www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I was looking for that, but forgot what it was called. Thanks Artlav. :cheers:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wish I had found this a long time ago. Fantastic! :)

I still think the hover engine controls would do well in Orbiter's core. Though perhaps the Ctrl function could be reversed (hover control would stay the same, but Ctrl+0 would set them to full and Ctrl+. would shut them off.)

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I'd like collision detection supported by the core.
The simplest way to do this seems to be using a current engine such as Havok.

Darren

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hal9001 makes a good point. This thread is rapidly becoming a clone of the other, and a "wishlist" of sorts.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If only there was one gigantic "wishlist" thread where everybody could look before suggesting something in the Feedback forum or somewhere else...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If only there was one gigantic "wishlist" thread where everybody could look before suggesting something in the Feedback forum or somewhere else...
I recall that there was one, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe it was renamed...? Or maybe that was the thread HAL posted. :huh:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd like relativity, which could probably be fairly easy to code (I don't know, I'm not a C++ coder).

1. Mass of vessel increases with speed.
2. Relative speed of time increases with vessel's speed (when you're focused on it).
3. All vessels' and their systems' perception of time are affected by their speed.
4. How YOU perceive time is determined by the velocity of the object you're focused on.
5. (This could be tricky) Planets' and moons' masses and rotation periods are affected by relativity.

Although considering the differences would be hardly noticeable in any real spacecraft, it's probably not worth it.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Before putting relativity in, finite speed of light should be considered (Earth as seen from Neptune is not where it is now geometrically, but where it was some time ago).

All this would require linking to SPICE. Gotta love this toolkit.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But once all (or almost all) the aspects of relativity were added to Orbiter it would definitely make things more interesting. Especially at high velocities.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

If people would only READ a wishlist thread before posting to it, it would already help a lot...

Before putting relativity in, finite speed of light should be considered (Earth as seen from Neptune is not where it is now geometrically, but where it was some time ago).

The Idea is quite interesting. I think it could already be done in a graphics client, the only thing you'd have to do is not using the standard position for the graphics engine, but recalculate the node position instead. Every frame. Might get a bit resource hungry for the benefit...

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If people would only READ a wishlist thread before posting to it, it would already help a lot...

The Idea is quite interesting. I think it could already be done in a graphics client, the only thing you'd have to do is not using the standard position for the graphics engine, but recalculate the node position instead. Every frame. Might get a bit resource hungry for the benefit...
Perhaps defining where the visual positions are for each planet on the "celestial sphere" and updating that position after a specified time frame.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Further LUA improvements. Because for now, I don't know if I must spend time improving my C++, or rather spend that time learning LUA (which seems to be the future of Orbiter : being able to code without Microsoft VS(r) would make Orbiter even more "independant").

But for now, LUA doesn't replicate every Orbiter's library C++ functions, so I'm a little confused with that. Then I just play Orbiter. And it's fun ! :lol:

Keatah

Reaction score
:probe:interestellar travel and collition detection :titanis:

Definitely those two, and integrate Orulex or Orulex-like rendering.

We also need to start to somehow improve the backward compatibility to help maintain add-on compatibility. This is a problem across the entire industry, not just orbiter specific.

There are too many (most-excellent) add-ons that will not be supported forever. And orbiter is 10 years old now too. Authors move on, get busy, pass away, etc.. etc..

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
scenario loading without orbiter exit
dynamic textures for parts of planets....esp Jupiter to show the changing clouds at the great red spot for example
thicker haze in gas giants and removing the land able hard surface
allowing planets to be created or removed without orbiter exit
addon installer & more importantly an uninstaller - should keep track of dependencies etc
start distributing a library of autopilots with the core that helps in common tasks like base landing, getting to orbit etc just to have some automation out of the box without having to install addons

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I want only a callback function to program the mapping from control inputs to RCS thrusters and control surfaces myself.

hey... as a matter of fact, i think i could perhaps deliver something like this.... not as a built-in feature (that's only Martin) but as an OrbiterSound-like SDK thing...

my FlightControls module completely overrides the way axes and buttons are bound to RCS jets and control surfaces - i figure if i could have a couple of functions exported from there,we'd have a very suitable way to tap into the control axes directly... (and you'd get multi-joystick support)

if it interests you, then let us continue on this idea in the FlightControls Thread

just let me know what sort of mapping features you need and we can get this going :thumbup:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Personally I think it would be really cool to have DMM support, that would make failing at reentry more realistic and with more visual payoff. :cool:

Darren