Humor Random Comments Thread

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Fun fact: Assuming the horsepower to in fact be the bolometric luminosity of a horse at work, a horse is a 64th magnitude object (absolute). At a distance of 10 feet, this corresponds to an apparent magnitude of about -21. At a distance of 8.6 inches, this corresponds to an apparent magnitude of about -26.75.

So a horse at 8.6 inches is about as bright (bolometrically) as the sun at 1 AU.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That's only for a spherical horse in a vacuum, however.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

And I am sure, it must be a perfectly black horse as well for that. So likely a Frisian. What quantum states are possible for spherical Frisians in vacuum on excitation? Can two Frisians even occupy the same quantum state?

Linguofreak

Reaction score

And I am sure, it must be a perfectly black horse as well for that. So likely a Frisian. What quantum states are possible for spherical Frisians in vacuum on excitation? Can two Frisians even occupy the same quantum state?

I'm amused those are your first objections, rather than, for instance, my characterization of the horsepower (based on the mechanical output of a horse) as a good approximation for the bolometric luminosity of a horse, which would tend to have more to do with thermal output.

If you're willing to swallow that assumption, then sphericity and albedo are irrelevant, but vacuum or not does matter (radiated power must increase until it matches generated thermal power unless contact with the surroundings carries heat off non-convectively).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you're willing to swallow that assumption, then sphericity and albedo are irrelevant, but vacuum or not does matter (radiated power must increase until it matches generated thermal power unless contact with the surroundings carries heat off non-convectively).

So... what radius must the horse have to reach equilibrium? :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Wouldn't the horse reach equilibrium in a few minutes unless it had a horse-shaped space-suit?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wouldn't the horse reach equilibrium in a few minutes unless it had a horse-shaped space-suit?

Well, it would reach *some* equilibrium, but it might be too hot or too cold. Probably should have specified that I meant a healthy equilibrium...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, it would reach *some* equilibrium, but it might be too hot or too cold. Probably should have specified that I meant a healthy equilibrium...

It it really equivalent to the concept of a thermodynamic equilibrium when discussing equine equilibriums?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
If its a dead horse is it worth flogging?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No, its just a waste of time...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, they tenderise beef that way. We really need a horsemeat expert.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Flogging a dead horse is not animal abuse.

At first glance I read that as "flogging a dead horse is nominal use" and I thought yap, that sounds about right when looking at the internet :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Police were inundated with Lord of the Rings jokes after posting an appeal looking for the owner of a "precious" piece of jewellery.
North Yorkshire Police seemed unaware of the JRR Tolkien connection when they shared photos of the "distinctive silver ring" on Facebook.
Thousands of people soon responded with gifs and memes referencing the famous fantasy novel and film series.
The force replied: "We obviously need to brush up on our movie knowledge."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-51311739

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Barkeeper: "We don't serve superluminal particles."
A tachyon enters the bar.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Cilantro/Coriander is supposed to strike people with certain genetic characteristics as having a "soapy" taste. I can taste the taste that is referred to, but the problem is, it's not the taste of soap: it's the taste associated with a floral scent that is often used in soap. The resemblance is enough to make cilantro disturbing to eat for me, but I've never associated the smell with soap itself, as opposed to the marketing of soap.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What kind of soap do you guys have over there? I don't like Coriander too much, but I never thought of anything soap related when tasting it. Just of Coriander...