General Question Orbiter for sale on e-bay?

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I agree about not trolling the video, but there are similarities between the video and the ad:

• The video is part of the video channel "broseinternational". The profile mentions name "Ambrose" and country "United Kingdom".
  • The ebay ad mentions a price in GBP and a .co.uk e-mail addres, so it gives the impression of being located in the UK
  • The ebay ad shows the following contact information:
    Gee Investment
    Ambrose ElenduUL Polna
    8M 18
    07100 Węgrów, mazowieckie
    Poland
Note that the ad claims that all included software is (L)GPL, which is clearly not the case if Orbiter is included.

Additionally, I found this image of the guy. Now before you start shooting when you see him, please remember that there is no evidence that the guy in the picture really has anything to do with this.

I don't know how to decode Polish addresses. The only thing I found on "07100 Węgrów, mazowieckie" (besides other software) was a campsite.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
cjp said:
I don't know how to decode Polish addresses. The only thing I found on "07100 Węgrów, mazowieckie" (besides other software) was a campsite.
It's here (the address is Polna street 8, flat 18).

I hate people like that, trying to sell free software.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Apparently the item is now unavailable. But just earlier, I was reading reviews of the seller and some person said something like that the seller is actually Polish. And then the seller confirmed it but said they have an office in the UK or something like that. (maybe I got it reversed) So, I don't know what to think about where this guy is.
In any case, it's not too important or useful to know.

Cerebus

Lurking
Donator
Reaction score
Had a look at their other software titles, and they are also selling OOLITE, and Danger from the deep, making no attempt to hide the title either.
Ok so it's obviously questionable, but I'm betting they'd get away with it using section 4 and 6 of the GPL, which allows you to charge 'Any or no price for each copy you convey', and as long as the licences are included with the CD/DVD it's 'legal'.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Had a look at their other software titles, and they are also selling OOLITE, and Danger from the deep, making no attempt to hide the title either.
Ok so it's obviously questionable, but I'm betting they'd get away with it using section 4 and 6 of the GPL, which allows you to charge 'Any or no price for each copy you convey', and as long as the licences are included with the CD/DVD it's 'legal'.

Well I happen to play one of the games which he was ripping off (and it is most definitely not GPL!), and the producers of that game are now aware of him selling this. I also checked his previous items, they include much of the same stuff.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I believe that somewhere in the Orbiter license thingy (very proffesional way of putting that) it says something about the fact that Orbiter is free software and that you can't sell it. Am I right?

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I hate people like that, trying to sell free software.

Sometimes people dont want to wait to download a program becuase they are lazy or have slow internet access. Whatever the reason, they might what to buy the CD.

Like Ebay people trying to sell ubuntu

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=ubuntu&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Difference is, they are not trying to pass it off as their own software, just a copy of a software that was pre-burned onto a CD.

In the case of burning a CD and charging for CD/shipping, I can see that, but I dont like it when they try to pass it off as their own.

Ban him :tiphat:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I believe that somewhere in the Orbiter license thingy (very proffesional way of putting that) it says something about the fact that Orbiter is free software and that you can't sell it. Am I right?

You can't sell it. And if you call it "free software" depends on whether you're using "free" to say that it is not sold for cost, or you're using it to say that it has a certain type of license. It is free software as in "no cost", but not as in "free license". (Generally "Freeware" is used for no cost, and "Free software" is used for "free license").

bwog

Reaction score
Maybe we should ask the sell these questions?

Where can you find add-ons for the program?
Where else can you buy the program?

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
Bj said:
Difference is, they are not trying to pass it off as their own software, just a copy of a software that was pre-burned onto a CD.

In the case of burning a CD and charging for CD/shipping, I can see that, but I dont like it when they try to pass it off as their own.
True, I agree.

supersonic said:
Looks like someone else is trying to sell Celestia.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EXPLORE-UNIVERSE...item2306ba5dbc
Wow, this one goes even further:
E-Bay seller said:
Copyright
This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of this CD-ROM is prohibited.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the one on the left and down one in the description look like Orbiter?
None of them is from Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The individual software installer and screenshots are released under the GNU GPL. The license is available on the CD-ROM. All other images, items, box image, CD-ROM menus and designs contain our protected IP.

Doubtful that it is really according to the GPL, since the name is not said, but making distributions is permitted.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

Last edited:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
These are all derived from Celestia, and I believe Celestia's license allows for modification of the source code and redistribution, even for a price.

Jake

Deorbinaut
Reaction score
Am I the first one to notice that "Amazing Space Simulator"s initials spell "ASS" when shorted?

Anyway, in the youtube vid posted on the channel the "Orbiter 2006 preview vid" titles are not even erased properly at the start. It's like he went through little to no effort to hide it.

Maybe we're getting trolled here :hmm:

Urgentemente

Reaction score
Orbiter 2009 edition (?!??!) on ebay

Just came across this on ebay, can't see any mention so far of the price being to cover the cost of the CD/DVD.
Really annoys me when people try to profit from other hard work (Martin's and all the people that work on add-ons in this case).

Tho I haven't spent a great deal of time in Orbiter recently (which I'm starting to rectify), when I first found it I couldn't believe such a quality program was free, it's the kind of thing I would have loved to have been available when I was kid (mad on space from an early age), so to see someone trying to make a profit from it makes me :mad:

O-F Staff Note: Threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Looking at his other items, I'd say Orbiter isn't the only thing he's re-selling. Probe will be displeased.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

In other news, the item has been reported to Ebay. The more reports the better, so click the button!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ebay will be forced to remove it as soon as Martin contacts them.