Orbiter Video Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey Tex, I hope this won't sting too much, but... I think it falls short of your previous videos.

The production values have improved and it is clearly visible that you put a lot of effort into this, that's really not the problem. I have always admired your style of almost purely visual storytelling, using evocative and memorable scenes coupled with a soundtrack that supported them in the best way possible. Your films are always a short, emotional and thoughtful trip through space and possibility for me.
This one has such moments too, but they're constantly being broken up by the narration instead of flowing seamlessly into each other as is your signature style. I appreciate the effort to co-opt a familiar voice, but Scott, while being a great presenter, isn't that good an actor. Maybe the film would feel different to me if the narration managed to pick up the emotional load usually carried by the music, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's also because the narrative is a bit cliche and overdone (except for the twist in the end, that was a cool touch). In general, I feel like this film has too much telling, and too little showing when compared to your other work.

It's still very good work, though, and I don't want to discourage you, now that you finally seem to pick up films again. We've been without Tex Films for way too long! :thumbup:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey Tex, I hope this won't sting too much, but... I think it falls short of your previous videos.

The production values have improved and it is clearly visible that you put a lot of effort into this, that's really not the problem. I have always admired your style of almost purely visual storytelling, using evocative and memorable scenes coupled with a soundtrack that supported them in the best way possible. Your films are always a short, emotional and thoughtful trip through space and possibility for me.
This one has such moments too, but they're constantly being broken up by the narration instead of flowing seamlessly into each other as is your signature style. I appreciate the effort to co-opt a familiar voice, but Scott, while being a great presenter, isn't that good an actor. Maybe the film would feel different to me if the narration managed to pick up the emotional load usually carried by the music, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's also because the narrative is a bit cliche and overdone (except for the twist in the end, that was a cool touch). In general, I feel like this film has too much telling, and too little showing when compared to your other work.

It's still very good work, though, and I don't want to discourage you, now that you finally seem to pick up films again. We've been without Tex Films for way too long! :thumbup:

No worries here and no offense taken or anything. I've developed a thick skin over the years when it comes to constructive criticism of my films. I really appreciate your extremely insightful feedback.

Oddly enough, I originally performed the narration myself in draft versions of the video, but my voice just didn't have the impact I was looking for. This project was something I've wanted to do for a long time; that is tell a story with a voice heavy story line combined with stunning visuals. I think my favorite projects still remain stories told with music and little, to no narration. But, this was a lot of fun to create something new and push myself way past all previous work in terms of new skills acquired specifically for this project.

Thank you again for your honest feedback. I appreciate it more than you know. :cheers:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
A cinematic look behind the scenes. The Making of "Interplanetary"! [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDL0C-Y3gDA"]The Making of "Interplanetary" - YouTube[/ame]

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Oh yes, I followed his sun tutorial. He's a genius with AE. Would have never figured that out on my own. Thanks for watching.

Pioneer

Reaction score
Question for Tex. Is the slingshot plan in the video completely fictional or could it be theoretically flown in real life?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Question for Tex. Is the slingshot plan in the video completely fictional or could it be theoretically flown in real life?

You could sling shot the sun, but in this instance, it would actually cost more to do so, so that's where fiction was in play for cinematic purposes.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A "sling shot" is a three body problem...
:thumbup: I almost missed that!

But if you account for the super massive black hole in the galaxy's center, we're back to three bodies :p

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
The new Mars HRSC-based textures are finally out. Here's a little taster:

[ame="https://youtu.be/lFBw0-upcaY"]https://youtu.be/lFBw0-upcaY[/ame]

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Simply FANTASTIC!
Thank you so much Martin

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Beautiful, in a very desolate way !

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSaHha-64M"]Orbiter Baseland Demo - YouTube[/ame]