Hardware Overclocking my Graphics Card

Columbia42

Reaction score
I have an ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card. What are the risks and benefits of overclocking this card? I have the ATI Catalyst control center installed which has an option to adjust things like memory clock speed. What kinds of risks are associated with this and will it noticeably increase performance?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Performance will be affected only in graphically intense programs/games, in Orbiter you should see a very small improvement, if at all.

If overclocking is performed gradually there are no big risks involved, the worst that can happen is that the pc crashes, but since it is a software-controlled overclock rebooting would solve the issue and you won't be stuck with wrong/dangerouse settings.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
IMO overclocking a graphics card isn't worth the risk. What games are you playing that you need the bump for?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
High risk, low benefit. Not worth it with a GFX card. I did it with my GeForce 6600 GT - the GT is already OCed by factory settings but can go an extra 5 or 10 MHz, but the system becomes unstable.

Columbia42

Reaction score
My clock settings are currently at 650 Mhz but the range extends to 700. My memory clock is at 800 but can go to 900. Will this give me any kind of boost in Orbiter FPS? (With orulex enabled I have a pretty low framerate and bumping this up is my main goal)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My clock settings are currently at 650 Mhz but the range extends to 700. My memory clock is at 800 but can go to 900. Will this give me any kind of boost in Orbiter FPS? (With orulex enabled I have a pretty low framerate and bumping this up is my main goal)
What do you have in the rest of your computer? I highly doubt that the 5570 is your bottleneck.

Keatah

Reaction score
The risk is you will "blow-up" your card or shorten the life significantly. The risk is you will get some sort of data corruption. You'll find the frustrations exceed the benefits. Any CTD will always leave you wondering whether it is the system, or a bug in an add-on, for example.

From my experience with overclocking graphics cards when I was a fanboi I wouldn't see much fps increase. Certainly not enough to take something unplayable and make it playable WHILE maintaining system stability. Oftentimes I'd need to get a 100mhz+ increase just to see a few fps, if that. It really was rare that an overclock would take something unplayable and make it playable.

The main bottleneck within your videocard could be the 128-bit memory bus. True performance cards use 256bit bus and greater, but then they command a price that is much higher also.

You need to tell us about the rest of your system so we can "analyze" your efforts and make better suggestions.

Columbia42

Reaction score
In addition to my ATI HD 5570 GPU I have a Pentium D dual-core 2.8ghz processor and 2 gbs RAM. Upgrading my RAM would (I think) definitely increase performance as would getting a new CPU but I'm reluctant to do this because I'm thinking about getting an entirely new computer some time in the near future.

Keatah

Reaction score
In addition to my ATI HD 5570 GPU I have a Pentium D dual-core 2.8ghz processor and 2 gbs RAM. Upgrading my RAM would (I think) definitely increase performance as would getting a new CPU but I'm reluctant to do this because I'm thinking about getting an entirely new computer some time in the near future.

Upgrading ram will do almost nothing for Orbiter. Your cpu of 2.8GHz is sufficient for Orbiter as well.
Upgrading your graphics card to one with a 256 or 384 bit-wide memory interface *will* speed things up.

What is your framerate now?

Columbia42

Reaction score
Without orulex I get 150-200 FPS. With Orulex I get anywhere from 15-30. With Igel's Vostok addon installed I only get about 15 FPS at launch which surprised me made me wonder about overclocking.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Not worth the risk. Like others have said before, you risk shortening the life of your hardware, or frying it, plus making your system stable, for the gain of maybe a few fps. If anything, overclock your CPU. If it's stock speed is 2.8 GHz, then you should be able to hit 3.5 or 4 Ghz, assuming you get a decent fan. Remember, Orbiter is a CPU-dependent program, not a GPU-dependent program. If anything, just replace your graphics card maybe? Also what OS are you running out of curiosity?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If it's stock speed is 2.8 GHz, then you should be able to hit 3.5 or 4 Ghz, assuming you get a decent fan.
Depends on the CPU and mother boards. Some CPUs are more receptive to overclocking than others.

Keatah

Reaction score
Depends on the CPU and mother boards. Some CPUs are more receptive to overclocking than others.

What he said. Though, unless you consider and treat overclocking like an extreme sport (yeh there are overclocking nationals!) it really ain't worth it. I would just buy a faster system. The amount of futzing and putzing you need to do is disproportionate to the end results.

I always tell my clients it is easy to upgrade to more functionality, like adding in a digitizer or a printer or expanded networking capabilities, yepsticks, ghamepads, multi-monitors..

It is much more difficult to upgrade for increased performance speedwise. Usually, you want more FPS, so you get a new supha-doopah graphics card, well, that demands to be fed, now you need a new cpu to push data to it.. Heheheheh - now you need new memory and a motherboard to match the cpu and tie it all together. Hopefully, your power supply is good enough to handle an overclock or an upgrade. And your case sufficient to handle the extra heat.

*I* personally view the mobo/cpu/gpu combo as one. And all three components generally should be upgraded and swapped all together all at once.

Folks that often get a wow-whiz-a-bang performance increase by changing a "single" one of those components separately are lucky. And even more likely, they had an unbalanced system to begin with! An unbalanced system which is now correctly configured and working.

I tell you it's a racket out there, the graphics card industry just loves upgraders!

Last edited: