Project Moonwalk video game

Puma

Reaction score
Project Moonwalk is an exciting video game that allows you to train as an astronaut and walk in the footsteps of the 1969 Apollo 11 Mission!
Featuring these exciting levels:

• Soviet Sputnik Launch
  • Kennedy's Speech at Rice
  • Rocket Fueling and Test Launches
  • Practice Lunar Module Vehicle
  • Saturn V Launch!
  • Lunar Landing
  • Flag Planting
  • Laser Reflection Experiment
  • Solar Wind
  • Seismic Experiment
  • Rock Collection
  • Realistic, Accurate Landscapes
  • Return to Earth!
  • Zoom Camera Picture Taking for Facebook!
  • watch the video here:

Revolpathon

Reaction score
looks interesting, but having played around with orbiter, this would seem more of a dissapointment since the entire flight thingy is more than likely not in the game, and if it is not as realistic as it is, and the graphics in some parts are nice looking, better than in orbiter the space graphics don't look all that nice,

i'd play it though just for kicks because it's something different and interesting.
too bad it aint free.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't think the graphics are better then in Orbiter, especially if you have AMSO as reference. Especially the space graphics are surreal. And the reentry looks like you have a burning piece of coal there, it has absolutely nothing in common with a real reentry.

The training stuff is a nice idea, but looks too generic. Also I can't see any gameplay yet there...why do centrifuge training as player and what can you do to change something with it?

I think there is a lot of room for improvements. The newspaper sequence lacks nearly everything that gives you the feeling of the 1960s. It could have been in a typical FPS of the 2000s, it has no atmosphere that causes immersion. Having more background would be wiser there, also the colors could be made with a Technicolor effect, right like we youngsters remember the 1960s, being born in more colorful times.

Astronauts also don't fuel rockets, they get the keys for a fueled, washed and perfectly intact rocket from the ground crew.

As Orbiteer, I think AMSO is the reference for it that it has to beat. If it doesn't do better than AMSO, it is not worth time or money.

Revolpathon

Reaction score
I don't think the graphics are better then in Orbiter, especially if you have AMSO as reference. Especially the space graphics are surreal. And the reentry looks like you have a burning piece of coal there, it has absolutely nothing in common with a real reentry.

The training stuff is a nice idea, but looks too generic. Also I can't see any gameplay yet there...why do centrifuge training as player and what can you do to change something with it?

I think there is a lot of room for improvements. The newspaper sequence lacks nearly everything that gives you the feeling of the 1960s. It could have been in a typical FPS of the 2000s, it has no atmosphere that causes immersion. Having more background would be wiser there, also the colors could be made with a Technicolor effect, right like we youngsters remember the 1960s, being born in more colorful times.

Astronauts also don't fuel rockets, they get the keys for a fueled, washed and perfectly intact rocket from the ground crew.

As Orbiteer, I think AMSO is the reference for it that it has to beat. If it doesn't do better than AMSO, it is not worth time or money.

holding it to AMSO standard (which is high) also means holding it to orbiter standards (learning curve that scare's people off) it's obviously meant as a commercial product of a B type quality, having a steep learning curve in a game is suicide for a commercial product.

i agree on the graphics part it could easily do a heck of allot better on that front. (what i meant in my 1st post was a reference to the exit of the LEM, and the surrounding details of the moon itself.)

immersion wise, i can't think of a way to make a game like this immersive yet still open to the general public (outside of the orbiter community i mean).

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The PEGI notice is funny: "contains mild rocket violence". Sounds like our regular hobby...
That's what I was thinking. Haven't heard that one before! :lol:

Does the Soyuz FG-U addon need a rating now? I've seen some pretty startling pad explosions, engine fires, and other wholesale doom from it (boosters landing on nearby buildings, etc.)...

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Looks more like some arcade game with space thematic, like you could find in some amusement arcades.
And why is there a black trail while reentry? :blink:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
holding it to AMSO standard (which is high) also means holding it to orbiter standards (learning curve that scare's people off) it's obviously meant as a commercial product of a B type quality, having a steep learning curve in a game is suicide for a commercial product.

AMSO was the easier of the two. ;) You can learn flying it without orbiter knowledge in less than 30 minutes, provided you are not allergic against manuals.

A steep learning curve in a game is never suicide for commercial products, contrary, a steep learning curve can be motivating when combined with rewards for every tiny step. Contrary, a too shallow game play is deadly. This pits you in the bloody waters with many other shallow games and gamers, who actually don't want to buy your game, but just download it illegally, play it once and then forget it again for the next hype.

The really successful long-term addicting games have a complex game mechanic, that rewards long-term players, but does not exclude beginners...which Orbiter also does not do. It just expects you to read the manual, which is too much for many "casual gamers". But for casual games, you are better served with a Wii, than by PC games.

immersion wise, i can't think of a way to make a game like this immersive yet still open to the general public (outside of the orbiter community i mean).

There are many hundred ways. It is not like you are unable to drive a 1960s car, if you are used to modern super cars from other games. And how can you understand the competition of the cold war, without feeling it every second in the game?

You can make compromises in the user interface. You can say that some things are omitted for happening automatically, so the player has less workload. But you should NEVER compromise with the immersion. Immersion is an investment. You can't make a WW2 submarine game, and play it with a modern MIL-STD-2626 interface. It would feel wrong. And for a cold war space game in the 1960s, you need first to give the player the feeling of being there.

In terms of historic gaming, you should remember History Line 1914-1918... while it had nothing in common in the game mechanics with the first world war, the background and the historic scenario briefings are and give you quickly the feeling of understanding the bigger picture around you. And it ensured an A+ in your history class if you managed to survive the first 4 scenarios.

Also, is being astronaut only about centrifuge training? Sure not. And fueling the rocket is only taking development time away from the real astronaut duties... for example traveling through the whole country and appear on PR events between a tightly packed training schedule. An astronaut will never be seen handling the nuts and bolts of a rocket, that is the job of other people, but astronauts will take part in the development of spacecraft, familiarizing with the hardware and improving it from the point of view of an astronaut. You will do survival training or sit in class rooms learning about the subsystems.

As you can see, the feeling of being an astronaut is much more than just "going into space and pushing a few buttons on the way". It is being a front pig of aerospace engineering and technology-propaganda politics. And the Apollo astronauts had been such front pigs in the worst thinkable time for being in the limelight. Conservatives will think you are wasting money that could be used for more earthly things, or think it is far too dangerous. At PR events at universities, you have to expect left-wing students to protest against you, because you represent the same government that is bombing Vietnam. And your job is already hard enough without preventing to become crazy by such external pressures that act on you.

And the psychological pressures of being an astronaut had always been extreme, much more in the past than today, after we started having an army of headshrinkers in mission control for every astronaut, to make sure they don't suddenly snap out and go on strike until they are returned to Earth (which really happened).

And then, after your successful flight to the moon, you are suddenly too important to be send on a risky space mission again, and only few people will notice the broken man behind the hero.

And now tell me... do you really see anything in the real situation of 1960s astronauts, that is making immersion impossible or would scare people away? If you mean that it scares people away who mistake Buzz Aldrin with Buzz Lightyear, I think it is a good thing, because it also prevents disappointment. Because for all others, this means diving deep into a time, in which Mark 1 sensors had been better than all thinkable technology, pressing buttons was secondary and you had really been a part of a small elite, and not an overpaid engineer or scientist in the eyes of many less skilled people.

If the game then also has rockets appear as the breathing, hissing, singing, icy dragons that they really are on the launch pad, you would have an immersion that makes you shiver in awe. Because that is being an astronaut: Sitting on top of a thousand ton bomb, built by the lowest bidder. And feel well there.

Last edited:

Revolpathon

Reaction score
urwumpe:

you make excellent points,

i personally never got into AMSO or it's counterpart, though i have it on my system and toyed with it, (i like to figure things out without the manual) and not being able to fly a flight from the earth to the moon and back without using the glass cockpit for MFD's and so on made it lose it's fun factor to me. (i realise it would be impossible to fly it in the cockpit alone without mission control guiding the process and working allot of calculations for you) .... getting off topic here.

the game could have potential if they took more time and spent more money on a better engine and development kit (or build a good one themselves). as it looks now, it's a download, play, delete game not worth money, but interesting enough for curiosity's sake.

i'm unfamilliar with history line, i used 4 comic books to ace my history tests :p

silent hunter is a awesome sim, and i've wasted many sleepless nights on it trying and eventually (after being sunk more times than i care to remember) succeeded to sink over a 100k tons on realistic settings.

on the interview thing though, and i'm going to draw a comparison to the mass effect universe here, it would have to be multiple choice and will interest players the first time if the conversations and interviews are well written, but it won't provide replay value which is needed in a game if people want to buy it for money, i can see loads of way's in which replay value can be added (multiple story line's in where you succed partway succed or not succeed at all in getting to the moon or even to the launching event)

i see allot more way's now to make this game a good game, though i doubt a game such as i have in mind right now would ever be made. (thinks about learning basic astrophysics and other stuff for use in the game and endless tests to pass to be able to advance in the story to prepare yourself for the actual mission, while managing public relations and a non existent private life)

i agree on the point that it has to be a role specific game, fueling a rocket is not the job of the astronaut, and handling bolts should only be done after launch :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
the game could have potential if they took more time and spent more money on a better engine and development kit (or build a good one themselves). as it looks now, it's a download, play, delete game not worth money, but interesting enough for curiosity's sake.

Not really... even modding Halflife would be enough if you just make better meshes for it, play with suitable sound effects and pay attention to tiny details in the world.

The engine selection is one thing, but your own artistic skills should be important as well. Making your own engine isn't that hard with kits like Irrlicht, but you don't need to at this point.

Revolpathon

Reaction score
Not really... even modding Halflife would be enough if you just make better meshes for it, play with suitable sound effects and pay attention to tiny details in the world.

The engine selection is one thing, but your own artistic skills should be important as well. Making your own engine isn't that hard with kits like Irrlicht, but you don't need to at this point.

true enough on the modding of half life part. the potential of the half life engine is incredible to say the least (though it's unsuitable for a game like this, it would need a good deal of rewriting if space flight is going to be covered extensively in the game)

on the engine thing though, irrlicht as i've just looked up using google and wiki is an engine on it's own that you can use to build a game on. that's not what i meant by building their own engine, if they used a kit like irrlicht they would use an already existing engine instead of writing their own engine.

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
I kind of like the mass effect idea. Make it like an rpg. You could have a conversation wheel for things like interviews, discussions with scientists,etc.
Also, training could serve the purpose of, depending on your proficiency, improving your character's abilty to handle in flight emergencies, for example.
If you don't do well enough in training,and something happens that you don't know how to handle, you're screwed. Likewise, if a scientist asks your opinion on a certain design aspect of the ship, and you make the wrong decision, it could result in full or partial mission failure.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My complaints;

- Atmosphere of the Earth is completely incorrect. It's like a silly... halo... thingy. :uhh:

- Clouds and ocean are corny-looking and the ocean is the wrong colour... not like in reality. Or Orbiter. ;)

- We have Star Trek obvious nebulae and galaxies, and the sun effect is just... odd.

- The game environment at the Saturn V launch seems to disappear into blue fog at 300 meters

- The Apollo 11 crew just look hilarious. Granted, they're better than AMSO's frozen meshes, but the way they're shaking... it's like they're either feebly headbanging or being electrocuted. I can't really figure out which, maybe it's both.

- Total trajectory fail on the part of the Saturn V. Apparently they decided to fly to a polar orbit. :rolleyes:

- I may be wrong but I don't think the descent stage engine burnt in neat little puffs like that. It also didn't fly through luminous antigravity rings, but that is mildly understandable here.

- There's a spinny blue thing sitting by the LEM. Also seen in the centrifuge control room... I guess this is also semi-understandable. It obviously does something important.

- Reentry plasma is completely wrong- I second Urwumpe here.

- The splashdown effect is just absurd. Apparently Apollo command modules can affect water 4 meters away from them at the exact moment of splashdown. :rolleyes:

However, I did think some things were interesting and/or worthwhile;

- The newspaper sequence does give a 1960s feel. Also Kennedy's iconic speech recreated as an animatic. It's presence on a small television screen prevents it from being horrible... mostly.

- The astronauts move and walk on the Moon. They don't do that in Orbiter, but that's understandable, because Orbiter is a space sim, not a walking sim. Or an electrocution sim.

-"May contain mild rocket violence and exciting historical scenes" is absolutely hilarious. I think that "May contain mild rocket violence" should become Orbiter's unofficial motto. :lol:

I wouldn't spend money on this, especially when the graphics are not only not better than AMSO, but not better than the stock graphics of 060929. I also doubt it contains a third the science, physics or immersion of Orbiter.

Last edited:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Is it really mild rocket-violence though? If a Saturn-V explodes? Mild? Doesn't that constitute a miss-leading parental-guidance sticker? I sense a law-suit coming.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I think that "May contain mild rocket violence" should become Orbiter's unofficial motto.

I'll second that!

...and :hailprobe:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it really mild rocket-violence though? If a Saturn-V explodes? Mild? Doesn't that constitute a miss-leading parental-guidance sticker? I sense a law-suit coming.
Yeah, the Saturn V launching was violent enough. I don't want to know what a pad explosion would have looked like. (Well, similar to an N-1 explosion for similar size/fuel content I guess, and we've seen plenty of those. :lol:)

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
I actually think its pretty cool. Okay so its not as realistic as Orbiter, but it will get kids and people who are less technically inclined interested in space. Then after they get tired of its arcade like atmosphere, they might try Orbiter. Its a good thing. Personally I'm going to try it.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
While the realism certainly seems lacking this is definitely on my "To Buy (Eventually)" list.

The testing your own rockets sounds interesting. (and no doubt easier than making an add-on for Orbiter)

Darren

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
@Izack; I was making fun of the ratings-mania :) I know it's done with the best of intentions to help parents, which ofcourse is noble enough in todays product-jungle, but I can't help but find it a bit silly at times. I mean, how elaborate some of these ratings/warnings have become. 'Mild rocket-violence'... to me that sounds sort of like when the manual for your microwave says not to put your pet inside it while on :facepalm: