Orbiter on Vista

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a 64 bit processor and I'm running XP Home. I've also got the physical ability to install up to 8 GB of RAM and I've got my eye on a fancy 1GB Graphics card. XP is holding me back from exploiting it all. So I've been thinking about upgrading to Vista Ultimate.

I've weighed a lot of pros and cons and plan to dual boot XP Home and Vista Ultimate, but I want to know if anyone else out there has run Orbiter on Vista? How well does it work? How well do addons work?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Works ca 50-60% faster on my post-upgrade work PC. That could be because I deleted a load of junk from the hard disk at the same time though.
As long as you have a modern system I don't think Vista will ever manage to slow Orbiter down though, can't remember anyone complaining of such anyway.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I run Vista on 2 PC's, and have never had any probems with Orbiter on either. Orbiter doesn't require any Windows components - you dont need to install it, all the files it needs are contained in the Orbiter base folder, so it shouldent be affected by different versions of Windows:)

-Orbinaut Pete

Lunchbox

Reaction score
I have a problem with Vista and orbiter. Some of my ships, when in external view, only show movable control surfaces (i.e. i see a space shuttle with only doors and gear)
but on others it is just fine. Any tips on how to fix this will be appreciated. with all my ram and videocard stuff, load times are quicker and everything looks great

dkluempers

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.kluempers.org
I have not had any major issues other than the fact that I have to install oriter in my user directory. It will still work if you put in the program files directory but quicksaves and scenario saves are put into hidden directories. I am not a guru but my guess is that is related to UAC somehow. Other than that it runs just fine and the graphics are fine as well. My system is Vista 64 Ultimate, GA-790X-DS4, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ with 4 GB Memory. The video card is a Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 with 512MB. My only gripe is that that they came out with a better video card a couple of weeks after I got mine for roughly the same price :) You should be able to get pretty darned good card with 1GB on for a good price now.

I had some video issues initially like parts of the ship displaying and being able to see through planets and moons. I read somewhere on the forums about the checking the ennumerate device in the video options and that cleared those up. Not sure if it will help out Lunchbox.