Humor Random Comments Thread

MattBaker

Reaction score
After the polnish army had been effectively gone.

But not totally. There were still six-figure numbers left. It was still an invasion and not a "Soviet here!" - "Kurwa, I surrender!".
And it doesn't matter how hard you fight a war, in the end you always feel superior when you've won, especially if you failed a war against the same guys before.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually it was something like that. Most of polish troops has been given order not to fight with soviets.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
After the polnish army had been effectively gone.

Also, not even the purge explains the errors done by the big guys including Stalin during the first days - Most losses of the USSR happened during the first few weeks of the war and had been extremely grave. Still people had been pushed with the wrong equipment into the wrong war. The Soviets entered Finland with green helmets and green uniforms - and never changed it.

Well, first and most serious mistake made by Soviets was underestimation of the Finnish fighting potential. But I should say everyone else underestimated Finns too, and it was one of the factors forced Germans to believe Red Army is weak and easy to defeat since it was unable to crush even this small country.
You have to take into account that Red Army never had a serious combat experience before (Civil War was just a bloody massacre). Winter combat, submachine guns, snipers, wide use of minefields - all these factrors were new for unexperienced Red Army commanders. Everyone who was able to take right decisions about it was already in jail or in grave because of previous purge, so acting commanders had to learn it hard way.
Green uniform on snow wasn't the most stupid thing on this war. In my opinion the worst was using the chain fighting formation against machinegun bunkers. I've heard reports about Finn machinegunners getting insane because of the amount of people they've killed and, most of all, because they kept coming over and over again.

Have in mind too that Soviets won this war, even thought it was a Pyrrhic victory.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, funny is maybe the wrong term there. but it really makes you wonder why such a guy was in power and not murdered on the first day.

Well, there have probably been quite a lot of secret plots but :

Stal(h) - in = Steel - man

He didn't earned that nickname for nothing... He certainly had a very high survival skill in dangerous political environnements. Which implies a severe tendency to paranoïa, that the mustache guy from Austria probably didn't helped when he broke the pact and sent his troops die in the Russian Winter.

Also in the news :

- EADS Defence & Aerospace is going to fire no less than 5,000 or 6,000 employees around the World.
- France invaded Central Africa. Seems we have decided to unite Africa by the arms.

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
N_Molson said:
- France invaded Central Africa. Seems we have decided to unite Africa by the arms.

It's not just France, it's African Union forces too, and in much bigger amount.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seems we have decided to unite our people behind one cause.

Then it is another epic failure. People don't give a damn, really.

Another reason might be to keep the military busy, given that a nasty computer bug is messing with their pay for 2 years. Never mess with the pay of the armies.

It's not just France, it's African Union forces too, and in much bigger amount.

Well, in theory yes but practically their troops are untrained and have little other equipement than an AK-47 and a maybe a spare clip. One of the goals is to train and equip properly 20,000 african soldiers in the next months.

The opposition encountered is also extremely light armored, and more raiders than an organized force. Several patrols of APCs in town have been enough to rout them.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Have in mind too that Soviets won this war, even thought it was a Pyrrhic victory.

Yes, because Finland had the problem that the early easy victories were over and the soviets became harder to kill - also the supplies had been slowly running out.

Still, it is impressive that the Soviets lost one order of magnitude more soldiers than the Finns. In the cold war, it was already heroic to survive against 6 times more soviets and only expected to hold against a three times as many soviet forces.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I guess that Finland, with the snow, the forests, the mountains and its peninsula shape is also some kind of natural forteress. And Finns have a long tradition of hunting and skiing in such an environnement.

Another case where guerilla tactics were severely underestimated.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I guess that Finland, with the snow, the forests, the mountains and its peninsula shape is also some kind of natural forteress. And Finns have a long tradition of hunting and skiing in such an environnement.

Guerillas with reinforced bunkers are guerillas squared.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

Well it certainly didn't help that the Finns had one of the deadliest marksmen of the 20th century...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That too. I foresee an interesting duel between Finland & Russia for the Winter Biathlon (ski/carabine) at Sotchi ! :yes:

Hehe, it is already the morning in Russia, the evening in the USA, which means it is more than time for me to go to bed. :goodnight:

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
1483220_718769974810683_97803309_n.jpg

MattBaker

Reaction score
I let you know I saw your picture and only nearly vomited four times.
Why can't the Japanese hunt this kind of whales?

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Now I feel really thin.

You're a programmer. Programmers always forget to eat while coding. Don't you watch TV?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You're a programmer. Programmers always forget to eat while coding. Don't you watch TV?

I am a software developer - software developers also write manuals and development documentation and prefer to forget this task often. :lol: