notebooks, but never really bothered opening the case completely. But it seems to be easy, if you find all necessary screws.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

The disassembly is different for every model, so it's hard to find an "expert". But I haven't yet come accross a model that wouldn't have had complete disassembly instruction videos on youtube. It's really only a matter of making sure that you're not electrically charged before you begin, not to apply blind force, and having a system to remember where to put which screw when you put it back together. If looks are important, get some plastic pliers too. Screwdrivers tend to leave visible marks.

That said, if dust is the only problem you may just want to get some air in a can. Just make sure you don't just blow in there full force, that can get dust into the fans bearings. Careful usually does the trick, though.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
And now for something completely random - a timelapse of graffiti in the making.
Valparaiso, Chile, is full of beautiful street art. And while it's not exactly legal, the police have a "looks pretty? Leave him alone." approach to it.

Tycho

Reaction score
I can't really see how people care about that stuff... The birth of the new child is just as newsworthy as the erotic affairs of the Essex county comptroller.

Honestly, I'm much more interested in the UK General Election this Thursday--a political event with actual consequence.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Honestly, I'm much more interested in the UK General Election this Thursday--a political event with actual consequence.

More consequences than the birth of another first class welfare receiver? This election? You got to be kidding me. :lol:

My prediction for Thursday: Everybody loses.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu

• Look for disassembly guides on YouTube or elsewhere, they are surprisingly common. It doesn't have to be for the exact same model, but one with an identical, or at least similar, chassis (example: for my older Asus K52JC any guide referencing a K52 model would do just fine).
  • Beware of netbooks! The one that I had the pleasure to disassemble required the keyboard to be removed to uncover some screws and a small latch (which broke) which locked the bottom panel in place.
  • In general, but not always, all the screws are located on the bottom.
  • Again in general there is one or more small panels on the bottom which are intended to be user-accessible to reach things such as RAM and drives, plus the above mentioned other screws along the bottom which secure the entire bottom half. These halves will also be clipped together, so a slight amount of force may be required to pull them apart.

Note that all this may or may not apply to modern ultrabooks or other "super-portable" systems.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Also, if your laptop is still in warranty, be careful: depending on the manufacturers policies, opening the case may well void the warranty.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, if your laptop is still in warranty, be careful: depending on the manufacturers policies, opening the case may well void the warranty.

Yeah, not a problem, it's like 6 years old and still runs Vista. But it runs just fine so far; the tech has seemingly matured. My older machines didn't last nearly that long.

I just need to clean the dust out. When I opened my last laptop I somehow broke the fan so it wouldn't spin up, and at that point, with 2 of 4 USB ports failed and XP I decided to cut my losses. I want to avoid repeating that mistake.

Unfortunately, Orbiter ran better on that one than on this one...

MattBaker

Reaction score
The new xkcd is great.:lol:

degree_off.png

Especially when you think about what chemistry will come up next. Probably "I'm the reason you haven't starved to death yet!"

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I worked with a biology grad student who specialized on plants on a project once. She was hot and had reddish hair, and she was also known for being difficult to work with, so behind her back some people called her "Poison Ivy" like the cartoon character LOL.

iu

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The new xkcd is great.:lol:

degree_off.png

Especially when you think about what chemistry will come up next. Probably "I'm the reason you haven't starved to death yet!"

It's very entertaining, but nuclear weapons just make War bigger and badder, rather than creating a new horseman.

And Pestilence has been weakened, not slain. In a decade or two, genetically engineered weaponized disease agents might reverse that turn of events.

MattBaker

Reaction score
And Pestilence has been weakened, not slain. In a decade or two, genetically engineered weaponized disease agents might reverse that turn of events.

It's like the Nazgul at Rivendell. We think they died. But actually they'll come back again.

I don't know what is the ring we'll have to throw into a volcano in that analogy but I'm happy I'm 6'1 and don't have to walk to Mordor.