New Release OverrideRCS :: a helper for joystick-packing orbinauts

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi...

i was having trouble setting up the hats on my Saitek X52pro to control the translation RCS thrusters simultaneously with the stick controlling rotation... aparently it was not possible...

the only addon that allowed this was Fly-By-Wire, but it didn´t sit very well with the stock controls, making it impossible to switch RCS off and conflicting with it when on

so i devised a simple workaround plugin that creates overriding keyboard shortcuts for linear RCS control... this way, you can use something like JoyRide to let you work the axes and assign the override shortcuts to the hats using the SST profiler or Joy-2-Key...

then leave the SHIP in ROT mode, and use the stick to control rotation as usual, but now with the hat (or whatever you have assigned) controlling the translation at the same time :cheers:

this thing is pretty crude... just a dll that once installed, hardlinks the standard numpad keys to the translation controls... it was built on top of the "remote control" tool, which i stripped out of it´s visual interface to respond to keyboard...

it´s a very functional addon, nothing else... there´s only an entry in the extras panel so you know it´s properly set

once it´s installed, you´ll have overriding linear controls on the numpad (be sure to assign the rotation controls to other keys, if you wanna use this without a stick)

the ctrl key allows fine low-power control when held down...

to install, just drop the dll in the orbiter/modules/plugin folder and activate it on the launchpad, then tell me if it works, ´cause this hasn´t been tested at all on any PC other than mine

*disclaimer: this is a below-beta thing, don´t blame me if something blows up

:tiphat:
happy re-entries

Attachments

• OverrideRCS.zip
    82.3 KB · Views: 18

ganlhi

Reaction score
Hello !

I found this plugin very interresting ! Unfortunately it didn't work on my PC... In fact, if I set the RCS in Rotation mode and hit NUMPAD6, the ship goes forward and roll on the right in the same time.

Good luck for debugging. Very cool idea ! ;)

dnt462

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Neat, but similar problem to ganlhi, If i use the keyboard, it is screwy, i could elaborate more on that. One thing, if i set the ship to translation then used the 6 or 9 keys, it fire both the forward and rear thrusters. You should probably assign the rotational(or translational) keys to something else. Weird, that didn't seem to work quite right. Ill try again later but someone need the computer:rolleyes:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmm... i thought that could happen...
i made that thing in a bit of haste... i just wanted to get the hat on my saitek working... so i hard-coded the key bindings... obviously, it conflicts with the default settings...

to get it to work quickly, simply remove the standard numpad keys for rcs control, or have them mapped with shift or ctrl...
then they -shouldn't- conflict.... and don't bother switching to linear mode, it doesn't matter, the keys are hard-bound to the linear thrustergroups, regardless of rcs mode setting...

this thing is just a quick-fix... not really a solid tool... it could become one, in time... when i have time, that is...:hmm:

ganlhi

Reaction score
Hi !

I mapped ROT commands on Shift+NumpadN, and there are no conflicts anymore. Now I can use Translation and Rotation RCS without changing RCS mode, pretty cool.

I just have to be carefull when I enter digits in popup input boxes, and not use Numpad for this. If I do, RCS thrusters fire while I'm typing ^^