Humor Random Comments Thread

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I just had the opportunity to witness this myself, as I updated my BIOS in a (probably vain) attempt to keep my pvilion dv3 from overheating when idling... An HP supporter said a BIOS update might help, but I have my doubts.

Anyways, some interesting expieriences with HP support:

Went to HP support page, entered my product number as recommended. Product number was not found.
Entered my Model number. Model number was not found.
Entered only the series, 64 results. Looking for my model, it isn't there. Great...

Back to google, enter complete model number. First search result is HP Driver download site for my precise model. WHAT? Why can google find my drivers better than their support site??

Anyways, it's the german support site. I check the date of the newest BIOS update... It's older than what I have installed. again, WHAT?

Back to google, search for my model again, exclude german results. Right. Back on the english support site where I started, except this time I actually get support for my model. Look at BIOS update, latest version is 3 months younger than my current. I don't expect it to help much, but...

why on earth was the BIOS on the german page a full one and a half years older than on the english? Why do I have to use google to find the download page for my model? Seriously, how hard can this stuff be to get right??

And to preempt all the well-meant suggestions of cleaning my fan and repasting my chip, been there, done that. I have no Idea what the matter is with this piece of junk.

You may have to do like me and downgrade BIOS. (Although I think my problem is not gone...)
Also, when searching exact things related to PCs, Google will point you to malware first... There's a ton of identical sites for every PC model, GPU, OS, antivirus, virus, software, etc. saying "hey, solve your <search term> problem by downloading this!" and, yeah, it's malware. :p

MattBaker

Reaction score
Electrical Engineering
Agricultural Engineering
Marine Engineering

What about water-based agricultural engineering?
Oh no wait, that only happens in 2070 and if you have to work in 2070 I pity you.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Because our class went on a field trip in Manila bay last year and we had to take a boat and i threw up for nearly the entire boat trip and i'm still seasick up this day. :lol:

If Marine Engineering involves staying at boats out at sea, of course...:hmm:

That's what i'm planning to take.
Aw, I am sorry you're predisposed to sea sickness. I love sailing man. I can't wait to buy a 26 footer in the next couple of years. :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Aw, I am sorry you're predisposed to sea sickness. I love sailing man. I can't wait to buy a 26 footer in the next couple of years. :thumbup:

Sounds like a good plan :)

I love being on the water, but I am too far from the coast to do that often. In a month, you will find me paddling down the river here, we have a really nice route organized by the local canoe tour bureau.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
My fascination with sailing actually came from a rafting trip we did. :thumbup:
I don't know. It is something about the seas that I just am captivated by.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sweet! You should come visit. :lol:

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'd think that Electrical Engineering is the one that has the most applications. And one day, if you buy a house and have to renovate the electrical system, you know how to do it safely. Huge fiscal savings.

I've been a working EE for 10 years. Funnily, there's no way I'd do electrical work on my own house; there are civil building code requirements up the wazoo, plus you need a licensing and permitting to even touch your home electrical system. It's ironic because at work, I do wiring for multi-kilovolt systems and work around high voltage all the time.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
That will be a very long voyage! Ahaha. But I definitely was to do Trans-Atlantic eventually. It would be one for the books. :hmm:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I've learned today: Passing a on variable you got as a reference to another function as a reference wreaks EPIC MEMORY MAYHEM!!!!! :lol:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Wow, you must have some money saved up. I could go for a pair of water wings ;)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'm halfway through Stephen Baxter's "Voyage", and (spoiler)

Yup. That really gives NTRs a bad rap, but if you were doing it with 70's tech, it's sadly true. Even today, if you threw the contract to ATK, it'd be that bad. Aerojet-Rocketdyne has the know-how to pull it off, though.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I hear the UK has returned to its rainy self, after what the UK think of as a heat wave.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Interesting find, after watching an documentary about the mission and fate of AE2, the only RAN vessel lost in WW1 and a early submarine travelling 60,000 kilometers during its service:

http://ae2.ivec.org/AE2_Commander_3-D/