Humor Random Comments Thread

jimblah

Reaction score
Truth hurts, this is killing me.

I've complained because I didn't find out about Orbiter till this year. I've played around with Celestia since ~2001. It never excited me the way Orbiter does so I never bothered to go to their forum to register and get into addon development.

I have an account there now, and here's a post referencing Orbiter back in 2002: http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27&hilit=orbiter&start=15

The only one I need to forgive is myself.
:facepalm:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I happened across the password for Dino run hats (they need to come up with better passwords.) Much fun was had thereafter.

bobasaur.png

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I happened across the password for Dino run hats (they need to come up with better passwords.) Much fun was had thereafter.

bobasaur.png

what's it?

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

"undosed brackets making you feel awesome"?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
what's it?
That would be cheating. :p
"undosed brackets making you feel awesome"?
'Awkward.' It's something my girlfriend posted somewhere after I told her how much all the unclosed left braces ("{") she uses in her filenames annoyed me. I should be more careful with my screenshots. :p
(And oh yes, Rag Tag has a new Firefly out. :D)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
When would MythBusters toss a crowbar into a train's toilet?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm once again slooooowly working on my ractracing program.
Most changes right now have been internal. Made more general ways to map an image to a sphere with aspect ratio of 2:1 or 1:1. Switched from Color class to int[3] (why didn't I do this earlier??).
Here's a picture of some spheres, a plane, and a triangle, antialiased with 256 samples per pixel. (though it took only 128 times longer than 1 sample/px o_O)
http://img846.imageshack.us/i/screenshotht.png
I'm not entirely sure why I can see the "Earth" sphere in the left part of the red sphere.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was reading Spaceflight Now and just realized... hey, that ship looks like a Mig105 / Spiral !!

dreamchaser.jpg

... and of course, the DreamChaser comes from the HL-20, which was largely inspirated by the soviet BOR-4, part of the Mig105 / Spiral / Uragan lifting body program...

The Dream Chaser is based on the aerodynamic shape of NASA's HL-20 lifting body, a concept studied by the Langley Research Center as a safer, less expensive option for human space transportation. Although the HL-20 never flew, its design was borrowed from the Soviet Union's BOR-4 space plane that was tested in Earth orbit in the 1980s.

Sierra Nevada updated the HL-20 concept with a composite structure and a hybrid rocket motor.

The more I learn about it, the more I like it ! :cool:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Oh no, we've lost another one. :lol:

Apparently the language isn't overly confusing to learn, if you have the time to spend on it.
Well I'd agree with that, I learned quite a bit when I was in Perth for a year, but as soon as I got back it got 'phased out' of my memory by learning French. :(

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I'd agree with that, I learned quite a bit when I was in Perth for a year, but as soon as I got back it got 'phased out' of my memory by learning French. :(
Yeah, that happens. I used to be very fluent in French but after spending so much time using exclusively English, I'm reduced to broken sentences and mad flipping through the Bescherelle. :(

Il va et vient, je suppose. :shrug:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Burned again by Microsoft's habit of being paranoid on the user's behalf.

Of course, why I continue to use the Microsoft Live account my university set up for me as my primary account when I have others is beyond me (mostly momentum from when I was still in school, I think), but Microsoft seems to think that automatically stripping *.exe files from E-mails, even when they are in a *.rar, is being user friendly. "We don't want our users to catch viruses". And there is no way to turn off that filter, so if it's *not* a malicious executable from [email protected], but rather something you were *expecting*, that's just too bad. :beathead:

We have that problem at my company, and also with the company we are outsourcing some of our website work to. Google blocks .vb and .bat even if they are in a zip file. We were able to get around it this last time by zipping the files, then renaming the zip file to a .doc. The filter didn't flag it or scan it, and we were able to send the files through no problem.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"That gravity should be innate, inherent, and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance, through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an absurdity, that I believe no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it."

-Sir Isaac Newton. Take THAT, Einstein. Your faculty of thinking in philosophical matters is incompetent.

Oh, how I love irony in history.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
We have that problem at my company, and also with the company we are outsourcing some of our website work to. Google blocks .vb and .bat even if they are in a zip file. We were able to get around it this last time by zipping the files, then renaming the zip file to a .doc. The filter didn't flag it or scan it, and we were able to send the files through no problem.

Any .exe or .bat file even if it's from a trusted source should be treated with the utmost suspicion because you don't know if their machine has become infected with a virus which mails itself out.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I just spent time in the bath tub for the second time today thanks to another tornado warning.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Any .exe or .bat file even if it's from a trusted source should be treated with the utmost suspicion because you don't know if their machine has become infected with a virus which mails itself out.

A trojan/worm that mails itself out wouldn't be an issue here, as not only was the sender trusted, but the sender had informed me that it would be arriving (and I had in fact requested that it be sent).

Now, a *virus* in the strictest (computer related) sense of the term (a program that copies itself into legitimate programs and runs when they run) would be a potential threat here, and would not even need to deliberately mail itself out: It could just infect all executables on a system and then be mailed out whenever one of them is mailed out legitimately.

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

"That gravity should be innate, inherent, and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance, through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an absurdity, that I believe no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it."

-Sir Isaac Newton. Take THAT, Einstein. Your faculty of thinking in philosophical matters is incompetent.

Oh, how I love irony in history.

I don't think you understand what Newton was saying. He was basically saying "My theory, as it stands, can't be the whole story", and in other quotes, he basically added to that, "but I don't know what the rest of the story is".

He would have given Einstein a big sloppy wet kiss, because General Relativity, while it doesn't solve all the problems he had with his own theory of gravity, did at least solve some of them.

And Einstein had a lot of the same reaction to "spooky action at a distance" in quantum physics that Newton had to "action at a distance" in his own theory of gravity.