Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
A tool that tells me how much time I waste would be a cruel master...

We're not robots. I think it's important to let the mind wander freely once in a while. It learns a lot of inane things and makes interesting and sometimes useful connections. The brain will want to buckle down and focus on work when it is done doing this.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm Spartacus!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now there is a small #esagate here. :rofl: Director Wörner of ESA has used a cartoon by internationally famous artist Ralph Ruthe without attribution in a presentation and badly edited (Translation into English), which is now making him target of some Schadenfreude. :lol:

The original cartoon can be found here: http://ruthe.de/cartoon/1258/datum/asc/

(Text: "Why? Because it was possible.")

There is not yet an official english version of the cartoon, but I am sure it will happen. :D ESA employees noticed the faux-pas themselves and got into contact with Ruthe, so don't worry, ESA will not get closed because of it.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
This forum goes through periods of slowness. As a member since the m6 days of 10 years ago, I think I can say the forum is in general not as busy as it was around 2007 or so. I was a moderator back then, though, and I made an effort to read every post in every thread, so maybe that skews my perception, but it definitely seemed to be more traffic.

There are a bunch of old forum members we never see anymore, guys who used to love to talk and debate stuff for page after page.

Greg Burch, Simonpro, etc. And then there were guys like flytandem, who was always posting crazy slingshot scenarios. computerex was a kid who would produce an addon within hours of someone mentioning it, I think he was banned or something but for a while he was very active. There was a guy from Latin America, Pablo Luna was his name maybe? Aenemazoso was another one...

It was a busier forum. Imagine a bunch of Urwumpes (and yes, he was there then, too, of course) all posting and arguing with each other constantly.

At least we still have Artlav and his mad scientist experiments. Guys like that make this a fun place to hang out still.

:lol: Don't laugh, I didn't realize it before last year, that I had been in the SSU team (now) for eight years (January 26, 2008 is the official birthday of the project)

Sort of similar here: eight years ago I discovered orbiter, and barring any unforseen problems I should graduate in my master's in space engineering this year.

I was around for the sunset years of M6; I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I discovered Orbiter the day 060504 was released, and it changed my life forever. I was procrastinating, while writing a paper on WWII for an english class, and looking for FS2002 freeware addons. Avsim used to be the place for MSFS addons and a lot of Orbiter addons were hosted there too(they might still be, I haven't been there in a long time).

So after reading about Orbiter in a few Avsim threads and checking out the Orbiter website I headed over to moonport.org and downloaded the hot-off-the-press-Orbiter 2006. It was a few months before there were any good addons for 2006 and I remember having a hell of a time getting addons for orbiter 03 and 05 to work with. There was a weird sequence of saving closing and reloading to prevent crashes relating to particular animations. The one I remember most fondly was the DGIII airlock. Great stuff from that era.

I don't think I joined M6 until December 2006. I had questions, which couldn't be answered by googling, about an autopilot addon called Redshift (which was for Orbiter 2005 but almost worked in 2006). My question was answered, though I've forgotten what it was. Watching Redshift is how I learned to rendezvous and dock.

Then some time throughout 2007 there were some serious M6 outages and Tex(who I think was a newish member of the community at the time) started orbiter-forum. And I remember not wanting to jump ship, but I inevitably did following a long blackout and eventual death of the M6.

There was a while that Greg was releasing new addons, like, once a week, or something crazy like that. Then he just sort of stopped posting and after a while his website went down. I did shoot him an email a few months ago, but I never heard back; I hope he's alright.

I always wondered what happened to computerex. The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and he did burn brightly...

It's great to see how much enthusiasm there is for the SSU project; I still remember downloading Shuttle Deluxe back in the day. I think NASSP is finally gathering some momentum again but for the longest time there was naught but tumbleweeds and ancient history over at Rob's forum.

I definitely had a point to make here, but alcohol and lack of sleep have made me forget...

I ended up failing that english class, btw. Thanks Martin... On the other hand, Orbiter is definitely why I got a degree in aeronautical engineering. http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9771

And now I work as an engineer for a company that makes rope. Isn't it crazy where life takes you.

I've decided to take a step back from my car hobby for a few years while I pay off some debts. I'm a single guy in my late 20s with waaay too much time on his hands, and there's a new orbiter version inbound soon. So we'll see what that brings for me. I've been reading through the API reference again...

Damn, I really didn't intend this to be a novel when I started...

Anyway :cheers: to another decade of the best spaceflight simulator ever made.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
hqdefault.jpg

main-nasa-horse-shoe-UFO.jpg

They are not aliens, they are worse:
latest

It's BuyNLarge that just entered in operations!
WALL-E-Buy-N-Large.jpg

02.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I googled (googlestalked?) Greg Burch a while back out of curiosity. Remembering that he lived in Texas and was an attorney I think I found some recent references to him, so I think he's still around in RL but moved away from Orbiter World for now. I have to say I really enjoyed reading his posts; he was the closest we've had to a learned philosopher/sci fi writer around here. And his addons are still really cool.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always wondered what happened to computerex. The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and he did burn brightly...

From what I remember, he clashed a few times with people about his faith (he was muslim, and the more serious type, from what I could gather from his posts), after which he vanished. He was also a kid, something many people didn't quite realise because he was just too damn smart for his age, but things still can change quickly at that age, especially if there's friction.

Pablo (ar81 was the screenname I think?) was another very enthusiastic member that left after some falling outs, though I don't remember about what. Kind of a pitty, Orbiter 2016 is pretty much the thing he always dreamed orbiter would become. He used to make those fake screenshots captioned with "Orbiter 2020" or somesuch, and they didn't look that far off from the current Beta in D3D9 client...

I pretty much came aboard in the dying gasps of M6, so I don't really remember anything from that era. Orbiter-Forum replaced it really quickly, no small thanks to the Doctor adopting it as official board very soon after M6 went down.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It's been several years, but I'd contacted Pablo (yep ar81) regarding a problem I was having with anim8tor at the time, as I'd been woring through his tutorials. He got back with me in a resonably short time (a few days). When I asked him if he were still orbiting he said something to the effect of him having other things going on.

It happens.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Whatever happened to Art Eaton and the Star Frontiers project, i wonder.
Took many of an inspiration from that one for Spaceway.

Imagine a bunch of Urwumpes (and yes, he was there then, too, of course)
Just checked my M6 archives. Yep, since 2003 :)
HCaHOzH.png

Hm, i distinctly remember doing a big archive of M6 forums just after it crashed for the last time, but i can't quite find it somehow.
It should have been posted here, but post history does not reach that far back.
Would anyone be interested to take a look at it if i find it?

Pablo (ar81 was the screenname I think?) was another very enthusiastic member that left after some falling outs, though I don't remember about what. Kind of a pitty, Orbiter 2016 is pretty much the thing he always dreamed orbiter would become. He used to make those fake screenshots captioned with "Orbiter 2020" or somesuch, and they didn't look that far off from the current Beta in D3D9 client...
Last i heard from Pablo Luna was in 2014, no idea really what he does now.
Looking through my e-mail archives, he left in 2007 due to some conflict on the forum.

To quote, "Supporting or leaving open doors to crime goes against my principles. There is no turning back. I made my decision. I am not going further with Orbiter addons whatever happens from now on.".

2007, the year OVP came about. Fittingly, his parting words were:
"I made the attached pictures before knowing about the ban, to inspire people from OVP. But it only shows now how uninspired and how bitter the taste I have towards Orbiter right now."
L5wJ1J9.jpg

UZCwyaw.jpg

jOadN7r.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just checked my M6 archives. Yep, since 2003 :)
HCaHOzH.png

Not sure if the month is really correct, I am pretty sure I started using orbiter in autumn 2002 and registered for asking questions much earlier than April.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Looks like there were several forums.
I don't know what was before M6.
Then M6.
Then orbitersim.com update of M6 - same DB, but register dates reset to 2006.
Then it hard-crashed, and we got this place.

Still haven't found the big archive, but i found one with my early threads...

Meshalnd, my first published add-on, happening on a whim from an unrelated discussion: http://orbides.org/m6_bck/ml-00.htm
And taking wings: http://orbides.org/m6_bck/ml-10.htm
Then, Orulex: http://orbides.org/m6_bck/oru-00.htm
And Nebo: http://orbides.org/m6_bck/nebo-00.htm
Guess where Pablo took his inspiration. :)

Also, damn. That was 11 years ago.
I was fresh out of school, starting the second year in the university, scribbling solar systems on the margins during boring lectures.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't know what was before M6.

Same here - something was before M6, AFAIR.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Local humor: There is a new exhibition at the local art museum called "Wolfsburg unlimited", one exhibit there is a plan to dig a canal from midland canal to the Hollerplatz (platz = square, plaza) in front of the museum and turn it into the "Hollerhafen" (hafen = port)

The justification for the pretty radical plan was in an interview in regional TV yesterday:

Wir haben ein Bauschild vor dem Museum; die Leute stehen dort schon, schütteln den Kopf, freuen sich. Auf dem Schild steht: "Baubeginn September 2016 - Eine Wasserstraße für Wolfsburg". Wir planen einen Kanal vom Mittellandkanal zu unserem Hollerplatz, der zum Hollerhafen wird. Wir werden die Stadt ein wenig fluten, um ein anderes Bild zu erzeugen. Das ist durchaus eine positive Reaktion auf vielerlei Kritik und Reaktion auf die Stadt, wo man sagt, diese Fußgängerzone wäre etwas ganz Besonderes für Deutschland. Ich sage: Deutschland charakterisiert sich gerade dadurch, dass es sehr viele nicht so schöne, um nicht zu sagen hässliche Fußgängerzonen aufweist.

We have a construction billboard in front of the museum, the people stop there, shake their heads and rejoice. On the billboard stands "construction begin September 2016 - a waterway for Wolfsburg". We plan a canal from the midland canal to the Hollerplatz, which becomes the Hollerhafen. We will flood the city a bit to create a completely new image. That is a really positive reaction to the numerous criticism and reactions to the city, of which is said, that its pedestrian zone is really special for Germany. I say: Germany is characterized by the fact, that it has many not-so-beautiful, if not to say ugly, pedestrian zones.

http://www.kunstmuseum-wolfsburg.de...mited-eine-stadt-als-weltlabor/#&gid=1&pid=15