OHM R-9 v1.1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: igel

R-9 is a truly legendary Russian ICBM. Due to a complete secrecy blackout, its name and history was totally unknown to the general public till very end of the Soviet Union. Yet, for most of these years, the missile itself had been displayed - unnamed and unlabeled - in plain sight, on Moscow street, in front of the USSR Armed Forces Museum. No doubt she had been selected for this display due to its remarkable deadly elegance, standing out among the other, more utilitarian missiles.

This addon pays tribute to this almost forgotten gem of the rocketry history, and to the people who created it in the early years of the Rocket Age.

--------

Version 1.1 is a bugfix update.

DOWNLOAD

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So far, from the first test, it works fine after installing the mandatory add-ons.

But closing the simulation session needs a long while here, possibly a configuration issue with Orbiter, maybe you expected the restart Orbiter behavior.

Another detail problem had been a wild tumbling of the warhead during reentry, which ceased by switching to x0.1.

Are there any plans to extend the transport configuration towards allowing to deploy the missile?

And is it really correct that the warhead was deployed in that attitude? I would have expected a pitchdown to entry attitude before releasing the warhead, since otherwise the warhead would be extremely inaccurate because of the reentry.

Last edited:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Yes, I myself was not able to get a good exit other than "respawning orbiter process", just like in my previous addons. Probably due to more complexities in the code...

Did not see too much head tumbling in my tests... But early rockets were not picky about deployment attitude anyway - as warheads are self-orienting on reentry, and tumbling was not a bottleneck of accuracy. Engine shutdown impulse was bigger enemy...

And yes, I really hope to expend the transporting/deployment capability in future, at least on Pad 51 - where R-9 was using the same railway transporter as R-7!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One question by the apprentice in my development team: How long did you actually work on your current releases with the VesselM and the "Spaceports 1.0"?

pappy2

Reaction score
Very nice achievement, thank you for your excellent work :thumbup:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Urwumpe - I'd say 2 years. I started right after Vostok, so elapsed time is actually 4 years. But we both were quite busy with other nno-orbiter 'lives', so the task time was at least half of calendar time. I was hoping to release addons about once a year, but it turned out they could not be developed independently and in turns. So it had to be a synchonized release.

Hopefully the next updates won't take so much wait (and, hint - we are not quite done with release yet :) ). I'll speak more about development when, slightly later, I'll release the sources (separately, as they are only of interest to developers). But if you want a preview of how some of this stuff works internally - look in the Config folders and files of the new addons.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I have not gotten D3D9 client to work on my system. So, not having the client may be the source of the problems.

However, noticed this floating skirt on the New York triple strike mission. Oddly enough, it re-attaches when the booster flies past it:

Actually, the add-on is partially working even without the client. I get pretty good FPS most of the time. Sometimes it hangs for a few seconds, like it is making some huge calculation, but then keeps going.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work at all is any kind of impact effect (nuclear warhead, test warhead, even Luna-2).

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Interesting, will have a look. Yes, it may be specific to native client. Launching from silo in Orbiter is super-tricky (not sure if it was even ever done before!) Some very "intense" tricks are used for that... and, of course, 100% of development and 95% of testing was done on D3D9. I made sure all shipped scenarios can be launched on native client without crashes, and work OK, but could still miss some visual artifacts like that. I guess the visual anomaly is specific to the time when rocket transitions from silo animation to free flight...

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
I've posted a bugfix update of this addon, at version 1.1.

In the original addon, a couple of files were missed that provided active spotlights on Pad 51. Nothing critical, but night launches look better with the lights on :).

I also tried to corner the bug of skirt element hanging over the silo in the Orbiter's native client, but did not succeed. It seems to be a problem with order of events in the native client itself, not keeping up with a complex chain of internal vessel CG updates (that make launch from silo possible). I see a way to work around the problem, but it is not trivial and may screw up scenario saving-loading so much, that the cure may happen to be worse the disease... So I've left it "as is" for now, such fix is a v2.0 stuff, not the v1.1 incrementation... And I recommend using D2D9 client anyway :)

Just re-download the v1.1 and install it over the previously deployed version, or deploy afresh if there was no previous version.

Loopos

Procrastination Master
Reaction score
does it work with Orbiter 2k16?

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Nope...

And with very little time I currently have to look at any Orbiter stuff, by the time it may be converted, there will likely be some kind of Orbiter 2020.