Humor Random Comments Thread

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
series about Horror Punk band where I worked Gaffer (I just need to know which actor is playing me. ) 🎻💀

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
It's just awesome to have a look at METAR, TAF and GAFOR data in order to perform realistic VFR/IFR flights in MSFS using real charts for navigation and live weather in MSFS. And then have a random look outside the window at home just out of curiosity, to realize that the sky looks almost exactly the same as it does in MSFS (departure airport just being a few miles away from home). While the new flight model/turbulences just completes the almost perfect illusion of flying (not to mention my "Buttkicker" I just got a few days ago).

Who knows what the future of virtual flying might look like. But one can only expect more awesome stuff to come... 😍👌

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's just awesome to have a look at METAR, TAF and GAFOR data in order to perform realistic VFR/IFR flights in MSFS using real charts for navigation and live weather in MSFS. And then have a random look outside the window at home just out of curiosity, to realize that the sky looks almost exactly the same as it does in MSFS (departure airport just being a few miles away from home). While the new flight model/turbulences just completes the almost perfect illusion of flying (not to mention my "Buttkicker" I just got a few days ago).

Who knows what the future of virtual flying might look like. But one can only expect more awesome stuff to come... 😍👌

Sadly, this doesn't work well on sailing Sims, too many discontinuities, instead of a smooth transition from extrapolation to current weather.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used to be very fond of firefox, but the introduction of the "I'll update without asking if it's convenient and tell you I need a restart afterwards"-feature has put somewhat of a dent in that. The recent introduction of the “I’ll crash your new tabs without giving you reasonable feedback after secretly updating without telling you about it”-feature does not improve things.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
I used to be very fond of firefox, but the introduction of the "I'll update without asking if it's convenient and tell you I need a restart afterwards"-feature has put somewhat of a dent in that. The recent introduction of the “I’ll crash your new tabs without giving you reasonable feedback after secretly updating without telling you about it”-feature does not improve things.
It's equal to Windows update - the only thing I complain about regarding Windows 10.

As for browsers: I became an Opera GX fanboy. Firefox is aging I think. I even prefer Chrome over it.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
For me it was the ads when I first opened it.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hmmm! When I open my laptop, Microsoft displays some random picture of the day. This evening it was "Alpine scenery in Wolfenschiessen, Switzerland. So I looked up Wolfenschiessen in Wikipedia, it's a village in Nidwalden. The name Wolfenschiessen sorta rang a bell from my very small smattering of German that I know from my heritage, so, I went to Google Translate, plugged in the name and came up with 'Wolf shit'. Wikipedia didn't say that!
Interesting. Sure would be interesting to find out the history of how that name came about.:poop::p

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hmmm! When I open my laptop, Microsoft displays some random picture of the day. This evening it was "Alpine scenery in Wolfenschiessen, Switzerland. So I looked up Wolfenschiessen in Wikipedia, it's a village in Nidwalden. The name Wolfenschiessen sorta rang a bell from my very small smattering of German that I know from my heritage, so, I went to Google Translate, plugged in the name and came up with 'Wolf shit'. Wikipedia didn't say that!

That would be Wolfenscheissen.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I went to Google Translate, plugged in the name and came up with 'Wolf shit'.
Huh... I really thought google translate had gotten better than this...
You would at least expect it to recognise that "Schiessen" means shooting. The conflation into a village name would seem to suggest something like "where they shot a wolf".

But of course that's completely inaccurate, because this is a) Switzerland, and b) the name predates even old new german.
Apparently "Schiez" (apparently from latin Scio, thus related to old english sceat) is an old form of the modern "Sitz", which can be translated to english as "Seat". Whether literally as furniture or more abstractly Home. Wolf, then, most likely refers to a name (there seems to be uncertainty about whether Wolfo or Wolfhar, both names to be known to exist in the period), and this was their family seat.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Huh... I really thought google translate had gotten better than this...
You would at least expect it to recognise that "Schiessen" means shooting. The conflation into a village name would seem to suggest something like "where they shot a wolf".

It might not be Google translate. English speakers don't always get ie/ei the right way around in German (heck, we don't always get it the right way around in English), and even people who have a good handle on spelling can still mistype. Arvil can tell us if he thinks there's a possibility he mistranscribed it into Google Translate. If he's sure he didn't or if he just copy-pasted it, OTOH, then Google translate made a rookie mistake.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But of course that's completely inaccurate, because this is a) Switzerland, and b) the name predates even old new german.
Apparently "Schiez" (apparently from latin Scio, thus related to old english sceat) is an old form of the modern "Sitz", which can be translated to english as "Seat". Whether literally as furniture or more abstractly Home. Wolf, then, most likely refers to a name (there seems to be uncertainty about whether Wolfo or Wolfhar, both names to be known to exist in the period), and this was their family seat.

Yeah, that happens quite often here as well. Braunschweig for example. literally "Brown Silence". But actually, in the local low German dialect, its "Brunswick" (Same is the English name, BTW), and comes from the "Bruns Wick". Brun was the name of a local king of a Germanic Community, a "Wick" is a village. So, actually it means "Brun's Village" (Like you also have wit Warwick)

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Aha! Yeah, my bad. Google Translate/German-detected to English:
Wolfenscheissen = Wolf shit
Wolfenschiessen = Wolf shooting

Makes much more sense. I knew about the 'ei' and 'ie' thing as a pronunciation guide from the PA Dutch and German, but, typed it in wrong in Translate. I wonder how many get mail there misspelled?