News Population hitting 7 billion

FADEC

Reaction score
Also, how many children you have, should be your own matter.

/this

Currently we still don't have "too many" humans. We have an incorrect/improper distribution of resources. The claim that we have too many humans and too less resources is a lie, a distraction from the real problems, caused by greed, vanity and misanthropy of politicians and businessmen.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
/this

Currently we still don't have "too many" humans. We have an incorrect/improper distribution of resources. The claim that we have too many humans and too less resources is a lie, a distraction from the real problems, caused by greed, vanity and misanthropy of politicians and businessmen.

And a problem of making use of such resources. How many people could Europe have sustained without development of crop rotation?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_rotation"]Crop rotation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Especially the three-field system was as important back then, as the development of industrial fertilizer just 100 years ago.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The claim that we have too many humans and too less resources is a lie,

No necessarily, the issue is more complex. It depends on how well resources can be exploited.

The Earth couldn't sustain 7 billion people at a pre-industrial state, and let alone a pre-agricultural one.

The issue is whether our technological ability to utilise resources can keep up with our population growth. Here, it is important not to be under or over-confident...

EDIT:

Ninja'd. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes - but it isn't even like people starving in Africa is caused by a lack of food.

The foreign aid organizations buy most of their food locally, maybe just 100 km away from the places that have bad harvests.

Now, do you notice a tiny detail there, that demand and supply will induce? ;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now, do you notice a tiny detail there, that demand and supply will induce?

People ruining the harvests of people about 100 kilometers away so they can sell food to foreign aid organisations? :blink:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
People ruining the harvests of people about 100 kilometers away so they can sell food to foreign aid organisations? :blink:

LOL, that would be even more epic, but effectively it is the same.

Foreign aid organizations with nearly infinite money, the more TV shows people dying of starvation, buy food from local producers at insane prices, to give the food to the starving for free.

Of course, this means that the prices for food in the region will skyrocket, since the foreigners pay much better for it.

Finally more people can't afford the food and are starving.

And it is still cheaper to buy the food in Africa than transporting it quickly by ship from better harvesting places. It just makes the suffering of the people at the place larger and increases the power of the foreign aid organizations.

And makes a few food traders really rich, if they just adapt to the economy around foreign aid.

E

ex-orbinaut

First item on the agenda, regarding the documentary I watched...

From what I've read on the internet, this sounds like a pretty low-quality film, a "shocktumentary" based on sensationalism. It also sounds pretty racist and pretty patriarchalist.

I cannot recall that aspect of it, I was about 10 at the time. My memories of it have to do with sections that involved poaching activity. That alone was the reason for my mention of it. If it has racist undertones then I am not ashamed in offering my absolute and sincere apologies for it's mention, as I have no desire or inclination to promote that subject. That you may be feeling ruffled about the reference is completely justifiable. I am in no conceivable way racist. I have lived my 4/5 of my life out of the country where I was born and get along just fine. I have, however, seen other people from Europe and the USA, with high altruistic morals about racism and mutual understanding between cultures, etcetera, arrive for a spell of work here in Ecuador, eventually drop their heads into their hands in resignation and cry out something to the effect of; "Oh, these damned people!". That amuses me somewhat.

How can you call the state of love "unbalanced" or "obessive"? Would you next deride anger, or happiness?

...a chemically unbalanced, obsessive state of the brain MIS-NAMED as love. Please be more careful with your reading, as this does seem to have all the appearances of you attempting to scapegoat me. It seems there is some filtering in your absorption of information due to some predisposition of some sort. Sorry, but I am not going to partake in what you are doing.

Now I hate having to ask this - I really do - but am I to understand that you consider suicide a normal reaction from people? My mention of "vanity" is based on the incidence of, more often than not, "love" related suicides being accompanied by a note, which has the innuendo normally of punishing someone, directly or indirectly, for having been the cause of their suicide. As I have no inclination to it myself and therefore, well yes - as you say - in reality I really cannot ascertain, but it has all the appearances that they believe they will be standing there right behind the reader of the note watching them sob in anguish and feeling pretty vindicated. I interpret that as vanity. However, there are those who will commit suicide for other reasons, mainly through some form of long term clinical depression. They do not tend to leave notes, but do provide clues in their behavior symptomatic that something is not quite right. We generally are not that interested to notice, or shun them because of their change, when a keener eye might have been able to provide a means to intercept the spiral. I do believe these latter are completely deserving of our help, compassion and consideration. Not so much the former.

But better still, maybe read about it. I am sure you still have something to counter me on where this is concerned, though I see no reason to persist with this off topic subject anymore. It is clear that our views here are fixed and we are barking up a gum tree.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_note"]Suicide note - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

That aside, there always has to be time and opportunity for reflection and reconsideration, or else we are not learning anything, and though I neglected to state it in my previous post, I am able and willing to give due thought to some comments of yours, though so far I really fail to see from where you extracted that first arbitrary judgment in my posts up until then...

Keith, while I agree with some of your sentiments, I think you hate humans, and you hate them far too much....

You seem to have this really depressing, pessimistic attitude about humanity in general, and seem to demonize people (even if it is unintentional, it sure seems this way)....

However, this little snippet is extrapolation bordering on the ridiculous...

Or how about other fundamental human functions. Would you say that sleep is unbalanced, because it is a phase in which the human individual is inactive?

So please forgive me, but you said...

I'm not willing to imagine people as something that they are not. That, if they so choose, is their job.

Honestly, really? So with that...

Imagine if I were to say that you were "superfluous". How would you feel about that?

Please, don't let anything stop you if you want to.

A phenomena that irks you is not necessarily the cause of a real problem.

While what you describe is certainly alarming, but there is a clear correlation betwen low human development and high birth rates. If so called "irresponsible procreation" is present in areas with low human development, it is due to these societal factors also.

Key words here; “phenomena” and “not necessarily”. Thank you for the benefit of the doubt. Your statement may be founded in statistical fact, but it is not exhaustive. Ecuador, for example, is not a low human development country in its urbanized areas, where most of it's population exists. Your statement may have applicability for the Chota and Amazonic region, granted, but the latter of these, who have to live in very close contact with "ecology", do NOT tend to have sprawling families. Quite the contrary, actually. It is those caught halfway between grasping for development, and who are recognizing the value of money, but still on the fringe of poverty, to whom that generalization of yours applies. And as for the urbanized areas, where a significant explosion of the population is taking place, another process is in action. PLEASE NOTE; this is not a demonization, it is an observation because I am on the spot. The case mentioned in the previous post of the family relatives of my neighbours is very simply the reaping of a very poorly administered upbringing, namely excessive pandering and pampering, culminating in the parents experiencing a complete loss of control of their daughters (in this case) as they entered puberty. This trait is a common feature of this family class in Ecuador.

Quote:
Why is such quick turn around so necessary that the risk of turning the soil into desert be taken?

Presumably, it is a lack of oversight. It is very annoying.

Yes, annoying at the very least. To who? And why?

Did you read about what is happening in the Amazon?

Now, why do I find the population explosion around the world "alarming"? Here are the mian points of my concerns (and apologies if I am listing anything anyone discussed on another post);

1. Ecological.

2. Employment.

3. Crime.

4. Contamination / non-recyclable waste.

5. Famine.

6. Energy sources / accelerated consumption of non-replenishable resources.

I am not (yet) adding to these headers. Just to know what some of my thoughts revolve around where this subject is concerned. It just sort of occurs to me every now and then that though we have sights set on colonizing other planets and such, we are at present on the only one that can sustain us. You yourself said that we have not yet learned to integrate into ecology properly. It is high time we did, or else, tie a knot in it until such time as we do learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, why not. Some more enforced denial to allow everyone to continue their existences with a sense of false security - like watching a snowstorm outside through the window from inside a cozy room with a fire burning in the fireplace - will certainly help now. Any counter arguments to that are about as thin and transparent as the liquid that covers the exposed part of an eyeball, assuming the eye to be open at all, that is.
The point is that this is a forum existing to discuss a certain computer program, not conservationalism or population control or religion or elections or lawmaking. It's bad enough that the off-topic subforum is vastly larger than the rest of the website, and 80% of the reason we need moderators in the first place. We certainly aren't going to make this place a Human Condition Awareness/Activist Forum.

Significant awareness is not risen through small internet forums. Significant change is not propagated through small forums either. There are much better places to rally support. /rant

Best regards.

E

ex-orbinaut

The point is that this is a forum existing to discuss a certain computer program, not conservationalism or population control or religion or elections or lawmaking. It's bad enough that the off-topic subforum is vastly larger than the rest of the website, and 80% of the reason we need moderators in the first place. We certainly aren't going to make this place a Human Condition Awareness/Activist Forum.

Significant awareness is not risen through small internet forums. Significant change is not propagated through small forums either. There are much better places to rally support. /rant

Best regards.

Yeah, when you're right your right. Just having some fun exchanging some ideas in a reasonably harmless discussion, plus we have been behaving ourselves quite well, by and large.
:tiphat: Ta-ta!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's bad enough that the off-topic subforum is vastly larger than the rest of the website

I would have to disagree. By my measurements, the off-topic subforum contains only ~47% of O-F's post. That is quite large, but hardly "vastly larger".

attachment.php

Of course, number of posts does not necessarily show the current level of activity.

Nevertheless, I find it difficult to believe that O-F is being consumed by Off-Topic topics. In one case, on another forum I am a member of, the Off-Topic forum made up over 50% of the forum, and the number of posts per day in the 'proper' topics was a staggering 1-3.

Of the 17 posts I can see in my "latest posts" box, 6 directly have to do with Orbiter and 9 are Off-Topic (however two of those 9 are space-related). I wouldn't say it's that bad.

You can only post so much about a certain topic, and the purpose of the off-topic section is not only to facilitate off-topic discussion, but give the community something to do in between when they have ideas about the topic which the forum is in place to facilitate discussion of.

And I think you will always need moderation of some kind. Even with what would otherwise seem to be the most civil user base.

But as soon as Off-Topic becomes 'malignant'... :uhh:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also of course, many news that are discussed are actually in the off-topic since they are not always related to spaceflight.

And then we have there the very popular Formula 1 race threads....