General Question Orbiter 2016 crashes on startup

Dreamer

Reaction score
Just downloaded and installed, all I get is orbiter.exe stopped working If i try to launch views for example all I get is the Black (forgot the name) screen. Was i supposed to download more addons? I just downloaded the MSI orbiter 2016
I would love to try this if possible. I am running win 7 AMD Radeon 7450

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well of course there is more. But that should get you started. Are you running standard graphics or d3d9? I would post the orbiter.log

Dreamer

Reaction score
**** Orbiter.log
000000.000: Build Aug 28 2016 [v.160828]
000000.000: Timer precision: 2.93295e-007 sec
000000.000: Found 0 joystick(s)
000000.000: Module AtlantisConfig.dll .... [Build 160828, API 160828]
000000.000: Module AtmConfig.dll ......... [Build 160828, API 160828]
000000.000: Module DGConfigurator.dll .... [Build 160828, API 160828]

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Your message was almost as vague as I've ever seen. If you have a question or a problem we will need a lot more information.

That being said, I've never used the msi installer, I always choose the .zip files. That way I always have a baseline version that I can go to when I screw up my copy.

Dreamer

Reaction score
That's what my log said nothing more. I will look at it again, since I don't see anyone else with my problem I am guessing it installed incorrectly. I will re-install or try the zip files, I will let you guys know what happens.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is an orbiter (application) and orbiter_ng to choose from. The "standard" orbiter.exe looks and works great while the ng requires an external graphics client (and well worth the download but isn't required).

Dreamer

Reaction score
Yes, I installed the msi version. Here is what I am getting now I launch Orbiter and I get in the small window "Orbiter NG (no graphics)
running in server mode. When I launch some other scenarios I get "Orbiter has stopped working" Hope that helps .

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you run Orbiter-ng, you also need an external graphics client. Here is the development thread http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431

Somewhere in there is a link to the current build, but am at work atm and can't sift through it.

If you are running the standard in-line graphics (not orbiter-ng) you should be good to go. Are you by any chance using a laptop?

Dreamer

Reaction score
no laptop, When I first had trouble i reinstalled, still had problems so then I downloaded and added the Hi-Res textures, still problems. I thought for sure those hi-res textures would fix problems. I might try the zipped instead of msi version.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you running Full screen or Window? I found my would run in Window only versus full screen

Dreamer

Reaction score
Success!!!!!!!!! Here is what happened I installed the msi version which put a icon on my desktop. I tried to run from that desktop icon which is blue. I never checked the folder, so I downloaded the zip went into that orbiter 2016 folder to delete files so I could install the zip files, that is when I saw the red delta glider icon which is also an application. I tried it and it worked. :lol:

I just have to install sound. I only ran it for a few minutes, all I can say the graphics look beautiful.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Success!!!!!!!!! Here is what happened I installed the msi version which put a icon on my desktop. I tried to run from that desktop icon which is blue. I never checked the folder, so I downloaded the zip went into that orbiter 2016 folder to delete files so I could install the zip files, that is when I saw the red delta glider icon which is also an application. I tried it and it worked. :lol:

I just have to install sound. I only ran it for a few minutes, all I can say the graphics look beautiful.
The red icon is for the normal orbiter.exe which uses the very old DirectX 7 API which on modern computers lead to very poor frame rates. The blue icon is for the "server" version which doesn't have a graphics client built in but one can be added. The only one available is D3D9Client which uses the more up to date DirectX 9 API which takes advantage of the various features that modern graphics cards provide which leads to higher frame rates.

Dreamer

Reaction score
Since I already have this thread hopefully I can ask this question here. I installed sound but don't have any sound in the game. Orbiter sound 4.0 is installed in the correct folder and it seems to be setup properly. When i try test it works, is there anything i need to do to make sound work?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Enable its module in the...ehm...Modules tab!

Since I already have this thread hopefully I can ask this question here...
Generally it's good practice to open a new thread for each new issue you might have.
It helps in having a cleaner forum, and helps others in finding solutions.
But this issue was a very basic one.

If you keep on having sound problems, please open your sound-dedicated thread.

:cheers:

Last edited:

RobW

Reaction score
I have an NVIDIA 1080Ti card and Orbiter2016 seems to enumerate it twice, the default selected card in the Video menu was the second instance. When I select the first instance Orbiter2016 works, with the second instance selected it fails to render any graphics and hangs on startup.