Bug OrbiterSound hangs Orbiter on Vista and Win7...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I tried joining dan's forums to report the bug there, but never got approved, so I'll post this here and maybe someone will find it...

On Vista and Win7, if Orbiter is in windowed mode, switching focus to another window while in external view (with OrbiterSound playing music) will cause Orbiter to hang within a few seconds.

This does not occur without OrbiterSound active, and does occur with OrbiterSound active and playing music. It also does not occur in the internal view (no music playing) with OrbiterSound active.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
To confirm it is only related to the music, verify it with music playing in the internal view (via the MFD).
I imagine this is quite annoying, especialy since it should also happen when viewing the internal help system (or not?).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
To confirm it is only related to the music, verify it with music playing in the internal view (via the MFD).
I imagine this is quite annoying, especialy since it should also happen when viewing the internal help system (or not?).
Yes, with the music playing internally, it hung after like 10 seconds of having focus on another window.

It also will hang when focus is on the help window.

Forgot to mention -- the music keeps playing while it's hung, but it has the characteristic "white fade" of hung programs on Vista...

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Clicking the X to close the window pops up the "not responding, close or wait for response" dialog -- when the Orbiter menu is open, selecting "wait for response" will clear the problem, but when it's not, the problem does not go away.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll second this although I have silence of space enables. I thought it was just something I had done or some other weird un-fixable bug. I'm already registered on Dan's forum, I'll post there and link to this topic.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Ok, created the topic in Dan's forum: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=13672&t=13672

I've also done my own testing as indicated in the topic so I can also confirm at least under Vista.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll second this although I have silence of space enables. I thought it was just something I had done or some other weird un-fixable bug. I'm already registered on Dan's forum, I'll post there and link to this topic.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Ok, created the topic in Dan's forum: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=13672&t=13672

I've also done my own testing as indicated in the topic so I can also confirm at least under Vista.
Thanks for posting that--it looks like you got a reply. You may want to point out that without OrbiterSound playing music, changing focus to another window while in windowed mode works just fine, so this is clearly a bug with OrbiterSound, not Orbiter itself.

I think what "sunshine135" was talking about was that alt-tabbing while in full-screen is problematic, which is a known issue with Orbiter...