Project Planetary Textures for D3D11

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
If you upgrade your version of directx, you should be able to , even though your h/w may be dx9.

Veterok

Reaction score
WOW! A really nice idea!!!
Are you going to make a D3D9 version? Right now I can't use the D3D11 client, so a version for the D3D9 client would be nice! :thumbup:

Just an idea, implementing it is beyond my means. I'm downloading the data set as it is at the very least a good source of landclass information, and I can extract the waterways and try building a global level 14 specular mask.

A question for asmi, I'm just feeding the normal maps into pltex as bitmaps, is that what I should be doing? Do they get turned into dxt5 files in there?

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you upgrade your version of directx, you should be able to , even though your h/w may be dx9.
On my DXDiag it shows: DirectX version: DirectX 11
So what's wrong with it? I'm using W7!

Last edited:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't following this thread - is there anything ready for now? If so, I have a dedicated server which we can use as a fileserver, so we'll make all this stuff available for http download. I can arrange FTP access so you can upload them there.

Veterok

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't following this thread - is there anything ready for now? If so, I have a dedicated server which we can use as a fileserver, so we'll make all this stuff available for http download. I can arrange FTP access so you can upload them there.
Pm me the login info, and you email or I'm and I'll get uploading when I get home.

Does anyone have a shatters.net account? I want to ask the
texture author's permission to redistribute, I signed up last week, but the admin has yet to approve my account.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Pm me the login info, and you email or I'm and I'll get uploading when I get home.
Sent.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

No, D3D11 client required at least DX10-compliant hardware to run.

A question for asmi, I'm just feeding the normal maps into pltex as bitmaps, is that what I should be doing? Do they get turned into dxt5 files in there?
I think you should ask pltex author about that - I have no idea :) As far as I understand pltex just joins textures together without any processing - but that's just my wild guess...

Veterok

Reaction score
Levels 1-8 are not included in the higher resolution packs, if you want the high resolution tiles you need to grab both.
\---Planets
+---Earth
| | Earth_Normals_LVL11.zip
| | Earth_Normals_LVL8.zip
| |
: | \---Moon
| Moon_Normals_LVL11.zip
| Moon_Normals_LVL8.zip
| Moon_Surface_LVL11.zip
| Moon_Surface_LVL8.zip
|
+---Jupiter
| +---Callisto
| | Callisto_Normals_LVL8.zip
| | Callisto_Surface_LVL8.zip
| | Callisto_Surface_LVL9.zip
| |
| \---Io
| Io_Surface_LVL8.zip
| Io_Normals_LVL8.zip
|
\---Mars
Mars_Normals_LVL10.zip
Mars_Normals_LVL8.zip
Mars_Surface_LVL10.zip
Mars_Surface_LVL8.zip

With the exception of the Earth Normals, these textures are all the work of John van Vliet, they were posted on CelestiaMotherlode.net under the Creative Commons licence.
Good job John! Especially on the Moon!
:cheers:

Last edited:

Glider

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've tested some of these textures. All L8 textures and normals works as they should. Earth L11, Moon L11, Io L8, Callisto L8 normals works correctly and cover all planet surface. (Though they have increased size because of unnecessary 9 mipmaps for each tile, but it affects only file size) But it seems that something wrong with Mars. Mars L10 normal texture has only 240 L9 and 960 L10 tiles (covers 17% of planet.) Also Mars_tile.bin has 720 specular texture offsets and since there's no specular texture the client can CTD.

I wasn't able to extract Moon L11 surface and Callisto L8 textures - it says "archive is damaged or has different format". :hmm:

I think it will be possible later to decrease file size for L11 Earth normal by removing tiles for water-covered regions.:)

Veterok

Reaction score
I re-upped Callisto_LVL8 and Moon_LVL11, and fixed the broken moon_LVL8 link. I'm working on Mars now.

So should I not check the generate mip-maps option in pltex then?

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So should I not check the generate mip-maps option in pltex then?
Yes, as far as I understand, mipmaps are not used anyways, so please do not include them - it will save a fair amount of disk space and, more importantly, RAM and video memory at runtime.

Veterok

Reaction score
I rebuilt all the Mars maps, with no mip-maps, and hopefully all the tiles this time :)

Doh, I forgot to zip up the specular masks again.

asmi, can you put those in the zip files when you get a chance?

Last edited:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Will do this tonight.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Doh, I forgot to zip up the specular masks again.
mars_lmask.tex
mars_tile_lmask.tex

I've added them to Mars_surface_LVL10.zip archive. I hope that's what you intended me to do :)
Please confirm that it's indeed is what you wanted, and if so - please let me know and delete these two file from FTP.

Veterok

Reaction score
Will do this tonight.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

I've added them to Mars_surface_LVL10.zip archive. I hope that's what you intended me to do :)
Please confirm that it's indeed is what you wanted, and if so - please let me know and delete these two file from FTP.
Mars_lmask should be in surface_LVL8, LVL10 is the right place for the other.

Veterok

Reaction score
The LVL_8 file was right, I'm going to assume you got the LVL_10 one right so I don't have to download it. I deleted the unzipped files.

Richieb

Reaction score
Have tried 3 times to unzip Moon_Surface_LVL11.zip and on all occasions have recieved the message " cannot open file it does not appear to be a valid archive "
I would be very grateful if you could fix this file please.

Veterok

Reaction score
Have tried 3 times to unzip Moon_Surface_LVL11.zip and on all occasions have recieved the message " cannot open file it does not appear to be a valid archive "
I would be very grateful if you could fix this file please.

Can you confirm you downloaded it after 2/2? If it is still broken I'll upload it again tonight.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you confirm you downloaded it after 2/2? If it is still broken I'll upload it again tonight.
Just checked on the server - it is broken there ("Invalid archive blah-blah" when I try to open it). Please delete the current one and re-upload.