Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Thank you for developing Orbiter Shipyard. Its disappointing to hear the project does't have a future
The thing turned out to be too monumental, not something i can do on a bunch of weekends and with a low attention to details.
I'm much better at making simple, straightforward add-ons, like [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5669"]Autotime[/ame] , [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4864"]Videnie orbit drawing 1.0[/ame] , [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2297"]WarpDrive MFD Mk2[/ame] or [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2855"]Tetris MFD v1.1[/ame]

A new project is always an option - for example, putting together the orbiter shipyard's core and the station maker's interface we can easily get a Kerbal Space Program-like vessel maker.

Maybe even drop the shipyard part, and go for a simple visual Velcro Rockets scenario generator.

and I was wondering if you would consider making it open source.
Not going to happen.
First, it is made in my personal flavour of pascal language, which once have been described as being like "reading word documents in notepad".
As such, a probability of it being worked on by anyone else is extremely unlikely.

Second, i don't have a full set of sources by now - it was put together from a varied set of pieces, each of which evolve on it's own. I'll have to get the things up-to-date and rewrite it all to work with the current stuff.

The DLL generator ended up as SC3->DLL converter, the GUI turned into a generic GUI lib, the graphics is the OGLA engine biased to Spaceway by now, and the shipyard itself got stuck in 2009, totally out of sync.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

There's another project in development right now which has a much wider functionality and than (with due respect) Orbiter Shipyard. We're quite close to a release version, maybe few weeks or so.
Any details, or is it secret?
Can't find anything for "Orbiter Scenario Editor" on OF.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com

Any details, or is it secret?
Can't find anything for "Orbiter Scenario Editor" on OF.

Why no, here is it:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26003

Jedidia is a project leader and coder.

By Orbiter Scenario Editor i meant, well, Orbiter Scenario Editor. The thing you use to spawn vessels in Orbiter and dock them together. :) IMS does everything else.

Currently we can: build a single vessel from different modules (including animated ones) and fly wherever you want with it, manage power production/consumption of the vessel, manage its thermodynamics, manage its UMMU crew. Thing to do next is a limited damage simulation.

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Oh wait. I guess I mixed up Orbiter Shipyard with some other your project. There was a project of yours where you've been able to compose vessel of different modules. Sorry, seems like a wrong thread :facepalm::lol:

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

I believe it was a Station Shipyard. Well, it's not that difficult to confuse two things with one another by names.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
By Orbiter Scenario Editor i meant, well, Orbiter Scenario Editor.
Ah. And i was looking for some sort of OSH-like visual scenario maker. :)
IMS was too different kind of a beast to think of, while still quite interesting.

I believe it was a Station Shipyard. Well, it's not that difficult to confuse two things with one another by names.
Well, both shipyards are 75% the same program, besides a similar name, so no surprise here.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's another project in development right now which has a much wider functionality and than (with due respect) Orbiter Shipyard. We're quite close to a release version, maybe few weeks or so.

Which project is that?

TaylorR137

Reaction score
The thing turned out to be too monumental, not something i can do on a bunch of weekends and with a low attention to details.
I'm much better at making simple, straightforward add-ons, like Autotime , Videnie orbit drawing 1.0 , WarpDrive MFD Mk2 or Tetris MFD v1.1

A new project is always an option - for example, putting together the orbiter shipyard's core and the station maker's interface we can easily get a Kerbal Space Program-like vessel maker.

Maybe even drop the shipyard part, and go for a simple visual Velcro Rockets scenario generator.

Not going to happen.
First, it is made in my personal flavour of pascal language, which once have been described as being like "reading word documents in notepad".
As such, a probability of it being worked on by anyone else is extremely unlikely.

Second, i don't have a full set of sources by now - it was put together from a varied set of pieces, each of which evolve on it's own. I'll have to get the things up-to-date and rewrite it all to work with the current stuff.

I totally understand. KSP-like is exactly what I'm looking for, but with perhaps some engineering and trajectory help as well during the design phase (e.g. payload estimates, launch windows). Its a big project and would ideally be a fully integrated part of the Orbiter interface. Hopefully that happens soon, or the Interplanetary modular spacecraft project fills some of that gap.

With Orbiter's realism and attention to detail, a KSP-like interface allowing for rapid prototyping would present an enormous educational opportunity.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
off topic but PeterRoss, what is your avatar from?

It's yeti from 'How not to rescue a princess' ('Три богатыря и Шамаханская царица').

I totally understand. KSP-like is exactly what I'm looking for, but with perhaps some engineering and trajectory help as well during the design phase (e.g. payload estimates, launch windows). Its a big project and would ideally be a fully integrated part of the Orbiter interface. Hopefully that happens soon, or the Interplanetary modular spacecraft project fills some of that gap.

With Orbiter's realism and attention to detail, a KSP-like interface allowing for rapid prototyping would present an enormous educational opportunity.

As far as I see it IMS fills all the gap. It's quite like KSP made inside Orbiter. The only thing IMS can't is atmospheric flights (it can in fact, but like any other vessel with no defined aerodynamics). It may be fixed in later releases.
As for educational opportunity - well, thanks to IMS I know about heat management of space vessels more than I ever wanted to know :lol:

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well, thanks to IMS I know about heat management of space vessels more than I ever wanted to know :lol:
me too, and I learned how unrealistic all the sci-fi films are with huge great ships with puny engines strapped to them! in the real world it just dosen't work like that as I found out the hard way with IMS :thumbup:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cant help but wonder, but roughly how long will it be before the IMS Project is Finished? It sounds very interesting :)