Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Fireproof

Reaction score
what
ok let me explain how it works.
Lets say that you have an extra X52 stick that you don't use, you want to get rid of it but you don't want to sell it. The pay it forward thread allows you to get rid of stuff that you wouldn't be able to sell

Oh and I forgot to say the reason it is called Pay It Forward is because you pay the shipping

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
what
ok let me explain how it works.
Lets say that you have an extra X52 stick that you don't use, you want to get rid of it but you don't want to sell it. The pay it forward thread allows you to get rid of stuff that you wouldn't be able to sell

Oh and I forgot to say the reason it is called Pay It Forward is because you pay the shipping
Actually, I'd be willing to bet that the reason it's called pay it forward is because it's in reference to the "pay it forward" philosophy (see [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward"]wikipedia[/ame] for an explanation.)

The idea isn't "oh hey cool I get free stuff."

The idea would be "Hey, I get free stuff from someone else, and I also 'pay it forward' by giving stuff I don't want anymore to someone who does."

Fireproof

Reaction score
Uh ok I don't know how to answer that.
But do you think that Orbiter Forum should have a Pay It Forward thread

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't really see a need, and it is a blurry line in the way of the rules.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
where does it say that. I don't see it.

There is a link in the rules to Terms of Service:
Terms of Service said:
... you will not:
  • Advertise any goods or services for any commercial purpose without explicit permission from ORBITER-FORUM.COM.
  • Offer to sell any goods or services for any commercial purpose without explicit permission from ORBITER-FORUM.COM.
And that's why it's a blurry line, because "paying it forward" would advertise goods you give away "for free", and could easily turn into exchanging those goods ([ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade]trading[/ame]), i.e. into commercial activity.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Fireproof: You totally missed the point of Pay it Forward. You get something free that someone else didn't want, so you continue the gesture by giving away something you no longer want. If you just keep some free stuff and don't pay anything forward, then you've cheated the entire effort.

Additionally tl8 and orb make valid points about the Terms of Service here. While Pay it Forward is a noble gesture, using the forum to secure those transactions puts some liability on our shoulders which is the reason why the terms do not allow it. :tiphat:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
There's always FreeCycle for that, though it might not be in your area, it's basically the same thing, however you are not obliged to give anything away.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds like a internet version of the classic "Schrottwichteln" during Christmas here in Germany.

The English word [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Santa"]Secret Santa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] does not really describe it, you could maybe use for the translation "Junk Santa".

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
This sounds like something that could be found fully operational on a different website. I like O-F being an exchange of orbiter related information rather than a barter post

you could start a site like this for orbinauts on a free forum server, and post an invite for anyone interested, i think that would be ok so long as it doesn't really have any specific affiliation with this website

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I pay my stuff forward to a local thrift store called St. Vincent De Paul. They take donations of people's "no longer needed" items, sell them in their store, then turn around and use the profits to help area families in need. Because I don't know what the future holds. Someday I might be the guy in need. That's the true premise behind pay it forward. Maybe describe it as "reserving karma" or something - give it to someone else that needs it, because you never know when you might need something from someone someday.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Indeed. I donate most of my unwanted but still functional items to local charities. Partly because I don't need them and others do, also because I have been the person benefiting from said donations in the past, and I know full well how the system works.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yes there is even a movie about this concept as well.

I'm pretty sure the original concept is that it is a way of doing something in return for something done good to you.

The twist is that if someone does something nice for you, but refuses any type of recompense, then the way you can really pay them back is by "paying it forward," or in other words, by helping someone else when you are able, and not asking for anything in return but for them to also "pay it forward"

example:
Bob: "Hey Joe can I borrow 10 dollars? I need a taxi but am broke."
Joe: "Sure man, here's 10 bucks."
Bob: "Oh wow thank you so much I'll pay you back at the end of the month."
Joe: "No thanks Joe, just pay it forward."
Bob: "Okay deal!"

At the end of the month, instead of paying Joe his money back, Bob gives 10 dollars to a homeless person, asking that that homeless person pay it forward if he can.

The homeless person wins the lottery and gets a million dollars, then he pays it forward by giving 10 dollars to his friend in need. etc etc etc