Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rod Serling, haven't heard that name for ages.
I remember the Twilght Zone, import to here, was allowed to watch it. Parents thought it too scary, so did I.

Don't remember this one, but might have watched it.

Shatner v The Gremlin -- Two Minute Twilight Zone Project -- Nightmare at 20,000 feet - YouTube

The Twilight Zone still runs in reruns in the US. Sci Fi channel still does a marathon every year I think. Serling's other TV show, Night Gallery was the horror version to Twilight Zone's sci fi.

You should look up "The Obsolete Man", I think it's my favorite TZ episode.

Sadly, Serling died fairly young in the 70s and never got the chance to make a really good feature film. His writing was superb.

BTW, after searching on Urwumpe's post I found the full text of that story I mentioned:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070213...n/classics/classics_archive/disch/disch1.html

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apparently my boss got asked by a customer if a solar panel requires sunlight. Seriously! :dry:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Well they do not need sunlight, but it makes things a lot more efficient.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Apparently my boss got asked by a customer if a solar panel requires sunlight. Seriously! :dry:

"No, any ISO compliant light is suitable...you did order multilight panels instead of the EU norm daylight panels, right?"

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"No, any ISO compliant light is suitable...you did order multilight panels instead of the EU norm daylight panels, right?"

It would very much defy the purpose of not having to have another form of power supply around :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It would very much defy the purpose of not having to have another form of power supply around :lol:

You lack the right spirit. A good snake-oil seller would start selling Moon light solar panels for three times the price. :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Our solar panels incorporate our patented time-translation asymmetry technology, which, as a consequence of Noether's theorem, allows them to violate conservation of energy.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Tell them to use the panel to power a light fixture, which in turn will illuminate the panel. Simple.

iu

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Apparently my boss got asked by a customer if a solar panel requires sunlight.
Well, it does not necessarily require it...

When the gloomy Moscow spring refuses to cooperate with your brand spanking new solar powered project, you can always use the Sun Replacer:
sun_replacement.jpg

Comes precalibrated to produce mid-latitude daylight at a distance of 89cm.
art_sun_charge_far.jpg

It really gives you the sense of scale of just how bright the sun is - this thing can only produce sunlight over maybe a square meter of a surface, so you would need dozens of them to light up a room the way the sun would have if there was no roof.

And yet, just one of them already look absurdly bright.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Bring the Sun into your life.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today a speedtrap in Zurich photographed a low-flying duck, because it was doing 50 km/h in a 30 zone :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So... that would be something like Maven, except for C++, do I get that right? That could be handy indeed...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So my truck's brakes decided that rolling down the freeway at 70 mph was a good time to suddenly lose brake pressure. There's nothing like the thrill of putting your foot on the pedal and it sinks to the floor while you're in more than a ton of rolling steel and suddenly feel like you're just along for the ride! Fortunately, even with an automatic transmission downshifting is still a thing and I was able to nurse it off the road to a stop so I could get it towed to a shop without any damage. Brakes are like air: they're no big deal until you don't have them.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting, usual Hydraulic with servo assist?

N.