Problem Orbiter 2016 DGS issues?

stealthstar

Reaction score
I recently picked up Orbiter 2016 after taking a long break since I used to play Orbiter 2010. I really enjoy allot of the updates they made to the game particularly the enhanced graphics & the new virtual cockpit for the Delta Glider is pretty cool & allot more useful & interactive but the new Delta Glider has been plagued with issues lately particularly with vertical takeoff & sometimes control lag when in space even in some basic scenarios included in Orbiter.

I also noticed strange issues like in the DGS at Habana Spaceport the DGS is parked on mountainous terrain instead of on a runway like it originally was on startup making for a pretty awkward & dangerously feeling horizontal takeoff. Also half the DGS scenarios don't seem to have any Scram engine controls. Anyone have an idea on how to fix these issues or a patch to fix them? I'm supersized the developers didn't catch these problems before the update in testing.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
[...] but the new Delta Glider has been plagued with issues lately particularly with vertical takeoff & sometimes control lag when in space even in some basic scenarios included in Orbiter.
Any more detail on what problems you are experiencing here?

Also half the DGS scenarios don't seem to have any Scram engine controls.
Are you sure you are actually sitting inside a DGS? A DGS without scram controls is usually a DG. Can you point to a specific scenario?

Anyone have an idea on how to fix these issues or a patch to fix them? I'm supersized the developers didn't catch these problems before the update in testing.
Sorry for supersizing you. This definitely wasn't my intention.

stealthstar

Reaction score
I guess it was just the DG that didn't have scram controls. They both really should though as it really saves fuel reaching orbit. I'm considering abandoning the DG & DGS altogether & switch to the XR2 which looks like a far more superior upgrade to the DG. Hopefully they made the XR2 virtual cockpit more interactive for 2016 like how they did with DG & DGS. The XR2 virtual cockpit was pretty much just useless eye candy. Still wish they fixed allot of the DG & DGS scenarios in the 2016 update.

---------- Post added 06-28-19 at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-27-19 at 08:03 PM ----------

Also the issues I've been experiencing with the DG & DGS are vertical takeoff doesn't seem to have enough thrust to lift it up. Not even in the takeoff from Venus scenario where gravity is supposed to be less than it is on earth.

The control lag seems to happen shortly after I reach orbit. The RCS system seem to severely reduce full capable thrust to the point it feels like flying in molasses. Never experienced these kinds of of issues in 2010 but they seem to be very present in 2016. Could these issues have been caused by a bad config file or just bad programming with 2016 that is beyond what I can fix on my end?

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Also the issues I've been experiencing with the DG & DGS are vertical takeoff doesn't seem to have enough thrust to lift it up. Not even in the takeoff from Venus scenario where gravity is supposed to be less than it is on earth.

The problem on Venus is the atmosphere, which has a pressure so high that rocket engines don't work. :shrug:
On Earth, a DG can takeoff vertically if it is light enough, so you can't have full tanks.

stealthstar

Reaction score
The problem on Venus is the atmosphere, which has a pressure so high that rocket engines don't work. :shrug:
On Earth, a DG can takeoff vertically if it is light enough, so you can't have full tanks.

So I suppose the DG/DGS VTOL thrusters are only good enough for takeoffs from the moon or similar celestial bodies. Is there any way to tweak the VTOL thrusters so it can lift off from earth & Venus? Kinda ruins some of the included DG/DGS scenarios where its supposed to take off from a VTOL pad like on earth at Cape Canaveral.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well the whole point of the DG is that it can takeoff like a plane from a runway, and virtually from any international airport on Earth.

Back in the days I worked on addons allowing it to launch strapped to an external tank and boosters, much like the Space Shuttle. Others have further refined the concept.

So yeah, the VTOL thrusters are mostly intended for smaller bodies that have no atmosphere, typically the Moon. I won't dig up the old Airbace joke but I'm tempted. The way I see things, Martins wanted to provide users a swiss-knife spacecraft that can operate on its own, without a lander or a booster. Which is also very convenient to showcase the simulator features.

The DG code is provided with the simulator, so you are pretty free to recompile it and tweak what you want, provided you credit the original author if you share your mod. In that case, there's only a single value to tweak. The challenging part is to set up Visual Studio correctly. :coffee:

stealthstar

Reaction score
N_Molson; Interesting. I've thought about designing a stage adapter for DG/DGS so it can launch in a similar way on a modern liquid fueled booster like a Falcon or Atlas booster so it can be launched like the SNC Dream Chaser lifting body shuttle.

Last edited: