• Poll closed .

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
WHO DID IT????
:facepalm:
Someone has ruined the server. Blowed up everything and placed pig spawner everywhere:(

Who? Who did it?

Server will start again. :(

EDIT: I'm 90% sure it was Pablo49 or Woo482.
Server's fixed. It doesn't restart now.
This is why you don't give admin privs to everyone...

Pablo49

Reaction score
In addition to knowing you need to learn how to manage a server, have you made any progress on making the server playable? No fun when 10 minutes of work vanishes every hour because you insist on hard killing the server process.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Two reasons I answered 'no' to this post:

1. The server is not stable. There have been many complaints on IRC about the server suddenly going down. Your own graphic in the first post here shows a 55% uptime. That's dreadful - Have you thought about proper hosting for it?

2. You seem to be getting upset about people having fun. Thats what people do and if they want to live in the minecraft version of scorched earth then let them.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
A real server thats externally hosted in a data centre?

Do NOT give people the SSH logon for it - thats just..... well, insanely insecure. Only give a selected few admin rights as well.

luki1997a

Reaction score
79.133.200.45:2603
you can play here(i think)

Please, excuse me, I'm very worried about the server. Current hosting has introduced payment, so... but it's still running. If I close it, I won't be able to relaunch it.

I've found another free hosting, this time without theese restrictions and server force close. I'm waiting for activation email.

So worried:( but :hailprobe:

P.S. I've fixed evey problem with server today, but you ruined it I'm so worried:cry:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
most hosting places will introducing payment at one time or another, after all, servers cost - OS, power, disk space, etc. You'd be better off getting a real host if you are serious about hosting a minecraft session.

luki1997a

Reaction score
I've found a free hosting, where Minecraft server is blocked, but you can e-mail owner to unlock it. I've mailed him, and I told him there will be ~8 persons playing, and they will click an ad everyday.

Waiting for response:cry:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
If there's a way to increase my upload speed without shelling out mega£ then can someone tell me, 'cause I think my dad has some old server machines round the back. And luki, I've learnt this the had way: free stuff is generally crap.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The golden rule of free stuff: You get what you pay for. If you're serious about running servers, you'll have to shell out for either rental of someone else's space, rental of a whole server for dedicated hardware, or set up your own and hope your connection is good enough (or shell out for a better one).

Either way, good servers cost money.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I can support what Xyon said, I used to have a server running for a few of my friends off my PC and it ran terribly. Then I found a server hosting business that hosted a server for me for $5 a month, the server ran great and I had access to all the server files, but the custom service was horrible, they did nothing to help me fix the server when something finally went wrong. Not exactly surprising that they went out of business a week later.