Orbiter 2010 in Linux

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
hmm, run winecfg, check if the vertex shader support is on hardware. if that doesn't work, disable any eye-candy you have running on Ubuntu or whatever distro you run (sorry, I'm opposed to Ubuntu, hate the damn thing...).

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Turns out the framerate issue was the execute bit. It will run without it set since as far as Linux is concerned an *.exe is just a data file that is used by an application (Wine), but somehow or other the execute bit is affecting the framerate.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
now, that IS odd.

also, I have confirmed that UVGCO does NOT work in wine, I'm fixing that as we speak.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Hang on a minute, have you gotten wine to run orbiter in Linux glitch free? And with or without addons (such as OrbiterSound and the XR vessels)? I would try it myself, but I'm not at home right now, and I'm too curious to wait.

If so... congratulations :thumbup:!

Morat

Reaction score
Very Slow & Dark

I have followed these instructions on Ubuntu 10.04 and it works except...

1. It is incredibly slow - framerates of around 2 seconds per frame, hit a key and wait a couple of seconds for the action.
  2. Everything is very dark. It looks like lots of the graphic elements are not being displayed.
This is is running on a Dell D610 laptop with 2 gig of memory. Admittedly it is running Compiz and AWN with all the eye candy and the CPU is around 50% before even firing up Orbiter. This is a 'works' laptop so I boot into linux from a USB hard drive for non-work purposes. Could that be the issue?

When I do run Orbiter, I get the following before the launchpad comes up:
Code:
alistair@alistair-laptop:~/.wine/drive_c/Orbiter$ wine orbiter
fixme:ddraw:DirectDrawEnumerateExA flags 0x00000007 not handled
fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 3 and card vendor 8086.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xaef04c,0x00000000), stub!
then I get screens upon screens of warnings when I run a scenario. I have attached this output as runlog.zip.

Is this a driver issue? Is my laptop just not up to the task? Am I killing it by using an overblown distro and to much eye candy?

This is without OGLA. I tried installing OGLA but am not sure I did it right. Would this help? How do you run the OGLA client? Having run Orbiter_ng, that give a no-graphics server, presumably there is a client that actually runs the display? Also, OGLA appears to be a 'module' but did not appear in the Modules list in the Launchpad. Should it? Having got nowhere with OGLA I trashed the Orbiter directory and re-installed Orbiter without OGLA.

I have to admit here that my Linux knowledge is not great though I can get around in it. I prefer to use it if I can.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated, I'd love to get this running in Linux if I can.

--- Morat

Attachments

• runlog.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 2

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
Hang on a minute, have you gotten wine to run orbiter in Linux glitch free? And with or without addons (such as OrbiterSound and the XR vessels)? I would try it myself, but I'm not at home right now, and I'm too curious to wait.

If so... congratulations :thumbup:!

well, almost glitch free. there are still a few things that it doesn't like (the new sketchpad interface doesn't work for me). most addons seem to work, orbiter sound runs without a hitch.

i would call this a HUGE SUCCESS (portal fans, don't kill me).

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I have followed these instructions on Ubuntu 10.04 and it works except...

1. It is incredibly slow - framerates of around 2 seconds per frame, hit a key and wait a couple of seconds for the action.
  2. Everything is very dark. It looks like lots of the graphic elements are not being displayed.
This is is running on a Dell D610 laptop with 2 gig of memory. Admittedly it is running Compiz and AWN with all the eye candy and the CPU is around 50% before even firing up Orbiter. This is a 'works' laptop so I boot into linux from a USB hard drive for non-work purposes. Could that be the issue?

When I do run Orbiter, I get the following before the launchpad comes up:
Code:
alistair@alistair-laptop:~/.wine/drive_c/Orbiter$ wine orbiter
fixme:ddraw:DirectDrawEnumerateExA flags 0x00000007 not handled
fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 3 and card vendor 8086.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xaef04c,0x00000000), stub!
then I get screens upon screens of warnings when I run a scenario. I have attached this output as runlog.zip.

Is this a driver issue? Is my laptop just not up to the task? Am I killing it by using an overblown distro and to much eye candy?

This is without OGLA. I tried installing OGLA but am not sure I did it right. Would this help? How do you run the OGLA client? Having run Orbiter_ng, that give a no-graphics server, presumably there is a client that actually runs the display? Also, OGLA appears to be a 'module' but did not appear in the Modules list in the Launchpad. Should it? Having got nowhere with OGLA I trashed the Orbiter directory and re-installed Orbiter without OGLA.

I have to admit here that my Linux knowledge is not great though I can get around in it. I prefer to use it if I can.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated, I'd love to get this running in Linux if I can.

--- Morat

A. it looks like you're trying to run orbiter without the OGLA client. it is HIGHLY reccomended that you run Orbiter_ng.exe with the latest OGLA. that should bump up the framerate a bit. if you have trouble installing it, i don't know what to tell you, you need to talk to Artlav about that. i don't have a clue as to how to fix it when that happens.

B. Disable any eye candy you have running (INCLUDING COMPIZ), failing to do this can and WILL kill framerates.

C. run winecfg, check if you have hardware vertex support turned ON. this should enable hardware acceleration and fix most 3d problems.

D. if all else fails, turn on virtual desktop in winecfg. it might cure some problems, yet again, it might not.

Am I killing it by using an overblown distro and to much eye candy?

E. umm, yes. I run Arch, witch I do NOT recommend for a beginner (1. it's diffucult to work with, lots of mucking about in .cfg files. 2. I don't think it can be installed to a flash drive.) I recommend that you downgrade to something in-between, like Debian (ubuntu was based off of Debian, not much change there).

Is this a driver issue? Is my laptop just not up to the task?

F. no and yes. the drivers should be up-to-date at all times, so no need to worry there (CURSE YOU UBUNTU UPDATE!), running anything graphics or CPU heavy is always not a good idea, ESPECIALLY on a DELL.

Last edited:

Morat

Reaction score
A. it looks like you're trying to run orbiter without the OGLA client. it is HIGHLY reccomended that you run Orbiter_ng.exe with the latest OGLA. that should bump up the framerate a bit. if you have trouble installing it, i don't know what to tell you, you need to talk to Artlav about that. i don't have a clue as to how to fix it when that happens.

Tried installing it again. Crashes as soon as I try to run a scenario. Hmm, actually, it seems to run the OGLA-Atlantis-Launch scenario ok but I just get a DOS box saying
Code:
Module Oberon.dll ............ [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Neptune.dll ........... [Build 100215, API 100212]
Finished initialising world
Module Atlantis.dll .......... [Build 100606, API 100606]
Module ShuttleA.dll .......... [Build 100606, API 100606]
Finished initialising status
Finished initialising camera
Finished setting up render state
-----------------
Orbiter NG (no graphics)
Running in server mode (no graphics client attached).
Type "help" for a list of commands.
>
and I don't know how to attach a graphics client. Should the OGLA client start automagically?

B. Disable any eye candy you have running (INCLUDING COMPIZ), failing to do this can and WILL kill framerates.

Done that. Seems much improved without OGLA. Got around 8fps now. Just about playable.

C. run winecfg, check if you have hardware vertex support turned ON. this should enable hardware acceleration and fix most 3d problems.

Yes it was already on.

D. if all else fails, turn on virtual desktop in winecfg. it might cure some problems, yet again, it might not.

This also seemed to contribute to the improved frame rate.

E. umm, yes. I run Arch, witch I do NOT recommend for a beginner (1. it's diffucult to work with, lots of mucking about in .cfg files. 2. I don't think it can be installed to a flash drive.) I recommend that you downgrade to something in-between, like Debian (ubuntu was based off of Debian, not much change there).

I may consider this but it is quite a drastic step. I do have space on the HDD though so I could install a lighter distro alongside for testing.

F. no and yes. the drivers should be up-to-date at all times, so no need to worry there (CURSE YOU UBUNTU UPDATE!), running anything graphics or CPU heavy is always not a good idea, ESPECIALLY on a DELL.

How do I find out what graphics hardware I have in Linux? I think it may be an ATI Radion 9000 which is concerning as there are posts on other threads saying the 9600 (presumably newer than the 9000) is ancient and does not support OGLA.

If I run it without OGLA it now works with a usable framerate (around 8fps) but still with many graphic elements (runway, ground?!?!?) missing. I also think it might be having problems after a short period: I was heading for orbit when I suddenly lost control. Could be pilot error though!

Thanks for the reply thus far.

--- Morat

Linguofreak

Reaction score
well, almost glitch free. there are still a few things that it doesn't like (the new sketchpad interface doesn't work for me). most addons seem to work, orbiter sound runs without a hitch.

Orbiter sound works without a hitch with Orbiter_ng and OGLAClient?

I've not yet tried it, being a bit afraid to do so since it's not the executable Orbiter sound was built to work with. But it does work?

Morat

Reaction score
hmm, are you sure you activated the OGLA client in the modulus tab?
That's what I am wondering about. it does not appear in the list of available modules. Can I just add it? Instructions how would be appreciated though I sure I can find out myself.

But does the fact that it does not appear mean I have done something wrong?

This is what I did:
I extracted the OLGAClient zip to a temporary directory.
Capitalised the directory names
Copied the contents of the temporary directory over the Orbiter directory.

I have attached the result of
Code:
find . -name '*' -print
if it is any help.

--- Morat

Attachments

• files.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 3

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's what I am wondering about. it does not appear in the list of available modules. Can I just add it? Instructions how would be appreciated though I sure I can find out myself.

But does the fact that it does not appear mean I have done something wrong?

This is what I did:
I extracted the OLGAClient zip to a temporary directory.
Capitalised the directory names
Copied the contents of the temporary directory over the Orbiter directory.

I have attached the result of
Code:
find . -name '*' -print
if it is any help.

--- Morat
Have you manually browsed the Modules\Plugin subfolder to see if OGLAClient.dll is there? That's where all the plugin modules goes so that Orbiter can find them.

Morat

Reaction score
Have you manually browsed the Modules\Plugin subfolder to see if OGLAClient.dll is there? That's where all the plugin modules goes so that Orbiter can find them.

Oops! I had missed capitalisation of a subfolder! OGLAClient.dll was sitting on its own in "Modules/plugin" instead of with all the other DLLs in "Modules/Plugin". It now appears in Available Modules and, having activated it, it now starts up when I run a scenario.

Unfortunately it then crashes! Crash occurs on the splashscreen.

• When running the OGLA-Atlantis-Launch scenario, it appears to die when loading a vessel (text is hard to read as it overlays previous messages). The Windows desktop window freezes and the shell reports "i915_program_error: Exceeded max ALU instructions"
  • When running the GR Test scenario, it appears to die when loading the Orbiter Core. A windows dialog pops up with "The program Orbiter.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" and the shell reports "wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x000003c0 at address 0x490b95 (thread 001e), starting debugger..." followed by lots of debug info which I have attached.
I am running the latest Orbiter 2010 (100606) but OLGAClient is 091029 and the splash screen is all "Orbiter 2009". Is there a later OLGAClient? Should I use an earlier Orbiter build?

I am getting there, slowly.

--- Morat.

Attachments

• runlog.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 2

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I may consider this but it is quite a drastic step. I do have space on the HDD though so I could install a lighter distro alongside for testing.
Ubuntu may not be the lightest distro, but I don't think it's any heavier than Windows 7. A complete distro change shouldn't be attempted before you try one of Ubuntu's lighter cousins-- Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Debian is okay, but there are many things about it which left me unsatisfied. For one thing it basically comes out of the box with generic Gnome desktop programs and nothing more. I had to really get my hands dirty adding and installing programs before I was happy.

Morat

Reaction score

Thanks.

I restored my original Orbiter install and used this latest OGLAClient.

Now, if I run the Cube test scenario, I get into Orbiter. There are no textures though on the planet surface or on the Cube and the Delta Glider is grey rather than the usual red. Framerate is good. Running at 800x600. Image attached.

If I turn on Terrain (F7-5) then the framerate drops to 1 or 2 fps but I can't see any visual difference.

The Artifact Demo Scenario hangs on the splash-screen, as does the DG to ISS checklist scenario. The shell reports "i915_program_error: Unsupported opcode: IF". The DG ISS to MIR checklist scenario does run (but with no textures/terrain).

Any idea why some scenarios do not run?
Any idea why I get no textures / terrain?

Interestingly, I got that old OGLAClient from http://orbides.1gb.ru/ogla.php. Can't remember how I got to that page but maybe the author could update it with a link to the correct download page?

--- Morat

Attachments

• screenshot-100812_12-11-40-224.jpg
    screenshot-100812_12-11-40-224.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
you need to disable advanced shadows and some other OGLA features before it will run... almost. I still have problems with planetary textures.

Morat

Reaction score
you need to disable advanced shadows and some other OGLA features before it will run... almost. I still have problems with planetary textures.

Advanced Shadows? Where's that? Do you mean Advanced Graphics (AG)? With AG on I get just a donut of light around the horizon of the planet during the day. With AG off, the daylight side of the planet is all illuminated. Unfortunately it is also featureless. A can't get any planetary detail at all. It's as if Orbiter can't find any textures.

Performance is now acceptable on Ubuntu now though.

But I still get lots of crashes. such that it is not actually playable. I would be constantly waiting for the crash.

--- Morat.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Thanks for the HowTo, Cinder. It works for me.

I have a very small fix:

Code:
cd OGLA.TEMP
cp modules Modules
cp config Config
rm config
cd Modules
cp plugins Plugins
rm plugins

could be changed to:

Code:
cd OGLA.TEMP
mv modules Modules
mv config Config
cd Modules
mv plugin Plugin

Note as well, that there's not pluginS dir, just plugin.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Code:
cd OGLA.TEMP
mv modules Modules
mv config Config
cd Modules
mv plugin Plugin

Note as well, that there's not pluginS dir, just plugin.

Even better IMO would be:
Code:
ln -s modules Modules
ln -s config Config
ln -s plugin Plugin
This way if you extract an add-on from an archive with lower case folders, it's extracted to proper directories, without need for moving all the files later.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
And what's going to happen to your links if you extract an addon with capital starting letters? :)