Humor Random Comments Thread

Astronut25

Reaction score
VC Interferes with front audio jack

I've got a small question. Whenever the video card is doing something, the front audio jack gets an increadibly irritating screech that can only be drouned out if I turn up the volume to an eardrum bursting level. Does anyone know how to reduce the interferance, or reduce the volume at the jack?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got a small question. Whenever the video card is doing something, the front audio jack gets an increadibly irritating screech that can only be drouned out if I turn up the volume to an eardrum bursting level. Does anyone know how to reduce the interferance, or reduce the volume at the jack?

This has got somewhat rare nowadays. A decade ago it was the most normal thing in the world.

The GPU can produce a significant electromagnetic field, which can transmit to the sound card. The standard old remedy is to place your soundcard as far away from the video card as possible. Of course, in the age of onboard soundchips, onboard graphics chips and laptops, that remedy is only rarely applicable, but then again, the boards are constructed in a way that this shouldn't happen anyways.

So let's try to look at this more closely: You are saying that it only happens on the front audio jack. I assume therefore that it doesn't appear on the rear outlet.
Also, the screech does not gain in volume with the other sounds from the card. I'd say what you have here is good old cable interference (the kind that lets you listen to radio on your guitar amplifier if you use a crappy cable to hook it up). I'd guess that your front outlet is connected by cable to the board, and that this cable is insufficiently shielded and/or passes close to the video card. If that is the case, installing the cable in a way that it doesn't pass close to the video card should get rid of the problem...

If it's not the case, then the cable is just plain crap (no surprises there) and the video card probably pretty strong. In that case, you'll have to get a better cable, but for case-intern connectors this can be a real pain. You'd probably be left with letting someone make a custom one (or make one yourself if you're good enough with a soldering iron).

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Make sure that if the other front jack socket is set as line-in or mic, but nothing is connected to it, and it doesn't have a jack detect function, that it's muted in the volume control.

This has got somewhat rare nowadays. A decade ago it was the most normal thing in the world.
This can still happen on new computers with line-in volume from on-board sound card set high. This way I only heard a hard drive, optical drive, and CPU, but not yet a GPU. :p

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Had that one with an older computer, as you said it was very common several years ago. It wasn't a screech though, but a light continuous very high frequency buzz, the frequency being clearly in relation with the CPU activity (running a program, typically).

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
SPRING BREAK!!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
SPRING BREAK!!
:huh: This one?:
broken%20spring.jpg

:lol:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'll try not to get into to much trouble. If I need bail, can I count on you guys though?

Astronut25

Reaction score
...I'd guess that your front outlet is connected by cable to the board, and that this cable is insufficiently shielded and/or passes close to the video card....
by a 9-pin connector, it looks like each wire is coated and the whole bundle is shrinkwrapped, and has a braid of I'm guessing a Cu/Al alloy.

...If that is the case, installing the cable in a way that it doesn't pass close to the video card should get rid of the problem...
That cut it down by half, but its still pretty bad.

...If it's not the case, then the cable is just plain crap (no surprises there) and the video card probably pretty strong...
I found that the case was contributing a small bit, but it was mostly the cable, and the video card was one of the top of the line in its time, its a GTS 250.

...In that case, you'll have to get a better cable, but for case-intern connectors this can be a real pain. You'd probably be left with letting someone make a custom one (or make one yourself if you're good enough with a soldering iron)...
Do you know of any stores that carry insulated 9-pin connectors? Or have any instructions on how to make your own? I've got a soldering iron and know how to use it. I've already tried wrapping the cable in aluminum foil, it didn't help much.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
16 March: the birth day of Vladimir Komarov, Command Pilot of the Voskhod 1 and Soyuz 1*

(where he died sadly*)