Orbiter 2016 under Wine

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
No idea if it’s related as I run Win10, never did Wine, but the ‘can’t switch ships’ thing caught my eye. I had that issue for a while, change ship, got CTD in D3D9. I could quit D9, reopen the scenario in D7, switch ships, then switch back to D9, with no problem. At the suggestion of one of the fellas here (don’t know why I didn’t think of it), in D9, I turned off all the add-on modules except sound and D9. I could switch ships, so one of them was the culprit. Turning on one at a time, I found it was SuborbMFD, so now I leave it off unless I need it, then don’t switch ships. Shot in the dark, but, maybe something will help.

JDat

Reaction score
Any error logs when you run wine from console? By running wine /path/to/orbiter_ng.exe I solved many VC runtime library/dependecy problems for addons.

turtle91

Reaction score
Any error logs when you run wine from console? By running wine /path/to/orbiter_ng.exe I solved many VC runtime library/dependecy problems for addons.
Thanks, for a more indeep view of the problem, I will check the console-output.
I am using POL, I like the feature to hotswap so many different WINE versions, so I need to check how to run this env without the POL GUI.

For the moment, I have a more or less stable setup in WINE 5.8.
A "winetricks -f d9vk" solved a lot of the prevoius SCN-load-crash issues. (-f to force a reinstall)

Within the next days I will:

-create a backup of the current working WINE 5.8 env/prefix...just in case...
-retry WINE 5.11 or WINE 5.10 running with more debug-output
-more testing like, MFD-disabled....D3D7-client etc...
-will post here the results.

No idea if it’s related as I run Win10, never did Wine, but the ‘can’t switch ships’ thing caught my eye. I had that issue for a while,......
Many thanks for this info. At least somebody has seen this before, even in a pure Windows environment. :oops:
So, again...I will do some more testing with MFD's/modules disable/enable testing.

mxk

Reaction score
For these who has a problem with switch between ships when open dialog window from F3 button the solution is as write manual the name of the ship into input field from the list in this dialog window then apply button from not active (gray) will became to active.

turtle91

Reaction score
I tried to disable all modules except the D3D9-cient.
Even with such "empty" config, the F3-click+switch didn't work.

...write manual the name of the ship into input field....
That's seems to be a nice workaround, I didn't thought on that....good catch (y)
Yes, this works. As soon as I wrote a valid ship-name into the F3-input-box, the previously greyed-out "select" function becomes active and can be clicked.
So at least I can use the "previous"-button afterwards (to click between new vessel and previous vessel).

So for now, I will be testing WINE 6.11 a bit more.
It seems to be much more stable, when it comes to initial SCN-load.

yitianetie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have tested Orbiter_ng on Wine 64 6.0.1 (on Debian 11 Bullseye) and it runs almost fine. I just notice some things :
  • The help menu does not display anything except a windows without text.
  • For some modules like RemoteControl, Framerate... : the windows can freeze when you try to close it. The workaround is to press CTRL+F4 and you can move and close the windows.
  • No real performance issues with D3D9 client except : while enabling antialiasing, I get black and green boxes that suddenly and randomely appear and disappear in the landscape when the vessel move. This issue does not appear if I disable the antialiasing.

Would you have an idea to fix the issue with antialiasing ?

I have attached my orbiter_d3d9.log

Attachments

• orbiter_d3d9.log.txt
    18.2 KB · Views: 2

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
My help menu hasn't done anything for me in Windows either, so, it may not be a Linux issue.

hughesjs

Reaction score
Thanks again.

Sadly that didn't help - still getting the same problem. Any other ideas?

I can run orbiter.exe with built-in graphics client OK (with a few weird artefacts on the ground textures) so can at least get my orbiter fix that way, but it makes my machine run hot. My nuclear option is to downgrade to Fedora 31 and then install wine 4.x from the WineHQ repo, which was working great previously.
Have you tried running it with Proton rather than vanilla Wine?

yitianetie

Reaction score
I have found a workaround for the antialiasing issue : enable lens flare instead of light glow. Why it does work with lens flare and not with light glow ? I don't know. Anyways, I prefer lens flare : the immersion is much better.

About performances with D3D9 and my Nvidia GTX 950M, I notice that I have, while in movement (e.g launching from Cap Canaveral), severe stuttering in some 2d panels, like on the XR2 Ravenstar (whatever vsync is enabled or disabled). Of course, those stuttering does not occur with Windows. But I will never come back to Windows ! I really hope to see a native implementation of Orbiter in Linux, in the future...

Last edited:

mxk

Reaction score
I have found a workaround for the antialiasing issue : enable lens flare instead of light glow. Why it does work with lens flare and not with light glow ? I don't know. Anyways, I prefer lens flare : the immersion is much better.

About performances with D3D9 and my Nvidia GTX 950M, I notice that I have, while in movement (e.g launching from Cap Canaveral), severe stuttering in some 2d panels, like on the XR2 Ravenstar (whatever vsync is enabled or disabled). Of course, those stuttering does not occur with Windows. But I will never come back to Windows ! I really hope to see a native implementation of Orbiter in Linux, in the future...

From your log which you post here i noticed that you using DXVK version: d9vk-0.40.1-croakacola-zero which is different from official web site https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk so maybe if you update your DXVK component until latest version some problem will be fixed.

yitianetie

Reaction score
Updating the version of DXVK does not change anything. The lagging occurs particulary on complex 2d cockpits like on XR vessels. The 3d cockpit is amazinly fluid (normal, no interactive computer on the ravenstar for example). Maybe I can try with the latest nvidia driver (v. 470).
Otherwise, I will wait for a port on Linux Platform. I am not enough skilled in programming, though I will try to help development for linux version. But just don't talk me about windows 10, I am fed up with it ?

yitianetie

Reaction score
Finally, the dual boot with Debian and Windows 10 works finally fine (not without pain as windows 10 does not like GRUB). I can use Orbiter in the windows partition, awaiting its port to Linux. Can't wait to test the x64 version :LOL: