Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Having flown on one back in Australia, i can say it's quite an experience.

Est7x7b.jpg

There is this huge thing just hanging in the air.
9k3JMT6.jpg

Then you are up into the air, floating in silence through calm sky.
No wind, no constant motor sounds, clear view straight down.
ZzkFPKC.jpg

I'm 2 meters tall, so the basket's sides were uncomfortably low...
xtYAaSI.jpg

From up there, other balloons look like some overlay of a video game - oddly colorful geometric shapes sticking out of the plain landscape.
TNRGgCl.jpg

rkYCmjI.jpg

Interesting optical effects can be seen around your shadow.
D4FT4Zu.jpg

Oh, and landings are fun too.
nG9PsX4.jpg

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Every once in a while, I'll meet someone from out in the country that thinks fluoridated water tastes gross. I, on the other hand, an of the opinion that unfluoridated water tastes strange.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Every once in a while, I'll meet someone from out in the country that thinks fluoridated water tastes gross.

That would basically be everybody I think. In Bosnia you could tell the wheather from the tapwater during summer. Since more of the stuff evaporates because the pipes are heating up, they put more in during the hot months. And on days where it was signifficantly colder, you could taste it very distinctly in the water. And I had to drive into the hills to see after a goat farm at least twice a week, where the tap was hooked directly to a natural spring, so the contrast was all the worse.
Yeah, fluoridated water tastes gross.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Having drank water straight from mountain springs, I'll take that.

Although now I filter it for giardia just to be safe.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We have some public wells here, where people can collect their water fresh from the aquifier. They are really popular, despite the water from the tap being only slightly processed here.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Replaced my car's lower control arms and bushings and ball joints, on the ground with a breaker bar in nearly 90F temperatures.

Days like this makes beer taste good and air conditioning feel wonderful.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I went for a run in the 90F sunshine after work today. It's a little nuts but I'm used to it and I have lots of water. Later after cleaning up I drove out a scenic road to get some food. Normally the summer weather in DC is miserable heat and humidity, but today it was not very humid at all, and just around dusk the temperature dropped to about 80F with a cool breeze.

So my drive was nice, windows down, hand out in the wind, pink sky turning to dark purple to deep blue.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I do not miss the humdity in Maryland. I thought it was bad down here around Chattanooga, but Maryland was something else.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Another night here with almost zero sleep, first some neighbor decides that 2 am is the right time for home improvement, then too little rain on too hot ground results in one hell of moist air... and then it was time for the children to go to the nearby school, so night was formally over.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Ha ha...my nice new bushings and control arms are in and work great, but have exposed that my struts and mounts are completely garbage (car clunks when going over small cracks in the road). Struts are arriving today.

At this rate I should have a brand new car by next Thursday! :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Speaking of car repairs...

for some reasone the aft lights of my car have started cracking, as can be seen.

The left one not so much:
7KbqKce.jpg

The right one, on the other hand:
Ek34zCm.jpg

Working hypothesis is that sun exposure has something to do with it due to how it is usually parked. The right one also got a lot worse in the last few weeks and so I'm looking for a replacement part, especially since condensation has now been entering the right light cluster as in the picture.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of car repairs...

Working hypothesis is that sun exposure has something to do with it due to how it is usually parked. The right one also got a lot worse in the last few weeks and so I'm looking for a replacement part, especially since condensation has now been entering the right light cluster as in the picture.

Yes, plastics will craze when exposed to UV. If they are otherwise intact, mask off the paint around them and sand them with 300-400 grit wet/dry sandpaper with water, rinse and dry thoroughly, mask again and spray them with clear coat, then polish them a few weeks later. Much less expensive than replacing the headlamps and they will look like new. I just did this to both of our cars and they look great, only took 30-40 minutes to do each car.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Doesn't look like it's UV fogging... it looks to be more of fracturing due to breakdown.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The right one also got a lot worse in the last few weeks and so I'm looking for a replacement part, especially since condensation has now been entering the right light cluster as in the picture.

You need to change your blinker fluid.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yes, plastics will craze when exposed to UV. If they are otherwise intact, mask off the paint around them and sand them with 300-400 grit wet/dry sandpaper with water, rinse and dry thoroughly, mask again and spray them with clear coat, then polish them a few weeks later. Much less expensive than replacing the headlamps and they will look like new. I just did this to both of our cars and they look great, only took 30-40 minutes to do each car.

The fogging is condensation, I'm afraid.

Doesn't look like it's UV fogging... it looks to be more of fracturing due to breakdown.

Indeed. Replacing the cluster appears to be the best/safest choice. Used units are available for <50€, so that's something.

You need to change your blinker fluid.

How to Replace Blinker Fluid - YouTube

How could I have forgotten! :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My work today: Sitting around with a headset listening to multiple subcontractors and managers discussing why one special subsystem is having problem interacting successfully with the productive distributed system running my teams software, while all other subsystems have no issues.

The hardest task: Not laughing out loud.

Looks like somebody decided to be smarter than our manual and recommendations. If we write a lengthy chapter about a proper transition from one major version to the other, it has a reason.

Last edited: