super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
After such a long time, now my next screenshot: takeoff from Venus:
picture.php

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And the DAWN spacecraft is around Vesta, planning the descent to a lower orbit, and to the departure...
picture.php

Keatah

Reaction score
Taking a more detailed look at the past. 1979-1980. If Orbiter was going to somehow magically be programmed on a .001GHz computer with 48,000 bytes of memory this is what it might have looked like!

SaturnNavigator_000000006.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000000.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000007.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000002.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000005.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000003.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000001.jpg SaturnNavigator_000000004.jpg

Remember this is on a computer not too much more powerful than the best Apollo guidance and navigation system. And general storage for this computer was on a 5.25 floppy disk that went into a drive that weighed about 4 pounds. Data storage capacity was about 143,000 bytes. That's .14 megabytes. And the operating system was about 10K bytes stored in rom. Code to operate the disk drive took some of that 48,000 bytes! The processor chomped on 8 bits at a time. Running at around 1MHz, it didn't even do a million instructions per second.

Every chip in this computer could be pulled out and replaced with off the shelf components by any ol' do-it-yourselfer. There was no such thing as custom chips in this design. There were about 120 chips, and each chip consisted of a couple hundred circuit elements mixed together to produce 10 or 20 logic gates per chip, at best!

These screenshots are from Saturn Navigator, a program for the Apple II. It was written by this guy whom also worked on the Cassini mission trajectory IIRC -- http://planetary.org/about/wesley_huntress.html

Do you appreciate Orbiter and your current hardware any better now?

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My own ship on its maiden voyage to Venus:
12_01_31_12-40-26_Lorean.jpg

It was just a glorified test of its thrusters and compatability with IMFD, but I'm still happy about it. :)

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Taking a more detailed look at the past. 1979-1980. If Orbiter was going to somehow magically be programmed on a .001GHz computer with 48,000 bytes of memory this is what it might have looked like!

View attachment 9155 View attachment 9149 View attachment 9150 View attachment 9151 View attachment 9154 View attachment 9152 View attachment 9148 View attachment 9153

Remember this is on a computer not too much more powerful than the best Apollo guidance and navigation system. And general storage for this computer was on a 5.25 floppy disk that went into a drive that weighed about 4 pounds. Data storage capacity was about 143,000 bytes. That's .14 megabytes. And the operating system was about 10K bytes stored in rom. Code to operate the disk drive took some of that 48,000 bytes! The processor chomped on 8 bits at a time. Running at around 1MHz, it didn't even do a million instructions per second.

Every chip in this computer could be pulled out and replaced with off the shelf components by any ol' do-it-yourselfer. There was no such thing as custom chips in this design. There were about 120 chips, and each chip consisted of a couple hundred circuit elements mixed together to produce 10 or 20 logic gates per chip, at best!

These screenshots are from Saturn Navigator, a program for the Apple II. It was written by this guy whom also worked on the Cassini mission trajectory IIRC -- http://planetary.org/about/wesley_huntress.html

I happen to like old computers and programs. This reminds me of Microsoft Flight Simulator 1. There are plenty of places to see pictures of that:

Here is a link to info on the Apple II version, which most relates to that.

This makes me think how cool a "demake" of Orbiter would be.
For those who don't know, a "demake" is when someone ports a game to a system older than the game's system, with reduced/redone graphics, like Halo 2600 (which is real and you can download it).
It could have a little vector graphics space shuttle that launches to a little vector ISS, and a vector Delta Glider. And a version of the probe:hailprobe: as well. That being said, a demake of Orbiter would be better on a system newer from the Apple II, since it's so open; it's not limited to only one kind of trajectory.
I don't want to go too off topic, though.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Halley Mission - my favourite game on c-64

hm01.jpg

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'll never get tired of this view; eyecandy still has it's appeal !

launchg.jpg

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The result of my first attempt at flying the shuttle manually:

ss20120131215519.png

(I'm in Greenland I think)

Vast fury

Reaction score
We choose to run Orbiter sims, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Damn right mate...... Nothing is as challenging as the difficultness of difficulty..

Cuz once difficult things are achieved, you will have that sudden burst of joy :banana: raging inside your veins..

A joy forged deep from the hardships.....

A joy, that's totally priceless....

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Hopefully all orbinauts do.... Its something we ordinary people have been blessed with.. Giving us a chance to fly to places we can never ever reach personally.... Though virtual, but what's important is that we the best experience....

---------- Post added at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

The result of my first attempt at flying the shuttle manually

More worse here , I always land with a hellish THUD!!:bailout:

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
titan.jpg

Apollo CM descending to Titan. There is now no doubt in my mind that a large mass can be landed on Titan using parachutes alone - the descent velocity here was only 1 m/s

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's one of the coolest shots I've seen in a while, Nova. Any chance of getting a landscape version? Would love to have that as my desktop wallpaper.

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's one of the coolest shots I've seen in a while, Nova. Any chance of getting a landscape version? Would love to have that as my desktop wallpaper.

It originally was landscape, but since I was coming down over the equator, I had to turn the camera weird to get Saturn in frame. I'll try again later and see if I can get a wallpaper-worthy shot.

Tacolev

Reaction score
UDSK-1 (Unnamed Deep Space Kitbash 1) in LEO before spiral out.

I thought that the solar panels included in Greg Burch's space station modules looked more like high-temperature radiators than anything else and ran from there. Everything is based around how much heat I could dissipate with that much radiator and the VASIMR is run at appropriate values for a reactor that size (60N thrust at 250K m/s ISP in "High Gear", 120N at 125K m/s "med gear", 600N at 25K m/s "Low Gear").

Last edited: