Orbiter 2010 in Linux

jimblah

Reaction score
Videocard purchase

Under normal circumstances I would post this to the thread that deals with hardware.
But it is wine/linux specific and will directly impact your experience with Orbiter.
I was thinking about getting an Ati card just based on it's specs.
https://launchpad.net/bugs/bugtrackers/ati-linux-bugs
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?10104-AMD-ATI-Linux-WINE-FAIL...-all-around.
What good are the specs if the card is just going to give you grief?
Nvidia has better driver support for now.
I ordered this card instead. I should get it in the next day or so.
Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512MB DDR3 256-Bit

Quix0r

Reaction score
Website
www.ship-simu.org
If you use winetricks, remember that it will install native (Windozer) DLLs and programs which you normally don't want (because you normally want to use the Wine DLLs). To still have vcrunXXXX installed, you need to use WINEPREFIX.

So here is some shell code:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/orbiter2010
winetricks vcrunXXXX (what ever you need and where it is installed)
cd  ~/orbiter2010/
wine Orbiter.exe
Always remember to execute that ''export' line or but it in a shell script, called orbiter2010.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

export WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/orbiter2010
cd  ~/orbiter2010/
wine Orbiter.exe
I did this WINEPREFIX-trick with Civ5 (Demo) and winetest (the test shell).

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
Platinum Status anyone?

Check out winelib. These guys are back-porting the windows port of gimp to wine. Still think they can't handle orbiter? Wanna know why orbiter's never hit gold before? Check out the prior activity at Wine Appd for orbiter. Maybe two mediocre bug reports at best. The rest are a bunch of anonymous looky-loos (real estate term for people who don't buy). Before you complain that you can't get it to work, invest the time to file a proper bug report to wine's standards and follow the bug's life cycle at bugzilla. You'll be glad you did.:thumbup:

P.S. I wouldn't submit that bug report just yet... Wine doesn't support native windows dll's (vcrun2005 is needed for Orbiter to even run on wine). They might not even look at the bug reports as a result. I've sent them an email because I wanted to submit a handful of bugs in at bugzilla for wine 1.3.15.:facepalm:

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
They will help us with bug reports

:headbang:
An example of the kind of support that is offered at Bugzilla:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6457
You may have to create an account at bugzilla to view this...
If you search for orbiter you will find two bugs submitted; one in 2006 and the other in 2008. In both cases more than one wine developer looked and commented at the thread for each bug to help resolve the issue. For one they even created a patch for local git-wine installs plus registry hacks. The fact that native dll's were used did not diminish their efforts or impact their response time. The requirements for a proper bug report are just a little more demanding than one for Orbiter:
http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/bug-reporting

Last edited:

Malky

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be useful for anyone, but here are my results:

Orbiter 2010 running in 64bit xubuntu without problem. I didn't got any of the two graphic clients working yet, but at the moment I'm too lazy to work on it.
I had problem with spacecraft actions activated with number keys, shift+numpad keys worked.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I have been trying to get Orbiter running on my netbook running Linux Mint 17.3 for some time. I have gone through the procedure to configure wine (using v 1.8). When I run orbiter_ng.exe and attempt to launch a scenario, I get "D3D9Client Error: Graphics card does not meet minimum requirements to run D3D9Client", and then crashes when I close the window. This is baffling because I was using this very notebook to run Orbiter when I had Windows XP installed on it.

Orbiter Log said:
**** Orbiter.log
Build Aug 30 2010 [v.100830]
Timer precision: 1e-007 sec
Found 0 joystick(s)
Module AtlantisConfig.dll .... [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module DGConfigurator.dll .... [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module AtmConfig.dll ......... [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module D3D9Client.dll ........ [Build 150111, API 100830]

**** Creating simulation session
D3D9Client: [DirectX 9 Initialized]
D3D9Client: Sytem has XNA math support
[Pixel Shader Version 3.0 is required (i.e. DirectX 9.0c)]
D3D9Client:FAIL: [Pixel Shader Version 3.0 is required (i.e. DirectX 9.0c)]
D3D9Client: ERROR: Failed to initialize 3D Framework
ERROR: Failed to initialize 3D Framework

My setup

Code:
Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana)
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK product: 1000H v: x.x
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: 1000H v: x.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 1701 date: 02/18/2009
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
           flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3192
           clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.3.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           driver: ath5k bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet
           driver: ATL1E port: ec00 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (24.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9160310AS size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 146G used: 36G (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.01GB (1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 444.1/992.9MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28

This is on a clean install of Orbiter 100830 with the latest d3d9 client.

Any thoughts?

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
When I run orbiter_ng.exe and attempt to launch a scenario, I get "D3D9Client Error: Graphics card does not meet minimum requirements to run D3D9Client", and then crashes when I close the window. This is baffling because I was using this very notebook to run Orbiter when I had Windows XP installed on it.

There's something to keep in mind when dealing with WINE - it can be not an emulator, but it's still a simulator.

The Direct3D calls are converted in runtime into OpenGL, and that conversion costs CPU. The ATOM N270 is a capable chip (My Media Center is a MiniITX with N270, and I used to play Orbiter 2010 on it too), but it's far from being high performance - my old crap, an Athlon XP 3200+, is way faster (as long multithreading is not involved).

For the sake of comparison, I'm running Orbiter 2010P1 in a MacMini 2011 under WineSkin (WINE packaged with bells and whistles for MacOS), and I get 40 to 60% max the FPS I get in the old crap - that Athlon XP).

That said, did you tried to use the D3D7 default renderers? If they work fine, it's probably a issue on the graphic drivers on WINE, that does not support D3D9 yet (or can't do it on the N270).

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That said, did you tried to use the D3D7 default renderers? If they work fine, it's probably a issue on the graphic drivers on WINE, that does not support D3D9 yet (or can't do it on the N270).

I haven't been able to get Orbiter to run, period. I suspect that the hardware drivers are simply incompatible, but I really haven't verified this. I'm a bit uncertain what does what to be honest.

I should note that I have a completely clean install of Orbiter, another clean install with the D3XD7 client, and another D3DX9 client.

Attempting to simply run orbiter.exe through wine, on initial installation check it can't seem to find a suitable DirectX renderer of any sort and of course crashes.

Using Orbiter_ng.exe with D3DX9 module checked gets me to the startup, but when I go to launch a simulation it tells me that the graphics card does not meet minimum requirements. I get the following orbiter.log:

Code:
**** Orbiter.log 
Found 0 joystick(s) 
Module D3D9Client.dll ........ [Build 150111, API 100830] 

**** Creating simulation session 
D3D9Client: [DirectX 9 Initialized] 
D3D9Client: Sytem has XNA math support 
[Pixel Shader Version 3.0 is required (i.e. DirectX 9.0c)] 
D3D9Client:FAIL: [Pixel Shader Version 3.0 is required (i.e. DirectX 9.0c)] 
D3D9Client: ERROR: Failed to initialize 3D Framework 
ERROR: Failed to initialize 3D Framework

Using Orbiter_ng.exe with D3DX7 module checked gets me to the startup, but when I go to launch a simulation it simply crashes. I get the following orbiter.log but I definitely have the graphics engine plugin checked.

Code:
**** Orbiter.log 
Found 0 joystick(s) 
Module D3D7Client.dll ........ [Build 141222, API 141222] 
Error loading module Modules\Plugin\D3D7Client.dll (code 998)

Anything I should be checking?

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It appears to me that the D3D7 and D3D9 on the standard WINE distribution is incomplete or missing.

Perhaps this link can help?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It appears to me that the D3D7 and D3D9 on the standard WINE distribution is incomplete or missing.

Perhaps this link can help?

I wonder what version of wine he is using? Orbiter runs for me on wine, so I think at least D3D7 is working in lubuntu 14.04 wine version.

Flow

Reaction score
I had trouble getting Orbiter to work just using Wine and Winetricks. Was going to give up but tried Play on Linux using this guide:

http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/orbiter-space-flight-simulator-guide.452/

Used the version of Wine shown in this guide and everything works fine. I do have different hardware to you but am running Mint 17.3.

The error message does look as if something is missing from the d3dx9 package in Wine and the above guide uses dxfullsetup instead.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I wonder what version of wine he is using? Orbiter runs for me on wine, so I think at least D3D7 is working in lubuntu 14.04 wine version.

I'm currently using wine 1.8, but I have tried several times over the past year or so with older versions of wine, no luck. I think the lack of graphic driver support from Intel is what is killing me. I'm hoping against hope for a miracle. I haven't played Orbiter in a long time.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

The error message does look as if something is missing from the d3dx9 package in Wine and the above guide uses dxfullsetup instead.

I've been through that as well, makes no difference.

Intel does not support the N270 chip on Linux Mint, but it does on Ubuntu. Since Ubuntu is really the base under Linux Mint, there is an end-run that one can do, simply getting the installer to temporarily recognize Linux Mint as an Ubuntu install. I attempted this and thought it worked, but it did not for some reason. I don't have any drivers for this particular chip showing.

Last edited:

Flow

Reaction score
The recent versions of Mint (17,17.1,17.2 and 17.3) are all based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

It is possible Intel have dropped support for your chip for this LTS version of Ubuntu. Have you tried using just an Ubuntu install using the latest release?

I've found that support for integrated graphics on Intel chips to be very good on Mint - using a i5-6600 at the moment and it's running Orbiter perfectly in Mint 17.3. Are you having any problems with graphics on any other programs or games?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The recent versions of Mint (17,17.1,17.2 and 17.3) are all based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It is possible Intel have dropped support for your chip for this LTS version of Ubuntu. Have you tried using just an Ubuntu install using the latest release?

The Intel Graphics Driver installer doesn't work with Ubuntu 14.04, not sure why they are dumping support for LTS. I haven't tried an Ubuntu install, but that is probably my next attempt.

I've found that support for integrated graphics on Intel chips to be very good on Mint - using a i5-6600 at the moment and it's running Orbiter perfectly in Mint 17.3. Are you having any problems with graphics on any other programs or games?

I don't game much, just Orbiter. I just use browser and office software, no graphics issues to speak of. Mint works great for what I use it for, except for getting Orbiter running.

Flow

Reaction score
One other thing that might be worth trying if you really like Mint is to drop back one step to 17.2. A look at the release notes here:

http://linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon.php

shows all the previous 17 releases use the same slightly earlier versions of the xorg and mesa graphics drivers which might work better with your chip.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Debian Stable + Intel

I'm happy to inform, that my Debian Stable ("jessie"), is able to run Orbiter 2010 with both DX7 (25 FPS) and DX9 (60 FPS), using Nouveau drivers on Intel Ivybridge Mobile chip. I only had to uninstall the, now slowly obsolete, NVIDIA drivers and it worked.

One thing that I can complain about though, is that sometimes Orbiter stops reacting on keyboard. I associate it with opening the Win32 in-game menus.

Last edited: