Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Piorun

Reaction score
I'm targetting Jupiter, so yeah :p
It might be a good idea to use Pioneer One as a "spacecraft carrier" for Delta-glider or a dedicated lander - the interplanetary ship enters into orbit around Jupiter (or even Saturn, because why not 🤷‍♂️), and soon thereafter its Delta-gliders or landers depart to explore moons - this is how I see manned exploration of the outer Solar System in a few decades ;)

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It might be a good idea to use Pioneer One as a "spacecraft carrier" for Delta-glider or a dedicated lander - the interplanetary ship enters into orbit around Jupiter (or even Saturn, because why not 🤷‍♂️), and soon thereafter its Delta-gliders or landers depart to explore moons - this is how I see manned exploration of the outer Solar System in a few decades ;)
That's exactly what I am doing! :p

I did wonder early on what to use for landings, because I definitely plan to land on the Galilean moons. My original idea was to put a port under the ship to allow the Deltaglider to dock flat to it, a bit like the port in the cargo-bay of the Arrow Freighter.

But, eventually, I came up with an idea. At the back, I intend to put six engines. So, I thought, why not remove one of the engine and the module its connected to and replace them with a landing craft?
P1_WIP2.png

While I like the idea, I realised it would be a bit of a pain to use. So, ultimately, I opted for another solution:
P1_WIP1.png

You can see the back of the ship as it will be once Pioneer One is completed (14 flights left before it's done :O). There are four cockpit modules at the front of the propulsion section. Well, they are actually placeholders. What will really be there are the pods of Pioneer One (which will serve as landing crafts). There will be four. One for each Galilean moon!

I don't know yet how the pods will look like. To be honest, I don't know how to model them. It's a bit of an endeavour I'm taking since I will need to learn how to make animation for them to deploy landing legs.

But, for now, I think they will be something like this:
P1_WIP3.png

Basically, the pod will have four landing legs and engines at the back (main) and engines on the belly (hover) (+maybe a single one at the front for retro, but shouldn't be necessary). The docking port at the back (to attach to the main craft), will also serve as a airlock to allow for some astronauts to walk on the surface of the moon (which will come from @jacquesmomo 's version of the VesselBuilder UMMUs he's working on that I want to adapt for the pods.

With that, the pod will allow the crew of Pioneer One (me) to land on the moons of Jupiter and explore them a bit! Gonna be exciting! :D

(I need to finish the main ship first, though)

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
viendra de @jacquesmomo La version des UMMU de VesselBuilder sur laquelle il travaille que je veux adapter pour les pods.

Avec ça, le pod permettra à l'équipage de Pioneer One (moi) d'atterrir sur les lunes de Jupiter et de les explorer un peu ! Ça va être excitant !:D

(Je dois d'abord terminer le vaisseau principal, cependant)
Ça commence à marcher... :D

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Made some hangars for the Quebec airport.
image.png

image.png

image.png

Piorun

Reaction score
LIM-49A Spartan (here ascending over Stanley R. Mickelsen Safeguard Complex) was an American long-range anti-ballistic missile which derived from the earlier XLIM-49 Nike Zeus B ABM, and which constituted the exo-atmospheric component of the Safeguard system. The Spartan was less fortunate than its Soviet counterparts - A-350 and 51T6, as it remained in service for only a few months of 1975, when the entire Safeguard program was canceled.

LIM-49A_(1).jpg

LIM-49A_(2).jpg

LIM-49A_(3).jpg

LIM-49A_(4).jpg

Last edited:

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
SSM-64: First flight of Space Shuttle Endurance! And, it is also the first Space Shuttle take-off from Pelee Island! First mission to start and end in Canada!
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

However, as fun as it was, the Multistage autopilot seemed to struggle a lot from launching at such a high lattitude. Released me in a 111km x 550km orbit, even if the target was 340 x 340. Still, I managed to correct it to the ISS's altitude to dock and return home.

But that really put into jeopardy Pelee as a launch site for space shuttles in the future...

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Found some Apollo 15 screenshots from a couple months ago:

Hadley-Apennine, still emerging from the shadows.
1678831080023.png

Final REV before powered descent; Falcon is flying free.
1678831160974.png

Solo Earthrise
1678831188445.png

Standing by for sunset as Falcon prepares for PDI
1678831247646.png

Tsiolkovskiy crater
1678831401163.png

Leaving. Falcon lifts off and heads for orbit after 3 days of exploration
1678831455081.png

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
And another module! Now all that's left are the two engines at the back and the length of the ship will be completed!
But only the length. There's still four modules to place on the sides to actually complete the ship, which will be launched first before the engines.

image.png

image.png

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Reminds me of my IMS lunar station... Using the XR-5 out of Brighton Beach I did 282 flights to reach Initial Operating Assembly. Based on how much was needed to complete the station, it would have taken another 1100 flights or there abouts to bring up the rest of the modules. IOA was about 1/4th of the final design.

Dantassii

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Launch of SSM-68 today.
image.png

image.png

Module installed!
image.png

Can't even see the whole thing in my windows lol
image.png

Reentry.
image.png

And landed.
image.png

With this mission over, I officially flew half the number of Space Shuttle missions NASA did from launch to landing! :D Another 67 to go before SSM-135 lmao

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I launched SSM-69 (nice) today! Mission is the same as the previous ones: send a module up there!
(Also, I have no idea what addon the gibberish at the bottom of the screen come from.)
image.png

That's a new one. I guess I messed with the multistage config file to move the exhaust of one of the shuttle's engines to align more properly (which I failed at doing so) and I guessed I accidently broke something because Multistage didn't jettison the SRBs. Thankfully, one key-press and Olympic was back on its proper course. And the config file is easy enough to fix: just put the original back in!
image.png

Space Shuttle Olympic is in orbit! :D
image.png

Module attached. Only one module left! :D (Along with six engines and four pods).
image.png

Post reentry. Couldn't see my landing site! I'm lucky I managed to align perfectly!
image.png

And landed! This is a very nice shot :)
image.png

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The daily Pioneer One update! The last module was added today! :D
image.png

image.png

image.png

Now all that are left are the engines and Pioneer One will be fully assembled! :D

(The four Gallilean landers will have to be launched as well before the ship can depart for Jupiter, though. Might bring it around for a Earth-Moon-Earth test drive though :p)