Humor Random Comments Thread

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Int'resting. I was browsing Wikipedia, and apparently the US military is still giving out the purple hearts it manufactured in WWII in anticipation of the invasion of Japan. They expected 500,000 wounded and killed in the first 90 days, should an invasion be necessary, so they made 500,000 purple hearts. By 2003, there were still 120,000 left.

So it's August of 2008, and the US military still hasn't suffered all the casualties it expected to suffer by January of 1946.

That would be interesting as an alternate-history work, maybe a movie or a video game. Time to drag out the ol' What If Machine!

Native Son

Reaction score
Finally, power is back after three days of hot and humid weather. Damn storm uprooted trees everywhere and took out the power lines. The EF-2 tornado just missed us by a few blocks and I'm glad my roof is still intact!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Finally, power is back after three days of hot and humid weather. Damn storm uprooted trees everywhere and took out the power lines. The EF-2 tornado just missed us by a few blocks and I'm glad my roof is still intact!

Tornado's are known to destroy one house, and leave the house next to it hardly damaged.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Tornado's are known to destroy one house, and leave the house next to it hardly damaged.

Yeah. You saw the same in Rothenburg last week. I don't know which classification the tornado had, but it only wiped through a single road and caused damage there. Was sure no microburst by the damage pattern.

This year was so far pretty calm, with only 16 confirmed tornado sightings here, usually we have around 90 in Germany per year. And the strongest so far was a F2, I would say the Rothenburg event was on a similar scale - a strong F2 or a weak F3.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Only 16? I saw more than 16 here!
300px-Tornado-1.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
I have never seen a tornado.. not so common in spain (even less in Canary Islands).

The worst weather phenomena i've suffered was Tropical Storm "Delta"

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Well, we don't get tornadoes here, but we had a real bad hailstorm on Friday with hailstones up to 7cm in radius...lots of cars badly damaged and even a few street lamps crushed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have seen two tornadoes now myself, was relatively close to two other without being able to see them (one passed only 500m away from my house), had a dust devil next to my house and had two other tornadoes damaging the property of relatives or friends.

A dust devil is a pretty funny thing, but I can only recommend distance to even the weakest Tornadoes. The closest I ever was when seeing one was about 1 km, was pretty scary.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I went to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney last Friday. Highlights were:
- the life size F-1 engine (I haven't been able to find out if it is just a model or the real thing).
Well, the museum responded. Yes, it was a real F-1 :speakcool:
The F-1 engine on display has been made available to us on long-term loan from the National Air and Space Museum in the United States. The engine was actually used as a test-bench item by its makers, Rocketdyne, and was test-fired several times before being consigned to the NASM to become part of their collection. It was originaly loaned to the Powerhouse in 1987 for inclusion in our first Space display, and has remained on loan to us since that time.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have seen two tornadoes now myself, was relatively close to two other without being able to see them (one passed only 500m away from my house), had a dust devil next to my house and had two other tornadoes damaging the property of relatives or friends.

A dust devil is a pretty funny thing, but I can only recommend distance to even the weakest Tornadoes. The closest I ever was when seeing one was about 1 km, was pretty scary.
I've always been a fan of dust devils. Fun to play in, but it is unsettling if one is strong enough to pick you up and toss you around...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Farewell to one of the greatest musicians of the last century:

(Well, I think, all greater songs of him will now be repeated until we'll get sick of them, so I had chosen one of his less known greatnesses)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh well, happy hunting. But stay away from cousins. Or other more or less distant relatives.