General Question Outer Planet Space Station?

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I've been in the stages of planning a Space Station to be used as a refueling station for exploration of the outer planets. The current idea is to haul some SBB 4.1 pieces out to Jupiter using an XR5, although I'm open to ideas.

What I've been wondering is, should I place the station in Jovian orbit, or should it be in orbit of one of the moons? If I do decide to use the Jovian system, is there anything I should know about the gravity that would affect my plans? Or should I just give up and go back to the drawing board for my Martian station?

Ark

Reaction score
I've had fair luck with stations in orbit around the outer moons, they seem fairly stable (at least until I start going nuts with the time warp, then they tend to crash into whatever they're orbiting). Only problem is I haven't figured out how to actually set up a flight that'll take me from one of the inner planets directly into orbit around a moon without stopping in Jupiter orbit and setting up another transfer.

Last edited:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is a surface base you can download called ReFuel Ganymede. I placed it at a fairly easy location on the moon. As far as a station and where to place it, that all depends on what the mission is going to be. Will it be a refueling depot for arrivals to Jupiter space or will its main mission be refueling when your flying around the moon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Jupiter

The link provided is a really good page to study Jupiter space and learn the orbits of the satellites so you can refine your mission. Study good and good luck