Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
That would be the perfect solution because honestly I have no idea how to get home....

First a "transfer" to Jupiter? But what then?
I can't set up TransX to a trip to home... I don't get it... :-(
Any tutorials out there for a return from Europa?!

Suggestion: Get yourself into an orbit around Jupiter, any orbit will do, but watch that you don't run into Europa. Then use the same MFD(s) you used to get from Earth to Jupiter to get yourself back to Earth. Although it's more efficient to leave the Jupiter system from as close to Jupiter as possible, having your closest approach to Jupiter match the exact moment you want to leave just complicates things tremendously. Watch your delta V requirements. Coming 'downhill' sun-wise takes a lot of effort to slow down once you reach your destination. Aerobraking is 1 way to reduce the delta V if you've got an aerodynamic vehicle.

The SSTV (which is NOT aerodynamic, so no aerobraking) has close to 20 Mm/sec of delta V, which means it can pretty much go anywhere, anytime. It does not need to use gravity assists or wait for planetary alignments to get anywhere in the solar system. SSTV stands for Solar System Transport Vehicle, and that's what it is designed to do.

I once calculated that it could do a 100 day transit from Earth to Pluto, using about 80% of its propellant. The hardest part of that mission? Slowing down at Pluto. Having to do a 45 minute orbit insertion burn at Pluto is pretty tricky using the existing MFDs.

Dantassii

Nicholander

Reaction score
Koloss, here's an idea:

1. Use this to figure out when the next Jupiter-Earth transfer window is.
2. Learn IMFD with [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1447"]this[/ame].
3. Lift off from Europa and enter an orbit around Jupiter. Do the same stuff as in the tutorial, except changing some of the parameters to fit the Jupiter-Earth thing.
4. Yay!. You're back on Earth!

Also, this is where you download IMFD

EDIT: Also, show us the SSTV! PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wormhole

c5585ut13l4osm8fg.jpg

0qwtsva8ld0qgakfg.jpg

Last edited:

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Koloss, here's an idea:

1. Use this to figure out when the next Jupiter-Earth transfer window is.
2. Learn IMFD with this.
3. Lift off from Europa and enter an orbit around Jupiter. Do the same stuff as in the tutorial, except changing some of the parameters to fit the Jupiter-Earth thing.
4. Yay!. You're back on Earth!

Also, this is where you download IMFD

EDIT: Also, show us the SSTV! PLEASE!!!

Hi,

Thanks a lot! I will take a closer look tomorrow morning (day off - time for orbiting, yay!)

By now I know how to get to all the planets by using TransX but now I was not able to change all the variables. Pretty strange.

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-23-14 at 06:18 PM ----------

Allrighty,

yesterday evening I started my Laptop and Orbiter and what can I tell you?
TransX worked like a charm. I was able to to the eject burn and now I am cruising towards Earth..

Nevertheless, I will take a look at IMFD. It seems to be a lot more user friendly.

On my way home!

Dantassii

Reaction score
Nevertheless, I will take a look at IMFD. It seems to be a lot more user friendly...

I've found that IMFD makes it trivially simple to match orbits with a station or other object already in orbit. As far as interplanetary flight is concerned, it is definitely different than TransX. Some find it easier, some find it harder, and some like me, find it different. If you are going to be flying between the planets much using Orbiter, learning how to use both TransX and IMFD proficiently will make your life much easier.

In both cases, practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

Dantassii

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
STS-48 deploys UARS

Attachments

• STS-48 UARS Deploy.jpg
    STS-48 UARS Deploy.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 92

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Nicholander

Reaction score

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Man, Urwumpe's Anim8or plug-in is GREAT.

Here it is. The add-on's still in a preliminary state, can't even get it to run any scenarios :facepalm:, but I got the meshes in regardless. The actual rocket's a jumbled mess, I try to show you guys later. :) Don't know why the fairing looks like that...

Also, these are all test mesh, so the final product will obviously be much more detailed. Still working on a valid autopilot, and textures. And getting the actual scenarios to run...

In test scenarios, the Aquarius has enough power to place 50800 kg to LEO and still deorbit the upper stage. I'm considering releasing a test version before the final product.

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
These are from the cubesat scenario with new cargo box texture,its a fun mission syncing orbit with two objects in sucsession,EVAing and packing.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apollo 7 dumping urine over the South China Sea.

fb871f4c8b.jpg