Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No, they are ok. They keep bees.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Mhh... got the ususal symptoms of a slight cold earlier this week. Only a slightly rough throat. Usually when this happens I always get a cough or bronchitis within the next few days. Didn't happen this time. I did a Covid test on wednesday. It was negative. Yesterday I woke up with slight fever., headache and a strange feeling of pressure in my eyes. I had difficulties reding text on my tablet. Took antipyretic pills and spent the day in my bed. Today I"m actually fine, but the pressure in my head and eyes still exists, plus a slight dizzines/vertigo. I actually don"t feel too bad but it just feels strange/unusual somehow. So I did another Covid test... this time it was positive. Did another one to make sure it's positive.

I would attribute this mild course to the vaccination. The slightest and quickest "cold" I ever had. And wow, no cough this time 👌 (my bronchia feel veey fine). But it definately feels different than just the ususal cold. I really don't want to know how this would be without the vaccination... (that pressure in the eyes and vertigo is very strange)...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Nasty I hope you are recovering.
I got clobbered in March this year. A persisitent cough that got worse when I tried to lie down. I ended up sleeping in a chair. Eventually I had to call the ambulance.
Spent the next night in AE in a cubicle, sitting up with an oxygen mask being monitored. Before they threw me out( joke ) Doctor didn't quite call me an idiot, but any problem with breathing is very dangerous and I should have called earlier. I've had three vacinations, waiting for a fourth.
Its left me with a deep sense of how unpleasant this virus is and I'm still not back to my regular activities. Perhaps never will?

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Nasty I hope you are recovering.
I got clobbered in March this year. A persisitent cough that got worse when I tried to lie down. I ended up sleeping in a chair. Eventually I had to call the ambulance.
Spent the next night in AE in a cubicle, sitting up with an oxygen mask being monitored. Before they threw me out( joke ) Doctor didn't quite call me an idiot, but any problem with breathing is very dangerous and I should have called earlier. I've had three vacinations, waiting for a fourth.
Its left me with a deep sense of how unpleasant this virus is and I'm still not back to my regular activities. Perhaps never will?
I hope not! It might just take some time. The daughter of my girlfriend still has issues with her bronchia but it's very minor (she got Covid two months ago). We did a lung function test (I have a spirometer at home). And her values were very good. I did a lung function test by myself on wednesday and it was very good as well (less than usual but still above 100%; sportsman-lumg).

I'm surprised. Ususally I'm always prone to cough and bronchitis since I have a slight form of allergic asthma (pollen in the summer but due to sports and modern medicine I'm perfectly fine unless I get a cold). I'm very glad there is just nothing this time. Actually it feels like the end of an influenza while the nasty part was just skipped. Must be due to the vaccination. So even I would consider another fourth vaccination although I'm still far away from being 60 years old. You never know...

I hope you fully recover!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
advertisement bots can be rather funny at times.

While googling for the solution to a problem (because that's how software developers solve 99% of their problems) I got an add that offered me to "work a USA job from your home in Zurich!"

Let's start with the little fact that I'm not living in Zurich, but that's minor. Next up there's the issue that working a US job from Switzerland is not very attractive - our living costs are higher than in the US, and so are our salaries. But the real killer is the image that this thing put on the add: A bunch of indian women in traditional garb sitting on the floor around a laptop... :ROFLMAO:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Human problems are often so temporary, exaggerated and short-lived. But yet they recur once in a while. And the older I get, the more relaxed I become...

As we are talking about human problems: Did the train system sabotage in Lower Saxony have any impact on your work?

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
As we are talking about human problems: Did the train system sabotage in Lower Saxony have any impact on your work?
No. I wasn't at work 😜 I'm still recovering from Covid19 (still positive and slight coated bronchia). But I didn't hear anything except in the media because it was only a relatively short malfunction that didn't affect my area. Otherwise I would hear something via WhatsApp pretty quick.

Chaos happens every know and then just within seconds. As a train driver you are used to it. But in most cases I am either at home, so it's gone when my shift starts. Or the chaos starts just after I ended my shift... 😂

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No. I wasn't at work 😜 I'm still recovering from Covid19 (still positive and slight coated bronchia). But I didn't hear anything except in the media because it was only a relatively short malfunction that didn't affect my area. Otherwise I would hear something via WhatsApp pretty quick.

Chaos happens every know and then just within seconds. As a train driver you are used to it. But in most cases I am either at home, so it's gone when my shift starts. Or the chaos starts just after I ended my shift... 😂

Thats good timing. :D We had some more substance to the usual chaos here, because the trains from Cologne to Berlin now also had to drive via Frankfurt. Many weird accidents happening right now. the north stream sabotage, the leaking Drubna oil pipeline in Poland, the sabotage on the German rail network, (But that could have been more related to the usual extreme left sabotage against the railroad)

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Yay got Saturday off work.
But I'm working Monday.
Yay 15 hours of overtime for 12 hours of work.
But 6 day week next week.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Thats good timing. :D We had some more substance to the usual chaos here, because the trains from Cologne to Berlin now also had to drive via Frankfurt. Many weird accidents happening right now. the north stream sabotage, the leaking Drubna oil pipeline in Poland, the sabotage on the German rail network, (But that could have been more related to the usual extreme left sabotage against the railroad)
And the electrical blackout on Bornholm. Too many accidents.

It's a miracle that there wasn't a terrorist attack on the railroad for now. It is actually freely accessible. Just wear a helmet and a reflective vest with a DB logo on it and nobody would ask what you are doing on the railway track. Compared to that it is barely possible to do anything stupid at an airport or aeroplanes these days.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And the electrical blackout on Bornholm. Too many accidents.

It's a miracle that there wasn't a terrorist attack on the railroad for now. It is actually freely accessible. Just wear a helmet and a reflective vest with a DB logo on it and nobody would ask what you are doing on the railway track. Compared to that it is barely possible to do anything stupid at an airport or aeroplanes these days.

Thats what those dudes tried who wanted to steal copper cables from the local railroad track. The plan was good.

What failed was the tiny coincidence, that the station building had been turned into the house for the family of a big railroad fanatic, who also collects some trains and who knows exactly what is regular activity at the railroad here and what not.... The thieves didn't even have a chance to escape.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a cup for me... I'd only get annoyed about how .Empty should really be called .isEmpty to more clearly imply its boolean nature, because there's only two hard things. Also, from the conventions (captial letters at the public members) I can only infer that this is C++, which makes me wonder about the access protection of that property (because it clearly isn't a method). Can somebody else just empty my coffee by accident? Also, why is .Empty an apparently settable state? Clearly .Empty should be a getter that returns true or false based on the fill content of the mug, but I'm pretty sure C++ doesn't have any tools for hiding getter implementations behind property accessors.

And then I'd go on ranting about how the pervasiveness of Oo has lead to utility methods carelessly getting placed where they don't belong. Like, why would .Refill() be a method of coffee? Does really anybody expect a coffee to refill itself? No, obviously you need something to refill it with. And that something could be various sources, like a coffee machine, or a pot, or a thermos, and for the coffee to have the ability to refill itself it'll at least have to know the interface of some coffee refiller, while it wouldn't have to care about that if somebody's been sensible enough to realise that no, really, Coffee doesn't need the ability to refill itself, and that maybe we should have put the refill method into whatever actually refills the coffee, or make it a utility function in a functional namespace entirely.

All in all, I'm having serious questions about the architecture of that coffee! I have finished my pointless pedantic rant now! :ROFLMAO:
Also, I don't drink coffee...

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Thats what those dudes tried who wanted to steal copper cables from the local railroad track. The plan was good.

What failed was the tiny coincidence, that the station building had been turned into the house for the family of a big railroad fanatic, who also collects some trains and who knows exactly what is regular activity at the railroad here and what not.... The thieves didn't even have a chance to escape.

If it's who I think it was, I don't think the sabotage was intentional. Or, at the very least, not without outside (mis)guidance. Sure, they have a very pronounced us vs them culture and may not even fear jail that much, but most of them are even illiterate etc.. Sure, criminals by force of habit, but probably not willing to cause loss of life etc. Even if prison is sometimes seen as a badge of honour, they still don't want to die there, I guess. Reminds me of an incident when some iron scavenger nearly detonated himself and half the neighbourhood by stealing a pipe from a working chemical plant. He somehow either removed a pipe that was under pressure, or somehow messed around and created a flammable leak otherwise. Then he went for the Darwin awards by promptly crossing the adjacent railway and un-aliving himself electrically, pipe in hand. Yes, they're dangerous as in they have criminal experience and little hesitation to strike, but even 10 years ago, most of them literally had no formal education, let alone high-school etc..

As for coffee, I used to drink it like water, as in 'worse than the beers'. Quit coffee back in 2020, and only enjoy it cccasionally nowadays, but I found a bigger nemesis in energy drinks. Or more like the sugar cravings that come with habitual use of energy drinks etc. . As far as booze goes, it seems I didn't have much problems even going from daily drinking strong beers to zero, but the sugar cravings come back even after weeks when I quit downing Monster or RedBull

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Not sure how much of this re-wilding is a good idea. How endangered is the European Bison?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How endangered is the European Bison?

There are only 9112 of them in the whole world. 6819 are wild, 501 in half-wild herds and the rest in zoos.

I'd say, its pretty endangered like that.