Orbiter Video Thread

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I had damede enabled - but look, it's also at launch and also at some other vides - it seems to be a bug with the replay - at timelapse it's a bi less precise, wich isn't seen in flight, but at landing it means that the wheels go up and down through the ground...

thetraceur

Reaction score
I am trying to master landing, I always seem to flare to early or to late so I either touch down way to fast or start going up again. I appreciate tips on landing ( DG ).

Just filmed one of my landing while I was training on them for fun.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/25739171"]Orbiter 2010: Landing training on Vimeo[/ame]

Shinrar

Reaction score
I am trying to master landing, I always seem to flare to early or to late so I either touch down way to fast or start going up again. I appreciate tips on landing ( DG ).

That actually looks pretty impressive to me. My goal is to always dead-stick my XR2 in from my De-orbit burn, and my landings rarely look as clean as that.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score

Just filmed one of my landing while I was training on them for fun.

Orbiter 2010: Landing training on Vimeo

From that video i would say you are coming in to fast.

I typically fly with 5-8 degree AoA on final and as i pass over the end of the runway up that to 10 degrees to bleed speed, and then try to float down on to the runway. I modify that process to each craft and landing mass.

Last edited:

Unstung

Reaction score
Hal, please lower the bass on your intros. I've started to notice an occasional crackling coming from my speakers.

Last edited:

thetraceur

Reaction score
That actually looks pretty impressive to me. My goal is to always dead-stick my XR2 in from my De-orbit burn, and my landings rarely look as clean as that.

Thank you, Shinrar. But I can imagine it is a bit harder to come in from a De-Orbit burn, atleast for me. :lol: I just flew around in the atmosphere around KSC, and this landing was one of my better ones. :lol:

Evil_Onyx

Thank you for your advice! :) I tried coming in in the angle you said, but I don't really know exactly when to flare and what speed I should have. If I come in at around 140m/s it almost feel hard to get the nose up and slow down the descent, so the wheels hit the runway quite hard. On the other hand, if I come in at around 190m/s and flare, I will ofcourse go up again.

In the video I touchdown at around 160-180m/s. I used the Airbrakers to slow down a little before touchdown. But still it feels that I touchdown a bit to hard. I flared about 30-45 meters above the runway.

Adelanthal

Reaction score
Obviously a little hard to tell from the video, but it appears that you're putting the glide slope indicator right at the desired point of touchdown. Try putting it about one indicator diameter before the point of touchdown and start your flare at ~50-60 m at 140 m/s indicated airspeed. All in all, though, it looks like you've got landing pretty much down pat.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Thank you, Shinrar. But I can imagine it is a bit harder to come in from a De-Orbit burn, atleast for me. :lol: I just flew around in the atmosphere around KSC, and this landing was one of my better ones. :lol:

Evil_Onyx

Thank you for your advice! :) I tried coming in in the angle you said, but I don't really know exactly when to flare and what speed I should have. If I come in at around 140m/s it almost feel hard to get the nose up and slow down the descent, so the wheels hit the runway quite hard. On the other hand, if I come in at around 190m/s and flare, I will ofcourse go up again.

In the video I touchdown at around 160-180m/s. I used the Airbrakers to slow down a little before touchdown. But still it feels that I touchdown a bit to hard. I flared about 30-45 meters above the runway.

Ive attached a playback of a quick landing i have done, its been along time since I've flown the DeltaGlider.

I flared at 125m/s and 16-18m above the runway and touched down at 116m/s. This with a mostly full fuel load, on a re-entry it would be lighter and slower.

But any landing you can walkaway from is a good one :)

Last edited:

thetraceur

Reaction score
Ive attached a playback of a quick landing i have done, its been along time since I've flown the DeltaGlider.

I flared at 125m/s and 16-18m above the runway and touched down at 116m/s. This with a mostly full fuel load, on a re-entry it would be lighter and slower.

But any landing you can walkaway from is a good one :)

Thank you so much, Evil_Onyx!! :) :cheers:

I will study your technique closely! :thumbup:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hal, please lower the bass on your intros. I've started to notice an occasional crackling coming from my speakers.

+2.

My right rear speaker was blown after I clicked on one of his videos last week, so now I'm looking for a replacement... :blackeye:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
+2.

My right rear speaker was blown after I clicked on one of his videos last week, so now I'm looking for a replacement... :blackeye:

I'm very sorry, next time I'll try to turn down volume next time.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
also I'll use global-frame to keep camera fix more or less at the next Video

I already did the flight, using the Orbiter-record-feature now I have to "frap" it. It's about a fictive future Shuttle mission - STS-192 launch in the year 2024.

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
+2.

+3
I had my volume up and clicked his video... my ears are still ringing

Not a bad video though, HAL9001. Just keep the camera steady and make the sound more... bearable.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I just have thhis :censored:-damn-stupid habit to turn my Voulme down almoust fully, so when I cut and adjusted Audio It sounded normal for me...

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just have thhis :censored:-damn-stupid habit to turn my Voulme down almoust fully, so when I cut and adjusted Audio It sounded normal for me...

You need to check the audio level using some kind of VU-meter. The sound is badly distorted. Some sound cards normalize the signal before D/A conversion, so you can't rely on just your ears.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
You need to check the audio level using some kind of VU-meter. The sound is badly distorted. Some sound cards normalize the signal before D/A conversion, so you can't rely on just your ears.

This is really good to know, because I have a VU-meter, etc... I just never used it ,because i thought that i could rely on my ears...:facepalm::blush::facepalm:

SleepParalysis

Reaction score

Never Forget.

I planed this a while ago, and once I started filming this (first Orbiter video), I've been hooked recently on the sim. Maybe I'll do another.

orbekler

Reaction score
This is the XR1 challenge scenario "Rescue Disabled XR1-01 (hard)".

[ame="http://vimeo.com/26377224"]http://vimeo.com/26377224[/ame]

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com